Allamuchy or Wawayanda WHICH ONE?

Frac

Allamuchy Mountain State Park or Wawayanda State Park?

Ok - so Which park would you choose to go to this Weekend and Why?
I need to decide in the next few hours which one I'm going to and print out direction before I leave for the weekend. I usually go to Allaire, so I am looking for something thats going to be a change from that.

Thanks in advance for the input.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would go to waway b/c i've never been there and hardtale told me it was like "the land of the lost" in some parts.

Frac

I think I may go to Wawa - just because there is only One parking lot to go to....I have no clue which parking lot to start from at Allamuchy.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
They are both very fun and in great shape.

I'd say that Wawayanda is a little less climbing but still nicely technical. That said, the best trails are not prominent on the maps.

That said Allamuchy is huge features technical st with some of the hardest sustained climbs in NJ.

Its easy to get lost in both (especially Allamuchy) without a map.

My suggestion is to decide it this way: which ever park you can find someone local to ride with, go to with park. you can spend a lot of time on fire roads at both and local knowledge is key.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
not just one...

I think I may go to Wawa - just because there is only One parking lot to go to....I have no clue which parking lot to start from at Allamuchy.

Perhaps 1 main parking lot, but there are at least other 3 places where I have parked ;)

I don't go to either park too often, but If I had to pick one I would pick "The Way".

For some reason I am not crazy about Allamuchy :hmmm: might be due to all the freakin' climbing...and because I really have no clue about the trail system there, I always ride the Mooch with somebody that knows the trails.

Frac

Yeah - I was trying to sucker someone into riding with me this weekend. Made a post on the Rides and Events Forum.
I'll be stuck up in Hackensack all weekend - and driving from up there. Each park is about an hour from where I will be staying.

If anyone is interested in riding with me - I would say I am an advanced beginner rider - with a GREAT attitude ;)
I think as long as I can find a map somewhere I can solo explore a bit. My biggest worry is finding a place to get a beer afterwards :p

Shaggz

A strong 7
Too many choices

Mahlon Dickerson & Kittatiny are a bit more user friendly than Allamuchy (I can't speak about Wayway), both in terms of terrain and not getting lost. The Tourne is very close to hackensack and is another fun place. Lewis Morris would be another good option, too.

I do not know what your schedule is like, but I will make an offer to show you around MD or KVSP with the caveat that this will be my first time in the woods in about 5 weeks, so don't expect a much speed from me. Lemme know if you are interested and I will pm you my number and we'll see if we can coordinate something.

I would also suggest reaching out to Brett (hardtale) who knows both of those parks very well, and is supposed to be a great sherpa.

Frac

Hey Shaggz,

I PM'd you my Cell phone. I really dont care where I go- but I live down in Barnegat - So i figured since i'd be stuck up in Hackensack, i'd try to get to the northern part of the state. (I am meeting up with some freinds in the evenings but have all day to kill)

As far as riding goes - I am still a new rider - But I got lots of heart. I'm hoping to do something in the 3-5 hour range, so the pace will be on the slower side.
I usually do the Tuesday beginner rides at alliare and that pace or just a bit faster is good for me. PS- I am always looking to push myself and up the antie a bit with my riding level.

I'll be offline for a few hours but checking back at somepoint today.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I am thinking MD, and leaning towards Sunday. I am trying to sort out a time that jives with nap and social schedules.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Yeah - I was trying to sucker someone into riding with me this weekend. Made a post on the Rides and Events Forum.
I'll be stuck up in Hackensack all weekend - and driving from up there. Each park is about an hour from where I will be staying.

If anyone is interested in riding with me - I would say I am an advanced beginner rider - with a GREAT attitude ;)
I think as long as I can find a map somewhere I can solo explore a bit. My biggest worry is finding a place to get a beer afterwards :p

Sorry dude, I am actually heading south this weekend :(

Frac

Trip Report

"I got my A@# Kicked".

Didn't manage to meet up with Shaggz. I went out solo on Saturday, and noobed it up by doing a good loop in reverse. Total ride was about 14-17 Miles as far as I can figure and took about 5 hours. I was supposed to meet Shaggz on Sunday, but I had to call him Saturday night and tell him I was Burnt. My body hurt sooo much on Sunday. I was not ready for those friggin hills.

Approximated Loop -
Start - White Trail by railroad bed parking lot (Rout 206).
Meet up with Green Trail - went on Green/White and got lost on unmarked section (wound up in steep swampy area / unmarked fire roads)
Met back up with the White Trail near where it meets the Orange trail.
took orange trail the wrong way - as some kind riders pointed out to me as they went down the really fun section.
Met up with the Purple trail and again went up it (the wrong way apparently)
Purple dumped me off on the White trail which I then rode back to the start.

Shaggz

A strong 7
next time, owen, most importantly, you had a good time. i had a feeling you would have a tough time making sunday after riding the mooch, but it was real cool to hear how excited (yet beat) you sounded when telling me about your adventure

Spylab

Funny enough, I have never been on the "proper" allamuch trail series. I have ridden Deer Park a ridiculous number of times; I guess because the White loop is a nice 10 mile ride and it's tough to get lost back in that section. I've been meaning to get back into the rest of those woods, though.

And it's too tough for me to get to Wawayanda. It's pretty much impossible to pass by Diablo and not pull in the parking lot...

Judge Smails

You can't go wrong with either park. If I lived in South Jersey and was planning to ride up North I'd see if there were any group rides and try to tag along. Even if it's not the place you'd rather ride I think you can learn a lot by joining a group ride rather then trying to follow a map and go it alone - risking hitting trails in the wrong direction or missing others all together.

Allamuchy and Waywayanda are def places that I needed to follow others for the first year i was riding there.

Top Bottom