26" vs. 29" hard numbers?

i'm far from a math wiz too... but i think the coefficient of friction will be the main factor in the amount work to move said poo and feathers... if one 10 lb object in a bag is sitting on 60 grit sandpaper, and the other 10 lb object is in the same bag on a surface covered in silicone, it should require less work to move the one on the silicone.

i have no idea if that applies to wheels tho.

everything changes when you're going through the trails at the speed of light!

not that i was anti 29er.. i just though it would be a fad..
then i tried one, then i bought one and it is my most used bike now. For me it makes sense i am a bigger guy 6'2" it actualy feels more controllable to me.. i feel a sif i am sitting in the bike not way up on top like a 26'er
I suggest borrowing somebodys for a week.. they are not for everyone.

One drawback.. and its not the accelaration part, is it takes a bit to get used to tight switchbacks.. but it only takes a few and you will be fine at them

Suppose your experiment reveals the 26er is slightly faster... You may have to send your 29er frame back to the mountains to have it smelted into a 26er...

Seriously, I have been riding 29er for about a year now, and personally (recognizing it IS a personal preference), I feel that on a 29er:
1. I endo MUCH less frequently
2. I climb better
3. I feel more comfortable
4. I roll over stuff so much easier
5. I'm can run a fully rigid setup and STILL be comfortable

I still own (and love) 26ers (primarily for commuting), but I can declare with a great degree of certainty that I will never go back to 26er for trail... I'm sold on 29ers.

So no disrespect to your proposed experiment, the numbers may speak to which is faster (IF there's any real difference), but the above 5 reasons I've given speak volumes for why I personally ride 29ers...

(BTW post pics when your ride arrives from the Colorado Smelter...)

Peace,
BB

Suppose your experiment reveals the 26er is slightly faster... You may have to send your 29er frame back to the mountains to have it smelted into a 26er...

Seriously, I have been riding 29er for about a year now, and personally (recognizing it IS a personal preference), I feel that on a 29er:
1. I endo MUCH less frequently
2. I climb better
3. I feel more comfortable
4. I roll over stuff so much easier
5. I'm can run a fully rigid setup and STILL be comfortable

I still own (and love) 26ers (primarily for commuting), but I can declare with a great degree of certainty that I will never go back to 26er for trail... I'm sold on 29ers.

So no disrespect to your proposed experiment, the numbers may speak to which is faster (IF there's any real difference), but the above 5 reasons I've given speak volumes for why I personally ride 29ers...

(BTW post pics when your ride arrives from the Colorado Smelter...)

Peace,
BB

Yeah it'll be a real shame to melt that puppy down for the sake of a few tenths, but hey. I decided quite some time ago that the big-wheeled platform suits me better. I am just curious about the reality behind the perception, and with this being a web based FORUM and all… I just thought we could share some personal observations. Particularly those of us that have been bitten by the GPS / data bug. I am willing to give up some speed for the perceived savings in effort that a 29er provides me. If ultimate speed was my goal I’d be riding a geared bike with springy bits, rather than the single geared non-springy bike I ride. There will be pictures for sure when it arrives, though that might not be until Summer!

If you are sold on 29ers, then why are you riding little wheels on the road??

I hated the 29 for about a month. It "seemed" slower, but i found that the abscence of trail feedback and not having to push so hard to get the same result was just creating the illusion of slowness. I crush all my old times and distances. 26rs are dodo birds...........

i know we are talking about x/c oriented bikes, but what about drops/jumps on your 29er? i ride one and dig it - but there are two things i'm not so psyched about doing on it - and that's drops and jumps. i'm not talking jbogner style hucking, i'm talking just that 2 footer that sneaks up on you, but is not too terrible to try. that's the stuff i really dont enjoy on my 29er, jumps and drops.

i dig riding the 29er at six mile - it just rolls. i really dig it at the sourlands, it rolls over lots, but the one thing i dont like is that flexy feeling front end. i have recently noticed my front end can do some wiggling, and i mean wheel pointed straight, and the wiggle is front to back - and yes my headset is solid and the fork is on correctly.

