Baldpate Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sounds pretty major, going to have to check that out. Any idea if they're going to utilize pros or need vols to do cleanup?

Thanks for building up that foundation 🙌
It will likely be a volunteer effort. I am trying to coordinate some TM days however with some of the staff changes at the park, they aren’t keen on advancing anything yet…

grilledcheeseking

Roger that, will keep an eye out. Maybe new staff will take a slightly different approach, in time. Or maybe / more likely the long-standing approach to these trails is top down.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
A6160366-52DB-4E11-A330-F1DB33657595.jpeg

FYI

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As a reminder, park is closed Thursday and Friday the next two weeks.

On the good news front, the park has giving me blanket approval for trimming on any trail that mtb's use, which is most of them. The damn prickers started getting perky about 2 weeks ago but obviously not an issue yet.

Also, the park approved a 500'+ reroute on the kuser trail to avoid the super muddy "chute" area about half way down the hill. I did the rough cut last week one day and started clearing the trail tread two other days. Some of the prickers in this area were crazy thick, which causes a potential maintenance issues down the road but there isn't really any where else to go. I did get past one of the really bad sections on Friday. In any case, this trail will go back and forth across the stone wall that parallels the Kuser trail and as of now, I have it on top of the stone wall for about 50'. The park did confirm that these walls are not historic so no issues moving rocks around and using them for armor. I am connecting back into the trail on the straightaway after the "chute" and then I will assess if it makes sense to add some more on the end. The green line below is the current trail and the blue is the reroute. Thank JORBA for buying tools for the work here...

1647350917856.png

998FBC1B-6300-4BD7-A1FF-AB0AFCD2B9BB.jpeg
5940A867-E9FF-45B3-8867-52E2369920DA.jpeg

This is the start of the new cut on the uphill side

MtTrailz

As a reminder, park is closed Thursday and Friday the next two weeks.

On the good news front, the park has giving me blanket approval for trimming on any trail that mtb's use, which is most of them. The damn prickers started getting perky about 2 weeks ago but obviously not an issue yet.

Also, the park approved a 500'+ reroute on the kuser trail to avoid the super muddy "chute" area about half way down the hill. I did the rough cut last week one day and started clearing the trail tread two other days. Some of the prickers in this area were crazy thick, which causes a potential maintenance issues down the road but there isn't really any where else to go. I did get past one of the really bad sections on Friday. In any case, this trail will go back and forth across the stone wall that parallels the Kuser trail and as of now, I have it on top of the stone wall for about 50'. The park did confirm that these walls are not historic so no issues moving rocks around and using them for armor. I am connecting back into the trail on the straightaway after the "chute" and then I will assess if it makes sense to add some more on the end. The green line below is the current trail and the blue is the reroute. Thank JORBA for buying tools for the work here...

View attachment 180775
View attachment 180776View attachment 180777
This is the start of the new cut on the uphill side
Thanks for your continued efforts in Bald Pate. I'll need to check out the reroute you detail. That trail section is usually a muddy, sloppy mess when not dry. Yes, the pricker briar is invasive, and a constant battle. Wish there was some brush-be-gone solution that could be used. Come May-July it grows faster that one can cut it down.

carvegybe

Anybody know if the trail from Baldpate to Pleasant Valley Rd is still overgrown? Been wanting to do a Baldpate-WaterCo ride when it's dry enough, but last time I tried this it felt like doing the Castle Run in the Millennium Falcon...

MtTrailz

Anybody know if the trail from Baldpate to Pleasant Valley Rd is still overgrown? Been wanting to do a Baldpate-WaterCo ride when it's dry enough, but last time I tried this it felt like doing the Castle Run in the Millennium Falcon...
There is a trail from the Pleasant Valley parking lot, along the power lines, all the way to Pleasant Valley Rd that was cleared in Oct. It goes up the back of and down what was the 'snake' trail, then back out on the blue trail to the power lines to PV rd. Spring time growth is kicking in and soon the bramble will take control again.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Baldpate was running great the past couple of weeks and last week especially. The trail in question is relatively clear and the pickers are growing again. The rain over the weekend saturated the Normal wet spots

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Someone has cleared pretty much all of the downed trees in the park, one left on Kuser. I havent put eyes on yellow though.

Been seeing a bunch if bear scat between the ridge trail and trails towards the powerline.

snashters

Rode here on Monday. A few trees down.
This one on red about 0.3 mile down hill from the junction with Ridge (white) & Switchback (yellow) trails.
PWySmAHMU2oIA9leI4t19O_iVbrfKDEgmfVgDz2VH9Y-2048x1536.jpg

This one on Ted Stiles trail, a few hundred feet from the junction with Pleasant Valley trail. There are other dead trees waiting to fall here.
eurP5JzzJe0GvLWHvOeyz8_EtDZ5rg-aAmA-g3cCvGM-1536x2048.jpg

This on Kuser at the powerline.
21gEACnCcLjDHTNBh9EXnehvzbTN824oGAZGcWEWqX4-1536x2048.jpg

Top Bottom