Best DH in NJ.... Not MCBP...

I know it’s not in NJ but Painted Apron in Port Jervis is a killer enduro trail.
Ha ha were you out there today. We were and my first time down painted apron, except I didn't have the right tool. I was wishing for my Ripmo with all those gap jumps. Rigid SS made for quite a dance. Place is awesome.

Yeah we got there about 9am this morning (blue stumpjumper) we hit painted apron then cosmic Charlie and then finished with five bridges. I like that place a lot, even though there’s a lot of climbing, it’s all fire roads up. My legs don’t burn nearly as bad as a long day at Stephens or Allamuchy.

I know it’s not in NJ but Painted Apron in Port Jervis is a killer enduro trail.
Ha ha were you out there today. We were and my first time down painted apron, except I didn't have the right tool. I was wishing for my Ripmo with all those gap jumps. Rigid SS made for quite a dance. Place is awesome.

Funny you mention that! Hit Painted Apron for the first time today as well (sadly didn't see another MTBer all day) and was on a rigid SS also. Even with the wrong tool it was such a blast. My first ever enduro rig arrives tomorrow so I'll be making another trip back ASAP to fully run P.A. and the others.

From the top of the ridge down to the group campsite in round valley is probably the longest sustained downhill ive ridden in nj not ultra quality but still really fast and fun.

Also not in nj but northface up at elm ridge is one of my favorite that ive ridden in this general area long lots of vert with optional ledge drops.

I've been putting together a nice list of DHs in mooch not counting the mtbnj fest enduro run. I pretty much have almost 5 stage enduro on tap. Of course being bias I would prefer an emtb enduro with timed climbs as well.

The run from top of cardiac to the new goat flow trail being the shiny star. Exactly 1mile, not shabby for NJ

The second being a short but extremely all out on the edge is my favorite, @Fat Trout and i cleaned this one to keep the throttle wide open.
Screenshot_20230905_084954_Strava.jpg

Third is off the backside of purple, another short one but eyes to the lines is a must.
Screenshot_20230905_085121_Strava.jpg

The fourth is probably one that needs most studying to find the perfect lines. This one most do not roll this white section because of the bypass was put in for a reason, it's a brutal climb.
Screenshot_20230905_085323_Strava.jpg

Yellow to white and mtbnj fest get honorable mentions.

So this was the main reason an ebike is in my life, more laps more fun!

Hard pressed to think of many sustained downhills in NJ but as far as mostly downhill, here are some of my favs:

Wildcat new way down
Wildcat blue down
Wildcat Oreland down
Ringwood white
Ringwood warm puppy
Sourlands boulderama final downhill to the lot
Chimney rock yellow to the 4way
Jungle cages to tiger pen
Jungle Fish (until I got wide bars lol)
Recently discovered and new favorite for me is at Stephen's: Skeezix-Funyuns-Trestle

How are you of all people just finding those trails?! It’s such a fun run! I enjoy it way more than Talley Hoe or whatever the machine cut DH is…it’s fun too but just a lot of work for a 30 sec run. Stephen’s is awesome.
Stephen's is a place i just never got to until like this year. I can count on one hand the number of times i've ridden anywhere in Allamuchy. Where is there a machine cut DH? Tally Ho doesnt seem machine built to me but i do think it's overrated. Just washed out and loose. Hally Toe climb to get up there is a hand-built masterpiece trailbuilding-wise though. Kudos to that trailbuilder.

Reactions: don
Stephen's is a place i just never got to until like this year. I can count on one hand the number of times i've ridden anywhere in Allamuchy. Where is there a machine cut DH? Tally Ho doesnt seem machine built to me but i do think it's overrated. Just washed out and loose. Hally Toe climb to get up there is a hand-built masterpiece trailbuilding-wise though. Kudos to that trailbuilder.
Same. The singletrack climb is much more of a masterpiece than the repurposed fire road DH IMO. I consider it one of the best constructed trails I've ridden. Thought they were built by the same person?

I guess it wasn’t machine cut, I just know they made a big fucking deal about it at the time, and it has berms and such. @gmb3 you should definitely get a proper tour some day. There’s a ton of hidden goodness in there.

I guess it wasn’t machine cut, I just know they made a big fucking deal about it at the time, and it has berms and such. @gmb3 you should definitely get a proper tour some day. There’s a ton of hidden goodness in there.
i got one main tour from ExtremeDave, then have explored on my own twice. Still exploring. Pyramid is also a fav but short.

How are you of all people just finding those trails?! It’s such a fun run! I enjoy it way more than Talley Hoe or whatever the machine cut DH is…it’s fun too but just a lot of work for a 30 sec run. Stephen’s is awesome.
I think it was popular for a hot second as it was really the only climb then descend flow trail pretty much that isn't loaded up with rocks.

But once we started going the "regular" loop that has Skeezix-Funyuns-Trestle, it never seemed worth it to hit up Tally Ho as the former ends up being more fun especially as all the trails to get there.

Overall mixing that into the middle of a start going around Tilcon Lake and then up the northern trails as the warmup makes for a great ride, and then the option of the maze. It's then hard to get to the other side of the maze and want to climb for an OK but not great downhill.

Many of the rides I've been on when we get to the end of Trestle and have the option of the Maze people are done with the ride as it's not going to get more fun by doing the maze and then Tally Ho.

If im going through the maze and climbing that god forsake million switchback climb, im going across the top and coming down meisterburger - white, much more enjoyable IMO than tally ho
and now i have another new-to-me trail to find!

I must be on an island
Skee funz trestle is not a DH
Yes its flowing dh but it's a blue xc dh not your bike park like blue dh. It has what 8ft long steep haha.
Tallyho sucks but at least it had some fall lines to it. Tally ho always sucked except for as steve says for a hot minute. If some want to put time into a trail in that park for a DH it would be the orange trail at the far end that no one rides. That has all the ingredients for bike park like DH.

Now of the 3 parks mooch has the trails for DHs. Off the top of Cardiac to the new goat trail is worthy of laps. Just my Opinion.

I must be on an island
Skee funz trestle is not a DH
Yes its flowing dh but it's a blue xc dh not your bike park like blue dh. It has what 8ft long steep haha.
Tallyho sucks but at least it had some fall lines to it. Tally ho always sucked except for as steve says for a hot minute. If some want to put time into a trail in that park for a DH it would be the orange trail at the far end that no one rides. That has all the ingredients for bike park like DH.

Now of the 3 parks mooch has the trails for DHs. Off the top of Cardiac to the new goat trail is worthy of laps. Just my Opinion.
Yes. Blue XC DH that's fun. That's not really easy to find in NJ for more than 15 seconds which is why it's popular.

Back
Top Bottom