does anyone else notice that?

i've experience no problems at all with drops and the 29er. there's a "launching pad" at kittatinny that's about 3' that i regularly jump with no issues.

in other news, i'm working on a way to hopefully put some metrics to this debate right here on this very site. if anything breaks, you'll (all) be the first to know.

for the record, i haven't been in the woods on a 26" bike since i bought my mary two years ago. the year i bought the mary, i rode the 26" fuel three, maybe four times. it just wasn't as much fun. so, that bike went to a good home. but, for the sake of science i'll ride those kid sized wheels one more time.

hi brett!

My Steel 29er is very Tabletop friendly, no problem with jumps or drops.

After a season of riding the 29er, my 26 is set up with slicks and only rides the pavement when the trails are wet.

new to both 29er and ss my poor nomad looks so very sad but I am really enjoying this kool aid and finding that i'm getting stronger and clearing some techy things that were a little tough on my heckler. Bigger wheels are fun!

My Steel 29er is very Tabletop friendly, no problem with jumps or drops.

just outta curiousity - do you/have you ever jump(ed) with a DJ bike too? i think that's what spoils me... a 9er compared to a 26" DJ bike when jumping is like a try to surf using a dining table. apples to oranges i know, but i guess that's how i notice the feeling... my DJ ride spoiled me one way. DJ sucks on the trail, but the 9er kinda sucks in the air.

it's not that i want a 9er that i will take to the DJ's (in fact, that's a little crazy in my mind) - its just that my 9er doesn't come close on jumps/drops/stunts when it comes to 26" bikes. fwiw i think 9ers have their place, are here to stay, and are fun to ride (hell i own one), but i don't think they're just amazingly great for everything.

my dj bike is still in the works, and i've never ridden one before so i can't judge from that angle. I do jump on my bmx and have hit some smaller doubles on my 2 niner (eco preserve), tho... the niner is just too big in the air for any kind of jump bigger than a trailside kicker (drops are fine tho imho). if i were buying a "do it all" bike like you mentioned you were i would stick with 26" wheels.

just outta curiousity - do you/have you ever jump(ed) with a DJ bike too? i think that's what spoils me... a 9er compared to a 26" DJ bike when jumping is like a try to surf using a dining table. apples to oranges i know, but i guess that's how i notice the feeling... my DJ ride spoiled me one way. DJ sucks on the trail, but the 9er kinda sucks in the air.

it's not that i want a 9er that i will take to the DJ's (in fact, that's a little crazy in my mind) - its just that my 9er doesn't come close on jumps/drops/stunts when it comes to 26" bikes. fwiw i think 9ers have their place, are here to stay, and are fun to ride (hell i own one), but i don't think they're just amazingly great for everything.

No, 26" DJ's in my background, just old school BMX and Hard Tails.

am i correct in thinking that the 69'er was designed to get the best of both worlds? faster acceleration of the rear wheel and clearance/roll over ability of the large front wheel.

am i correct in thinking that the 69'er was designed to get the best of both worlds? faster acceleration of the rear wheel and clearance/roll over ability of the large front wheel.

Yes. Kent Eriksen is building some nice 69 bikes and I think Trek has a production model available.

FWIW.

With respect to racing, I buy into the momentum philosophy. On the courses that have shorter climbs and more turns I will opt for the 26 to get the accel benefits - Blue Mt, JH types, Tymor. The courses that are rockier, rootier with persistent climbs and have a typically higher avg speed I am going 29 - Ringwood, LM, Waway, Stewart.

In general, I find the 29er overall more comfortable but will always love the full suspension on some rides. As far as numbers, I think Jake has it right; you need at large sample to even out mental and physical aspects. Do the rides without monitoring your progress throughout. I can't count how many times an easy ride goes awry because I start Garmin surfing.

Back
Top Bottom