Anyone wearing knee pads?

trivan

So I was out at Six mile on Sunday and I took a turn, nothing crazy, not fast, but I guess I shifted my weight wrong and my back tire slipped from under me. Needless to say I went down, and scraped up my knee pretty bad. I cleaned it the best I could on the trail with the first aid kit I carry but it was still pretty bad.

I'm thinking it would make sense to get a set of knee pads as I'm sure I'll be falling again (as its part of the experience) and after getting home and having to clean it out with what seemed like a 1/2 bottle of peroxide and a few choice words getting some specs of dirt out, knee pads would serve me well.

I've seen them in ads for downhill but I'm not looking to go crazy with hard shells. Anyone using a soft one and if so recommendations for comfort?

Sincerely,
Getting old :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Yep. I use them at the Sourlands. I went to a local shop and tried on what was available and decided on what fit best.

I initially tried buying them online, but getting the fit right was too much of a pain in the butt for me.

The 661 veggie pads work alright but I prefer a well fitted hard shell now.

Pads a great idea, but I hardly use them, and therefore collect scars. If I'm riding primarily to seek out stunts, I wear pads. Most of my riding is longer rides though, and when you have to climb or do alot of pedaling, they're restrictive and you get hot. They suck for this type of riding. I just make peace with the fact that I will occasionally bleed, sometimes alot.

My husband wears these:
http://www.amazon.com/SixSixOne-Kne...375209744&sr=8-2&keywords=sixsixone+knee+pads
almost ALL the time and is very thankful for them.

I have started wearing them once in a while, depending on where I am riding, how fast I think I will be riding, or just how I feel.

They are not that hot, and I dont notice them at all, except when I do fall and it doesnt hurt :D

There is nothing wrong with a little prudence ;)

Only for DH, and I prefer a full shin/knee for that. There are some nice "knee only" but none of them are comfy. I find if you suit up too much, it gets to be too cumbersome.

I use these for Soulands and biking in Texas!!
http://g-form.com/products/knee-pad/

The pads are soft but go rock hard in a fall. For sizing go bigger if in between sizes. You do forget you are wearing them after a while. Also work great around house for putting in flooring.
For DH I have hard shell knee and shin pads. The

I have the 661 Veggies. I've been thankful having them on some really rocky terrain.

My only complaint is that the Velcro/strap on the back of the pad sometimes irritates my leg, especially on hot days.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will have to take a trip to a bike shop soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

for DH riding i wear knee pads i rock the 661's there supper comfy and if you looking for elbow pads im selling my 661's brand new never used. if you dont want people to really notice your wearing the knee pads get the 661 evo if you dont care what people thing get the 661 rage there supper comfy. let me know about the elbow pads.

here is a pic of me riding with it at the pro grt at creek

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-01 at 8.54.52 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-08-01 at 8.54.52 AM.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 139
Not sure if this topic has been the subject of another more recent thread, but I'm curious what everyone's doing five years down the road. Anyone regularly ride with knee pads when they are not doing DH? Any suggestions for comfortable pads that don't slip/shift?

+1 for g form for cross country riding. And +1 for going up a size in them.

I have other knee pads for DH riding. Fox something or other. The 661 knee pads were good for like two rides and then slipped down on me and became ankle bracelets. I ran out of Velcro strap and couldn't tighten them any further. :/

Edit: ^ it's the fox launch pro and the 661 riot

Last edited:
I wore the POC VPD 2.0 at Chimney Rock yesterday, but normally roc the POC Air. I have had them for 4 and 3 years, respectively, for 188 rides per year and they are in perfect condition. No knee scars.

I have a couple of pairs of 7iDP knee pads. The Control and the Covert. I bought the Control for enduro and DH, but find I use my old Dainese knee/shin guards more for the shin protection. I've used the Covert for some XC rides, but not often.

I'm still on the fence for general XC riding, although I did nail my knee at 6 Mile once on Orange - pedal clipped something that caused me to de-cleat and sent my knee into the bar or stem or something. Damn it hurt. I probably should wear knee pads - it might reduce some of my over-cautiousness in the corners.

Depends on where I'm riding: no knee pads at Lew Mo, Six Mile, Hartshorne, Allaire, but definitely yes at Chimney, Jungle, Mooch, anywhere else there are rocks. Also, how aggressive you are riding; looking for miles, or hitting every technical?

I have Race Face Indy knee pads. I like them quite a bit and dont find them super restrictive. But... like most responders, I dont wear them too often. If I think ill be doing more high-speed stuff, or if exploring a new trail system, Ill take them along for sure. But I prefer the pedaly side of things, so they get left in the truck most times.

Back
Top Bottom