Belgian beers. assphynctersayswhat?

al415

Banned
+1 for the omygodhowdoyouspellthategang RARE VOS

Other than that I reckon Belgian beer is best consumed in Belgium

The beers I seem to enjoy the most at present are American interpretations of European standards. The DFH IPA 90 being the most obvious example.

mwlikesbikes

It did make me think fondly on the fun of Holy Grail Ale- which I need to try again, though that might be too sweet. Anybody else try the HGA?

I did recently for the first time, got the big pint bottle. It was allright. I agree a bit on the sweet side. I might have to try it again for a second chance.

I just got some Hades belgian style from Great divide brewing, had one of the six so far and so far I like it. :)

DR.K

cask ale tapping at triumph princeton

first wed of every month at 6pm triumph in princeton does a barrel tapping [actual wooden keg] ...if your a beer head this is the place to be..oh yea the first taste is free ... see you there cheers

ArmyOfNone

first wed of every month at 6pm triumph in princeton does a barrel tapping [actual wooden keg] ...if your a beer head this is the place to be..oh yea the first taste is free ... see you there cheers

Yes! Thank you for reminding me. Although I was there last week and was not to impressed. Their beers taste pretty standard to me. :(

Ian F

I like the Lindeman's Lambic beers once in awhile... but they're definitely on the fruity "non-beer-like" side of the spectrum... they're the only beers my g/f doesn't mind.

In case anyone is interested, the "Super Saver" (formerly 'Circle Liquors', IIRC) on the Rt 31 Pennington Circle has the full line of Lindeman's Lambic beers. Not cheap, tho... at around $6/bottle (500ml).

DR.K

triump's imperial stout cask

very tasty,not crazy sweet, heavy hitter ...they also had acouple of vintage bottles from 06'... but i didn't get there early enough.. bummer...did anyone else make it on wed?

C

cookin2nite

belgium rules

Chimay is excellent Trappist beer. Duvel is High end macro brew. Stella Artois is their biggest macro brew. And Budweiser everywhere else in the world is considered a classy import.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Bruges Zot

I picked this up yesterday at Marketplace in East Brunswick:

http://www.halvemaan.be/e/bieren.htm

I mentioned to Walter (who also happened to be there) that this has been on my radar for a while, but I've not yet sampled it. I'll post some comments once I have.

steve_mtb

Belgian style is my favorite. My top ones are:
riverhorse triple horse - its like 9% so don't be driving anywhere..
lucy last call - you have to go to veracious brewery in CT for this one.. I am a regular there.
fat tire has a good Belgian
chimay
raison dextra -dogfish.. its a dark belgian
golden monkey - victory

there is a liquor store in ewing NJ that has a good selection of beer. its 31 circle maybe in penntington.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Wow, talk about a trip down Amnesia Ave. This thread is quite a cross-section of forum history, complete with classic @anrothar thread title and ghosts of Posters Past.

As for the beer: I rarely buy Belgian or Belgian-style these days, but Allagash Black is a bottle-conditioned stout that fulfills the Belgian criteria and still makes it into my refrigerator.

Fire Lord Jim

I assume we mean Trappist style beers and not just any beer made within the borders of Belgium.

I have not been thrilled by Abbey Ales, or even Dubbels. It is the rare Quad that tastes more like beer than liquor. So my preferences keep me to drinking Trippels. Seasonally, River Horse makes a Raspberry Trippel Horse. It is different, but not something I would growler home. My favorite Belgian Trippel is aptly named "First Date: Third Base", a high ABV but drinkable beer. It is Trappist style, but made in my basement instead of Belgium.

Skunkape

The monks do not mess around. The perfect selection for a day like this. Tastes like history.

Attachments

• DA5637CA-633D-4851-88B2-6D6E1878FB77.jpeg
    DA5637CA-633D-4851-88B2-6D6E1878FB77.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom