Biggest crash in stock market history?

THATmanMANNY

Held on as lon go as I could both weeks before some positions started turning red. More volatile ones. The blue chips held on.

glad I sold last week and glad I did today. Nice come back today but You just never know what Monday or next week will bring. Better to buy during a general upswing not one day or two.

1614979810910.jpeg

Last edited:

RobW

Things are making a turn it seems after the great sell off.
The childcare issue ia one factor keeping people from working. Most people want purpose and realize that prolonged unemployment makes it harder to get employed. with schools running wonky schedules and other care options off the table its job in itself trying to arrange work schedules in a two income house. We’re dropping 3k+ month in child care, having to pay days we don’t always need but need to reserve. I’m not complaining, but that requires an income of at least 70k to break even closer to 100k to make worth while.
I can see that being an issue for families that need childcare- 1, it’s tough to get it, 2 it’s expensive

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Lots of bleeding in tech. TSLA may be a good buy here at the bottom of it’s channel. I think we have a ways to go down yet though. If TSLA hits $495 I am buying. For all the other SPACS...well do you like gambling? GME may be the next TSLA 🤣

THATmanMANNY

still bullish on crypto/BTC. This may actually be an infliction point for BTC where tech crashes and BTC takes off even higher. I'm liking the slow comeback.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
still bullish on crypto/BTC. This may actually be an infliction point for BTC where tech crashes and BTC takes off even higher. I'm liking the slow comeback.
Real question, how commerce in dollars is actually being transacted with cryto?

THATmanMANNY

Do you mean how much value is actually transacted by commerce. It’s only a few billion. It is dwarfed by the double digit trillions of credit card companies.

THATmanMANNY

I’ll accept BTC or ETH for anything I sell here ha

not much but it definitely will come to a Starbucks near you
https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin/who-accepts/

retail investors + business investors + growing merchants + limited coins ... that spells everyone is trying to get their hands on BTC as much and as quick as they can which means it’s going to keep rising in value

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Real question, how commerce in dollars is actually being transacted with cryto?

it isn't.
they will claim it is, because you can buy gift cards (ie visa/mc) in specific amounts and use them.
i think there is 1 hotel chain, and some peeps in vegas.
it is a bunch of speculators playing chicken.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Do you mean how much value is actually transacted by commerce. It’s only a few billion. It is dwarfed by the double digit trillions of credit card companies.
it isn't.
they will claim it is, because you can buy gift cards (ie visa/mc) in specific amounts and use them.
i think there is 1 hotel chain, and some peeps in vegas.
it is a bunch of speculators playing chicken.
Yes, this is what I meant, I should have said "How Much?". What I suspected is not much. Why do we think that will change?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I’ll accept BTC or ETH for anything I sell here ha

not much but it definitely will come to a Starbucks near you
https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin/who-accepts/

retail investors + business investors + growing merchants + limited coins ... that spells everyone is trying to get their hands on BTC as much and as quick as they can which means it’s going to keep rising in value
So then what is it's long term intrinsic value?

Patrick

Staff member
So then what is it's long term intrinsic value?

it has none other than the agreement to exchange it for goods/services - which nobody does.
paper money is kinda like that too, only it is somewhat stable because everyone uses it.
as opposed to gold or silver - which can be used for industrial or artistic purposes.

here is a little mind tease.
if someone purchased all of the bitcoin, what would it be worth?
The whole idea is that they can't make more after a certain point.

there are no barriers to starting a new digital currency - fire up a server, and start TimCoin
Useful for bike parts and beer. :D

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
it has none other than the agreement to exchange it for goods/services - which nobody does.
paper money is kinda like that too, only it is somewhat stable because everyone uses it.
as opposed to gold or silver - which can be used for industrial or artistic purposes.

here is a little mind tease.
if someone purchased all of the bitcoin, what would it be worth?
The whole idea is that they can't make more after a certain point.

there are no barriers to starting a new digital currency - fire up a server, and start TimCoin
Useful for bike parts and beer. :D
That's my point, for paper money everyone uses it. What is going to make people use crypto? I keep hearing that it's secure blah, blah. What happens when you forget your password or someone hacks it? There is no crypto FDIC.

Patrick

Staff member
That's my point, for paper money everyone uses it. What is going to make people use crypto? I keep hearing that it's secure blah, blah. What happens when you forget your password or someone hacks it? There is no crypto FDIC.

i think that is solvable - giving up anonymity for a way to recover your keys.
combo of biometrics, personally known info, and token?

right now it is just speculators. hard to ignore because of the numbers - FOMO stuff.

THATmanMANNY

you guys are stuck on the now

No one uses gold to pay for anything either. The world has made it valuable over centuries. Unlike gold, BTC it is easy to store and easy enough to use. The world is going to make BTC valuable and with increasing concerns of inflation anyone in the world can hold BTC and use it to exchange anywhere (i.e. world currency without some central taking exchange rates). Also, in countries with non stable currency, BTC use is rising.

I'm not touting invest your life in it but a certain percentage is acceptable. Long term, there is more upside than down.

Re: it can drop tomorrow
Yea, but I'm not saying pay my salary in BTC. Contrary, you get paid in BTC and it doubles in value in 5 years.

Re: value
The actual dollar value of what BTC is worth is irrelevant. It will level off ONE DAY and be stable, probably not my lifetime even. It will be normal one day to say you can pay me 0.000001 BTC and understand if that is fair.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member

No one uses gold to pay for anything either. The world has made it valuable over centuries. Unlike gold, BTC it is easy to store and easy enough to use. The world is going to make BTC valuable and with increasing concerns of inflation anyone in the world can hold BTC and use it to exchange anywhere (i.e. world currency without some central taking exchange rates). Also, in countries with non stable currency, BTC use is rising.

I'm not touting invest your life in it but a certain percentage is acceptable. Long term, there is more upside than down.

Yea, but I'm not saying pay my salary in BTC. Contrary, you get paid in BTC and it doubles in value in 5 years.

The actual dollar value of what BTC is worth is irrelevant. It will level off ONE DAY and be stable, probably not my lifetime even. It will be normal one day to say you can pay me 0.000001 BTC and understand if that is fair.

unless it goes to zero -
because there are no barriers to entry for other digital currency.

there will always be some exchange rate - cause a gallon of milk in one place is different than a gallon elsewhere.
(it may be reflected in the product price, rather than the payment ?)
a market where audit becomes difficult is unacceptable. so there will have to be a third party involved.

here is an interesting one - all the bitcoins have been mined - then the miners will need to take a piece of each transaction
to maintain the blockchain - it isn't going to be free. they'll do it on a percentage? or fixed? or combo? sounds like a credit card company.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim

Yes, but gold is gold. I can still take gold to a dealer and get money for it. What is bitcoin? Why is bitcoin worth any more or less than any of the other (or future) cryptos, just because it was the first?

Top Bottom