2023 Racing Calendar

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Jordan Williams joins bruni and finn at spesh. You asked who the best team will be and now we know.

Screenshot_20230117-183138_Chrome.jpg

Ian F

Streaming info announced, although US-specific details seem a bit vague. Apparently, if you are a GCN+ subscriber, you can watch. Personally, my complaint about that is it's basically a phone app and I haven't figured out how to link an Android phone to my TV via an HDMI cable. I guess some more digging will be required... At least I have until June to figure it out.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Streaming info announced, although US-specific details seem a bit vague. Apparently, if you are a GCN+ subscriber, you can watch. Personally, my complaint about that is it's basically a phone app and I haven't figured out how to link an Android phone to my TV via an HDMI cable. I guess some more digging will be required... At least I have until June to figure it out.

just get a chromecast, they are fairly cheap and dont tether your phone to the tv

Ian F

just get a chromecast, they are fairly cheap and dont tether your phone to the tv
I'm a little confused by your comment. I've heard of Chromecast, but haven't really paid attention to it. But from what I see, it essentially tethers your phone to your TV. So what exactly do you mean? :shrug: But it seems cheap enough. I'll pick one up at the local Best Buy.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm a little confused by your comment. I've heard of Chromecast, but haven't really paid attention to it. But from what I see, it essentially tethers your phone to your TV. So what exactly do you mean? :shrug: But it seems cheap enough. I'll pick one up at the local Best Buy.

Chromecast is a no-cable solution with multiple options.
Phone & chromecast need to be on the same wifi network to do this.

Start on phone:
Once casted - something like netflix no longer runs through the phone - it goes directly to the chrome-cast -> TV

This is different than screen mirroring - which does connect the phone -> chromecast -> TV.

Start on Chromecast with phone as remote:
There are also native apps that can run on the chromecast - ie netflix. It is just an android computer so.....

----

Firestick also has casting, and probably more apps. It also has airplay (with an additional app) so the iphone crowd can play along when the app doesn't support casting.
A chromebook is also a good choice, as it can cast from an app, or screen, or browser window(tab?)
It also has mirroring vs casting

--

Apps that can cast their content usually have this symbol as a button to control it

Last edited:

Ian F

Chromecast is a no-cable solution with multiple options.
Phone & chromecast need to be on the same wifi network to do this.

Start on phone:
Once casted - something like netflix no longer runs through the phone - it goes directly to the chrome-cast -> TV

This is different than screen mirroring - which does connect the phone -> chromecast -> TV.

Start on Chromecast with phone as remote:
There are also native apps that can run on the chromecast - ie netflix. It is just an android computer so.....

----

Firestick also has casting, and probably more apps. It also has airplay (with an additional app) so the iphone crowd can play along when the app doesn't support casting.
A chromebook is also a good choice, as it can cast from an app, or screen, or browser window(tab?)
It also has mirroring vs casting

--

Apps that can cast their content usually have this symbol as a button to control it

Ok... I'm a bit of a stubborn luddite when it comes to this stuff. I use my TV almost exclusively as a second screen from my laptop with an HDMI cable when streaming Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, etc. My TV is "smart" and has most of those apps already built-in, but the interface is so clunky I prefer to use my laptop. Likewise, I would only use something like Chromecast for videos I can only stream on my phone (GCN+, mainly). I have zero desire to use it for anything else.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so chromecast has 2 variants, one is just a streaming reciever (you use your phone and it simply shows the video on the tv) and the other includes google tv, which will run 90% of android apps including youtube, netflix ect and let you stream it directly on the tv with its own remote. Not sure how firestick (which is amazons locked down version of androd) would have more apps. . . .

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Ok... I'm a bit of a stubborn luddite when it comes to this stuff. I use my TV almost exclusively as a second screen from my laptop with an HDMI cable when streaming Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, etc. My TV is "smart" and has most of those apps already built-in, but the interface is so clunky I prefer to use my laptop. Likewise, I would only use something like Chromecast for videos I can only stream on my phone (GCN+, mainly). I have zero desire to use it for anything else.

You may be able to cast directly to the tv if it is on your network.

What type.of laptop?
If you run a chrome browser, casting can built.in.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
We use roku for watching TV and there's no GCN app for roku like there is on firestick and other devices. But our TV is a Samsung and has the Samsung streaming option as well and thankfully I found the GCN app in that app store.

serviceguy

And I guess UCI DH is no longer the event I was looking forward to watch on the weekends...I may have to make the switch to cornhole...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
BTW i dont know if you guys saw Jordan Williams (who is possibly just as good as the golden child Jackson Goldstone, still had a year on his contract with Saracen, but left them for spesh. Not sure if spesh buys him out or if he just left his contract, but that's kind of shitty.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
And I guess UCI DH is no longer the event I was looking forward to watch on the weekends...I may have to make the switch to cornhole...
I've been watching world cups for 10-15 years. All those freecaster years on my laptop. I'm fine with some change. I love it and obviously warner will be missed, but who knows. Maybe they'll have someone new and awesome. Maybe the GCN production will be solid (I'm skeptical but who knows.) Change is good.

serviceguy

I've been watching world cups for 10-15 years. All those freecaster years on my laptop. I'm fine with some change. I love it and obviously warner will be missed, but who knows. Maybe they'll have someone new and awesome. Maybe the GCN production will be solid (I'm skeptical but who knows.) Change is good.
I'm just tired of adding levels of complication to my life. I refused to hook up my TV to the internet. Sure enough I don't need to hook up mu phone to the TV and buy another gadget to do so. Honestly, I don't think I enjoyed the last few races as much as I did a couple of years ago. I couldn't even watch a full Rampage. And I was never into XC. I'd rather ride, if only I had time...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
On the road side the GCN stuff is pretty good. Now obviously the commentators can make it or break it, but production quality is good.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm just tired of adding levels of complication to my life. I refused to hook up my TV to the internet. Sure enough I don't need to hook up mu phone to the TV and buy another gadget to do so. Honestly, I don't think I enjoyed the last few races as much as I did a couple of years ago. I couldn't even watch a full Rampage. And I was never into XC. I'd rather ride, if only I had time...
It's funny but I never watch rampage. It just doesn't do it for me along with crankworx slopestyle events like downhill racing does.

I liked the racing this past year. XC - ehh. It is what it is. Very boring in some ways. I normally watch the replay dlni can fast forward through it and ayop when I see someone new in the lead. But DH racing I love. Hits the sweet spot for me. We're going to snoewhoe again this summer and you should come along!

Ian F

I just like watching bicycle racing... doesn't really matter what it is. I watched the GCN+ broadcast this morning of women and men's cyclocross racing. I'll watch the road racing on GCN+ when I'm at home. Easy to have it on my phone next to me while I'm working. Not so easy when I'm in a construction trailer in NH. I really enjoyed the RedBull coverage of the XC races. Sometimes they were more fun to watch than the DH race. Some of the cross races this season have been awesome to watch.

I don't have my TV connected to... anything... it's really just a big monitor right now. Occasionally I'll watch DVD's on it.

Top Bottom