27.5 Vs 29 Recommendations/Suggestions for new bike

ekim

I rode a Fuel 27.5 EX 9 at Allaire. I think it was a 15.5" model. I'm pretty sure they told me that the 15.5 was ONLY available in a 27.5" size wheel. Now, looking at the Trek web site, I see that the 15.5" frames come in 29 and 27.5 size.

I also rode a 9.9 29er that I assume was 17.5". It had a sticker on it that said 17. I didn't notice any obvious differences between the two. If I recall correctly it seemed as if the 29er might have even had lower gearing so that it was easier to get up hills when running it first gear.

I also rode a fat bike. I'm ruling them out for the time being. I found the "regular" bikes to be much more enjoyable.

I just discovered my rear triangle cracked (for the 3rd time) so now I'm unexpectedly in the market for a new bike. I pretty sure that a 27.5 or 29er is the way to go, but am now looking for some kind of crash course so that I can at least narrow my search between 27.5 and 29.

My current bike (Iron Horse MK III Comp) is (was) a full suspension, but I may go to hard tail simply because it seems like most of the full suspension bikes are $2,000 or more and a good hard tail can be had for closer to $1,000.

I ride mostly at Allaire and sometimes Hartshorne.

Please share your insights on 27.5 vs 29, manufacturers and models to consider, full suspension vs hard tail etc.

Hartshorne / allaire - hard tail is the way to go IMHO.

How tall are you? The answer may help people opine on the 27.5 v 29er.

As far as models...just go to a few bikes shops and pick the one you like the best. Specialized, trek, giant, etc. etc. they are all gonna have decent bikes. Some stranger on a message board telling you to get "bike x" isn't gonna help you. Go to bike shops, tell them your needs/ budget, pick a bike.

Last edited:
wpuld you consider a used hardtail? 12' Trek superfly
I might, do you have a 15.5" one posted for sale?

Hartshorne / allaire - hard tail is the way to go IMHO.

How tall are you? The answer may help people opine on the 27.5 v 29er.
About 5.9". The 15.5" test bike was way more comfortable vs the 17.5" one.

As far as models...just go to a few bikes shops and pick the one you like the best. Specialized, trek, giant, etc. etc. they are all gonna have decent bikes. Some stranger on a message board telling you to get "bike x" isn't gonna help you. Go to bike shops, tell them your needs/ budget, pick a bike.

I assume that some bikes might be a better value vs others at a give price point.

I should have asked for bike shop suggestions too. I'm near GSP exit 114. A shop that allows a real test ride for a serious customer would be a plus.

I'm not really looking for a "get bike x" suggestion, but I was hoping to end up with a good list of candidates to work from or even bikes to avoid. This would at least give me a starting point.

Not that it applies to everyone but 17.5-18 is your size as determined by the mountain bike gods. Maybe its not apparent right away but try pedalling on the bike for 3hrs on something that supposedly doesnt fit you.

If u are going hardtail most will say to go with 29.

Not that it applies to everyone but 17.5-18 is your size as determined by the mountain bike gods. Maybe its not apparent right away but try pedalling on the bike for 3hrs on something that supposedly doesnt fit you.

If u are going hardtail most will say to go with 29.

I rode the 17.5 29er at Allaire for about an hour. Then a fat bike for 20-30 min and then 15.5 27 1/2" for about an hour. The 15.5 seemed to be the most comfortable.

I might, do you have a 15.5" one posted for sale?

About 5.9". The 15.5" test bike was way more comfortable vs the 17.

I'm 5'9 and it's a 17.5, I ride allaire, hartshorne, 6 mile, it's been to lewis Morris, wawayonda,mooch,and numerous other nj trails . Yes my bike is here for sale somewhere.

I may advise you to just take my bike and ride it to see how it feels in decents at hartshorne. For me, too small may make me feel more under the bike then anything

Last edited:
As sounds said - Technically 15.5" is too small for you.

I am also exit 114 - local shops to check out are trek of Middletown and peddler in long branch (both have biggest inventories locally). Krankys in highlands red bicycle (red bank) and Atlantic cycle (Atlantic highlands) are local as is bike haven in fair haven but they will have far fewer to chose from. There are also shops in Marlboro and matawan I believe but I dont know those shops - might be worth looking into tho.

