Anyone have a knee replacement?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Just had my meniscus clipped and some old hardware removed from an old ACL repair. I'll be back on my feet in a week and on the bike by August. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to give up running for good. Doctor says he found more arthritis than he had expected and wants to discuss my options at our follow up appointment. He brought up "knee replacement" and it's freaking me out a bit. I've been told that I'm too young (41) for that and once you get a replacement, your range of motion and overall knee function decreases. Anyone have this done or know more about it?

:(

image_zps7257e2f1.jpg

My neighbor got his knee replaced last summer. I think I had to mow his lawn once, he was hardly down at all. He complains about it being really stiff but It's better than it was before. But he's 82 years old.

my mother in law had both knees replaced at the same time. she was/is overweight and had hip issues, so her walking stride got weird and blew up her knees.

when she was looking into knee types i was amazed at the choices. you may want to do some research on knee replacement stuff for athletes if you go that route.

she had her knees done in her mid-50s. i think she has a "20 year knee", so she may have to have it done again, or take them in for maintenance at some point - seriously.

My wife had a full knee replacement about 9 years ago. Being that she was on her feet all day for work, they gave her the most athletic knee available at the time. Honestly, I have no idea is this is 100% accurate for we took the Dr's words as gospel truth.

She was walking on it the day after surgery and feels 100% better with the new knee. That being said, she had most definitely lost mobility even after months of rehab. Keep in mind she was never athletic which I feel played a role in the recovery. If I were in your shoes, I would look at other options first making this one of the last options. Just my $0.02 from someone who only watched another go through it.

My wife (45) just had total knee replacement in February. At the hospital they had her walking that day- lots of pain. After about two months of rehab she is walking better now then 20 years ago. She is very pleased to get her life back and be able to walk and ride without pain anymore.

Every case is different- I hope it works out for you.

My wife (45) just had total knee replacement in February. At the hospital they had her walking that day- lots of pain. After about two months of rehab she is walking better now then 20 years ago. She is very pleased to get her life back and be able to walk and ride without pain anymore.

Every case is different- I hope it works out for you.

Virtua by chance??

Last edited:
Women and old folks... :hmmm:

Actually been reading that more and more young people (under 50) are opting for knee replacements and going back to a "fully active life." Playing tennis and going for long walks on the beach? I have a feeling my activities wouldn't be covered under the warrantee. ;)

We are both MTB riders (tandem) and about 20 years older than you. Pat(my wife) needed both knees replaced for quite a while. Both her knees were down to bone on bone. We did a lot of research and consulted quite a few surgeons (we suggest you do both also) and the opinion we liked was put it off as long as it is not denying you the quality of life you desire. We put it off for about 5 years. Its not something that will get better but the technology advances as each year passes. Finally she had them both done about 8 weeks apart. There are less complications possible doing them one at a time. When she was ready to have the second one done we were back on both the road and MTB tandem.
She chose Rothman in Manahawkin and the surgeons name was Fabio Orosco. He does about 300 knees a year. All he does is knees and hips. Pm me and I will give you our home phone if you would care to speak to her about her experience. The surgury was done at Atlantic Care in Pomona.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

The surgury was done at Atlantic Care in Pomona.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

Thank you. I'm going to see what my doctor at NYU Langone says at our follow up. He's very good and well respected with over 1,000 knee replacement under his belt. It was something he mentioned before my scope but mine is not a dire situation. The knee pain was minimal until a piece of my meniscus tore. He's mostly concerned about the arthritis uncovered in the procedure. I certainly would not need two replacements as my "good" knee is strong as a bull and plenty healthy.

Last edited:
Pat also went through the miniscus tear and it was cuaght in the joint giving her lots of pain. It finally tore off /shredded in the joint and that relieved the significant pain she was in but led to the bone on bone situation. She has 30 year knees made with a ceramic joint and a replaceable teflon part so if she should wear out the sacrificial teflon piece it is a (comparitivly speaking) minor surgery to replace it. Good luck in your quest!
Ed and Pat

My mom needed a knee replacement about a decade ago and put it off. She started limping and still put it off. 10 years later, her constant limping has caused ankle, hip and now debilitating back pain. At this point, her body is too warped for a knee replacement to do any good. Just saying, don't put it off too long!!

Back
Top Bottom