2023 Racing Calendar

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Ratboy is racing hardline!
Screenshot_20230518-171600_Instagram.jpg

serviceguy

Surprised myself looking forward to the first DH World Cup event of the season. Still routing for the racer closer to me in age...

Ian F

Yep. I've been gorging myself on videos over the last few days. Fox Dialed and WynTV are back!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I thought qualies were now televised? I don't see it on GCN though I do see semis now which I guess is just a couple hours before finals? Weird.
1000001607.jpg

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Luke meijer-smith of giant also crashed and hurt himself. Collarbone, out til end half off season. He was looking strong btw -- definite podium possibility along with gwin.

ebarker9

Nooooooo! I was really hoping he woild have a great season this year. Watching junior finale right now and missing Rob Warner big time.

I think that Rick is ok, and can get better if he just talks a bit less. Cedric though...the guy is definitely one of the personalities of the sport, or at least used to be, but I found him to be pretty intolerable. I couldn't follow a good amount of what they're saying and I watch like every bit of media associated with the sport. If the idea is to grow things, I don't think that these guys are helping. Bring back Eliot Jackson.

serviceguy

well, junior men’s was good…where do I see qualies/semifinals for elite? cam’t fondvthem on uci youtube channel…Nevermind, I found it on GCN+, duh!

Last edited:

serviceguy

I think that Rick is ok, and can get better if he just talks a bit less. Cedric though...the guy is definitely one of the personalities of the sport, or at least used to be, but I found him to be pretty intolerable. I couldn't follow a good amount of what they're saying and I watch like every bit of media associated with the sport. If the idea is to grow things, I don't think that these guys are helping. Bring back Eliot Jackson.
well, being married to a brits sometimes helps, lol

Yep, Elliot would have been leaps and bounds better than Garcia o Gracia whatever…all I need to know is he’s french and he’s not Bruni nor Amaurie…booooo!

Ian F

Semi-final races were live on YouTube - starting at 4:30 AM EDT. I set my alarm... it still hurts...

The Finals races are on GCN+, with the live pre-show before the women starting at 6:45 AM (now, as I type this). On the GCN+ app, they rolled the men's semi- right after the women with no break or need to change anything, which was nice. (the Wi-Fi in the hotel I'm in is sketchy, so I'm just streaming on my phone)

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Watching the women's and men's lenzer DH finals now. Gracia may be a legend of the sport and I honestly love the dude but they need him gone asap. He's like an even more annoying Claudio if that's even possible. Get Elliot or even me I swear I would be better.

The worst part of losing rob isn't even the races themselves but the show opening and between race banter. It's painful now whereas in the past it was fun and informative.

Oh well at least we're watching downhill world cups again.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've been calling it for a year now. Goldstone is phenomenal obviously but Williams has had both insane talent and consistency since he was a teen.
1000001620.png

Ian F

For the most part I didn't have a problem with the broadcast. Cedric has always been a bit over the top and excitable.

What really annoyed me was how they were mindlessly flapping their mouths during the podium presentation.

On a positive note, between the Juniors, Semi-finals, and Finals, we get a butt-load of live racing to watch. Unfortunately, I was working and couldn't watch the Juniors.

Since we aren't 100% sure if/how folks can watch replays, I think we should avoid spoilers for a day or two. Both finals races were amazing for sure.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I will say XC is probably no worse than in the red bull days. The new guy and bart are a decent team and you don't end up missing rob quite as much.

An interesting note is the road teams are continuing to expand into XC. Ineos, alpecin and now even jumbo visma are sponsoring world cup XC riders. I wonder with their bigger money if they'll get all the top European riders at some point.

Back to DH for a second, what the hell is with not filming the podium ceremonies? I thought maybe they didn't have the rights but then they'd show the replay (and they show the XC podiums). Is it just terrible producing? The downhill broadcast needs so much work.

Ian F

My WAG is the podium miss for DH was a scheduling miscommunication. In previous years, the podium didn't happen so quickly after the finish of the event. Realizing their mistake, they got the XCO podium. I suspect it won't happen next week.

serviceguy

I've been calling it for a year now. Goldstone is phenomenal obviously but Williams has had both insane talent and consistency since he was a teen. View attachment 215436
Definitely looks like a much faster return of investment (in terms of results) for Specialized as compared to say Finn Iles...speaking of which, anybody thinks he looked a little bit sour about the new guy taking a win in the very first race of his Elite career? I have to say I like this guy a lot, super humble after his win too.

Last edited:

Ian F

Definitely looks like a much faster return of investment (in terms of results) for Specialized as compared to say Finn Iles...speaking of which, anybody thinks he looked a little bit sour about the new guy taking a win in the very first race of his Elite carrier? I have to say I like this guy a lot, super humble after his win too.
Oh I'm sure Finn has to be thinking, "Shit... I just became the #3 rider on the team..." Has he been riding for Specialized since... forever? Before he was even a Junior and just a Whistler phenom?

I'm sure the Williams vs. Goldstone debate will go on for ages... While Williams is definitely a humble and nice guy, Goldstone has just so much experience being in the spotlight, he adds another level of ROI that is hard to match.

Top Bottom