Best bike transport rack???

Back when I had a frontier I had 2 Rocky mounts on the front utilitrack (think I got them from @Carson) and a kuat hitch mount. As long as the wheelbase didn’t require the tailgate be down I had capacity for 4 bikes.
What size bikes did you have in the front utilitrack and were able to close the tailgate? The GMC canyon I think has a bed that is a few inches longer than the frontier but it doesnt have the utilitrack. I wound have to mount something up front.

If you’re getting another pick up truck why not get a tailgate pad
Im not a big fan of a tailgate pad , That would probably be the easiest thing to do. I use my truck for work so im constantly opening the tailgate. A rack would be in the way all the time. I'll have to see what I end up with. Not too many pickups on the dealers lots. Sucks buying a vehicle or house right now lol. At least in NJ

Im not a big fan of a tailgate pad , That would probably be the easiest thing to do. I use my truck for work so im constantly opening the tailgate. A rack would be in the way all the time. I'll have to see what I end up with. Not too many pickups on the dealers lots. Sucks buying a vehicle or house right now lol. At least in NJ

I still have that it was great and it works on everything

If you have to go with a bike rack 1 Up is the deal. If you are spending a good amount of $$$ on a bike why would you carry it on a junky bike rack.
Who said I spend good $ on bikes? Maybe i got a junky bike lol. A lot of votes here for the 1 Up rack and you do have a good point all humor aside :thumbsup:

I have a tailgate pad and I bought a set of flat hooks. Takes me about 60 seconds to put it on or take it off as needed.

Cargo Equipment Corp. 1" Black Flat Hook 25 Pack Amazon product ASIN B08BVXXBGC
I probably have a bunch left if you wanted to do the same....

Not sure how much bed space you need for work but Thule insta-gator is another pickup alternative. Can fit in a short bed with bike at an angle

What size bikes did you have in the front utilitrack and were able to close the tailgate? The GMC canyon I think has a bed that is a few inches longer than the frontier but it doesnt have the utilitrack. I wound have to mount something up front.
I have a md 29”FS and 29” cross that I normally would have to keep the tailgate down for, but if I offset the rear wheel to the side I could close the gate. It does require removing the front wheel.

I may be getting a different pickup truck and may need to buy a bike rack (trailer receiver) to transport my bikes around. What is the best bike rack (quality and security wise)? It has to be able to carry 2 bikes at a time. Fat, gravel, road and XC bikes. And must a dedicated 2" receiver. Not have a 1 1/4" with a 2" sleeve on it. Thanks in advance.
My brother would have received a pro-deal on Thule, Kuat, etc. No pro-deal on 1UP. bought it anyway because of the quality and the build

I’m a fan of the newer Thule t2 pro. Lifetime warranty is legit. The new version beats their old stuff.
A lifetime warranty is a fairy tale. There is nothing that lasts forever. I'm wondering how it can beat classic stuff like InstaGater Pro(look at review)?

Last edited:
Not sure how much bed space you need for work but Thule insta-gator is another pickup alternative. Can fit in a short bed with bike at an angle

I'll add to your confusion and suggest that you make your own mount for the bed. After agonizing over all the alternatives, I concluded that I also didn't like tailgate pads, and the idea of extra length(!) added to my pickup also wasn't too appealing. I came across a few guys who made various mounts for the bed, and I ended up with what I have now for around $50. It's a 2x6 painted with Flex Seal, notched to follow the contour of the bed, with angle brackets between the tailgate and the bed, and a mount from Amazon. It doesn't move even a bit when driving. My XL hardtail fits straight in, the longer enduro has to be angled to the corner. I secure the front wheel with a industrial velcro strap.

The Thule insta-gator made the short list, definitely a worthy alternative IMO.

Epic truck mount.jpg

A lifetime warranty is a fairy tale. There is nothing lasts forever. I'm wondering how it can beat classic stuff like InstaGater Pro?

it is the lifetime of the original owner, not the rack. ;)

although i've gotten free bits from thule for older racks. just turn on the charm!

Back
Top Bottom