There also Flaubert cyclery in Atlantic highlands. Their inventory is really small consisting of a single bike that may fit you.

Last edited:
As sounds said - Technically 15.5" is too small for you.

I am also exit 114 - local shops to check out are trek of Middletown and peddler in long branch (both have biggest inventories locally). Krankys in highlands red bicycle (red bank) and Atlantic cycle (Atlantic highlands) are local as is bike haven in fair haven but they will have far fewer to chose from. There are also shops in Marlboro and matawan I believe but I dont know those shops - might be worth looking into tho.

There also Flaubert cyclery in Atlantic highlands. Their inventory is really small consisting of a single bike that may fit you.
Thanks for the business homie! It's tough these days!

I ride mostly at Allaire and sometimes Hartshorne.

Please share your insights on 27.5 vs 29, manufacturers and models to consider, full suspension vs hard tail etc.

Go hard tail 29er if those are the parks you are riding. Manufacturers and models fit everyone differently, test ride bikes to find the one you are most comfortable on.

I went and looked at some trek hard tails. 17.5 is too big, my legs are too short. So 15.5 it is.That means 27.5 if it's a Trek.

It looks like the Trek options are a Superfly 6 and Trek X-Caliber 9 The Superfly is $400 more than the X-Caliber, but it seems like it still may be a good value.

You'll regret going with the smaller bike. Get the 17.5 and put a 50mm stem on it for now. And move the seat forward. You'll eventually swap back to the a 90mm stem and push the seat back once your posture corrects from putting miles on a mountain bike.
And yes, hard tail 29er for down there.
I suggest the Salsa El Mariachi. It's got kick ass geometry for fun and speed and its steel for added comfort.
And it comes 17" not 17.5

I'm 5'6 with a 28" inseam. I bought two bikes in Small. They are too small for me. I am building up a medium. I demo'd a medium and it felt perfect. After riding bikes that were too small, i can tell when the bike is the correct size or not.

Based on your height, a small is too small

Seatpost can be adjusted.

Top tubes is where sizing matters.

Stem is your best adjustment.

At 5'9" you have medium or 17-18 writing all over you.

Reputable shop will properly fit you.

Maybe he's inseam is like 28".
Close, more like 29"

Top tubes is where sizing matters.

If I was wearing a cup, every time I dismount on the 17.5" frame there would be a clunk. The guy at the bike shop "strongly suggested" sticking to a 15.5" frame size due to the limited distance between the top tube and "the boys". I could probably do a 17.5" frame if the top tube was lower, like the old Cannondale Flying V or even those bikes that have a top tube that slopes down sharply and then has a small triangle at the seat post.

According to the Trek web site:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain/cross-country/superfly/superfly-9-6/p/2076600-2016

The 15.5" frame has a stand over height of
Frame Size Standover
15.5 ...................721 (28.4")
17.5 ...................767 (30.2")

It looks like the full suspension bikes have standover that doesn't change much depending on frame size. For example:
Fuel Ex 9 27.5
Frame Size ...... Standover:
15.5........................74 (29.1")
17.5........................73 (28.8")
18.5........................73 (28.8")
19.5........................74 (29.1")
21.5........................74.2 (29.2")

Fuel Ex 9 29

Frame Size ...... Standover:
15.5........................78 (30.7")
17.5........................76.6 (30.2")
18.5........................78(30.7")
19.5........................77.3 (30.4")
21.5........................78.3 (30.8")

Superfly 6:
15.5........................72.1(28.4")
17.5........................76.5 (30.1")
18.5........................77.6(30.6")
19.5........................79.5 (31.3")
21.5........................82.3 (32.4")

So it seems that sizing for Full Suspension and Hard Tail are somewhat different. For the Full suspension you get a similar standover height for different frame sizes where for the hard tail you do not.

Last edited:
My bike is a 12' so it's slightly different. Come ride it and check it out before. Atleast do that.

small frame bikes can be made to individually fit with stem, seat and riding position etc..
do remember that some small frames will have a higher standover point to keep head angle tube, and traditionally has been easier to sell a medium bike down the road
my fatbike is a small frame and my HT 27.5 is medium frame with a shorter stem
when i change the crank arms to 170 on the 27.5 that would be sweet

would really suggest to ride as many bikes as you can at all the local shops and pick one out that you really like

Back
Top Bottom