Advice for first timers?

BigSpoon

Looking to head out here this weekend. Love Allaire, 6MR, Clayton and ride Mercer when pressed for time. What am I looking at, in terms of comparisons?

Thanks! ~ too lazy to read the thread...

similar type ride, just lots of baby head size rocks. you may want a mouth guard for the teeth chatter

Hillier and rockier than those that you listed.

White, red and blue tend to be easier than yellow and orange depending upon current blowdowns etc..

It's a good place to start riding on rocks. There's enough for you to learn the feel of what your bike wants to do over rocks, but not too much that it's going to turn you away. Just keep your momentum up and you'll flow over it.

I got caught on yellow by the river it was beyond my skill level and ruined my first experience with chimney rock, looking to get out there again.

I enjoyed the trails on the chimney rock side and the big descend once I crossed over the road.

any more trail recommendations?

I got caught on yellow by the river it was beyond my skill level and ruined my first experience with chimney rock, looking to get out there again.

Don't let it ruin the experience. That's not an easy climb by any stretch of the imagination. Make a goal to clean it!

I enjoyed the trails on the chimney rock side and the big descend once I crossed over the road.

any more trail recommendations?

Went out today and had the same reaction. It started to rain so I hiked it out.

Never ridden here. My favorite is Stephens/Allamuchy North. I ride 6MR recently since I live in Somerset. I would consider 6MR pretty fast/tame. Is chimney rock more technical? How much milage can be done without riding super easy walking trail stuff?

Yes much more techy than 6 mile. Loose rock, jagged rock and rooty. You could get anywhere between 12 to 18 miles depending on route & doubling up some sections. A fair amount of climbing especially on yellow & orange.

Forgot to mention High Gear does a group ride here on Tuesday nights starting at 5.30., intermediate pace. Meet at the ballfield on Chimney Rock road.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions