6 Mile Run Conditions

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I second what @Patrick was saying, just keep riding. When I first started doing 6 miles at 6 mile it destroyed me. Then I started throwing the white trail in. Then I crossed the road and made it to the concrete bridge; so and so forth.
Oh, I bought a road bike and my fitness went up exponentially. My favorite part about my regular trails is I'll see places that I used to stop at and now I blaze right by, or features I used to walk around but they don't even slow me down anymore. Keep pedaling, you'll get where you want to be.

BuckChoklit

I second what @Patrick was saying, just keep riding. When I first started doing 6 miles at 6 mile it destroyed me. Then I started throwing the white trail in. Then I crossed the road and made it to the concrete bridge; so and so forth.
Oh, I bought a road bike and my fitness went up exponentially. My favorite part about my regular trails is I'll see places that I used to stop at and now I blaze right by, or features I used to walk around but they don't even slow me down anymore. Keep pedaling, you'll get where you want to be.
Thanks guys. Will do. I got rid of my roadie a while back. Being on blood thinners I was scared as hell to get hit by a car and just bleed out🤷🏾‍♂️. I made it to the end of blue but took the road back up to the parking lot lol. No way I was going back that way. Thanks again fellas

ekuhn

Everything above is the truth. I remember the first time I made it to 27 from Canal. I was cooked and knew I had to ride back. Just put in the hours, it'll get better, you'll get faster, and you'll just keep wanting more.

gpTron

Something else that helps after a hard ride is doing yoga. I never do yoga but I knew of a mountain bike Youtube-r that had his yoga instructor gf do a special yoga video specifically targeting parts of the body used the most in biking. I decided to give that a whirl after my first '27 to Canal and back' ride (almost 20 miles) and it was life changing. I think they broke up though because he took that vid down, lolz.

The thing I like about 6 Mile the most is I feel the park is divided into "levels". Like if you play a game like Mario, each level has a different theme. That's what 6 Mile feels like. Helps break up the monotony that some trails have which makes it not feel as long as it is.

Deamon59

Thanks guys. Will do. I got rid of my roadie a while back. Being on blood thinners I was scared as hell to get hit by a car and just bleed out🤷🏾‍♂️. I made it to the end of blue but took the road back up to the parking lot lol. No way I was going back that way. Thanks again fellas
One thing that's helped me this year is peloton. I've never done "spin" before, but i've been riding bikes my whole life. Every year in the past 10 years or so the same pattern emerged. I'd mtn bike in the warmer months and not do any riding in the winter. Every spring i would need to slowly rebuild up my strength and stamina.

This year i was fortunate enough to have a peloton and am using it relatively regularly. When i was able to get back out to the trails in April i felt so much more in shape. I was able to ride longer sections of the trail than i ever rode in all the years i've ridden here. I know it's not an option for everyone but if it is for you, i'd recommend it.

NJ Gator

One thing that's helped me this year is peloton. I've never done "spin" before, but i've been riding bikes my whole life. Every year in the past 10 years or so the same pattern emerged. I'd mtn bike in the warmer months and not do any riding in the winter. Every spring i would need to slowly rebuild up my strength and stamina.

This year i was fortunate enough to have a peloton and am using it relatively regularly. When i was able to get back out to the trails in April i felt so much more in shape. I was able to ride longer sections of the trail than i ever rode in all the years i've ridden here. I know it's not an option for everyone but if it is for you, i'd recommend it.
Agree on this point- I wish I could ride more but kids, work blah blah. I don't do Peloton but I have a old Scwinn Spinner (40lb wheel) I bought used and I have a set of workouts. Keeps my legs fresh for when I do hit the trails. Also good for maintaining certain levels of heart rate. Welcome!

avc8130

Took my 6 and 7 year olds to 6 mile for the first time we've ever been there. We rode 14 miles. Parked at Canal, rode blue to red to the 2nd orange intersection, then red to white to red velvet to red. They really only struggled on the super steep climbs on that last run along the river towards canal. What a great place for kids! So much better than rail trails!

leo_c

Took my 6 and 7 year olds to 6 mile for the first time we've ever been there. We rode 14 miles. Parked at Canal, rode blue to red to the 2nd orange intersection, then red to white to red velvet to red. They really only struggled on the super steep climbs on that last run along the river towards canal. What a great place for kids! So much better than rail trails!
Go kiddos 💪🏼

robcleary

Tbf I too struggle and complain every time I ride red trail extension 😂 sounds like they hung in well, that's a lot of miles for the kiddos!

dvaidya

I am a beginner rider (had done Mercer and 6M couple of times 10+ years ago) so starting all over again. Are there beginner lessons either at 6M or any other trails that I can attend? I do not remember all the do's and don't on a trail and do not want to impact advanced riders enjoyment by not following trail rules :)

dvaidya

@MadisonDan thank you. Will join up Jorba. I remember attending a skills training at Allaire a long time ago.

Edit: This is what I was talking about "Yield to those who are climbing unless they pull over first for a break or to gift the descender no interruption." I thought it was the opposite that folks coming down the trail had right of way. Thanks for the link.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions