2021 Giant Crest fork

Sheep Dip

Hey Everyone, just wanted to spit this out there for the info. I picked up a 2021 Giant Fathom with the “new” Crest 34 fork. Got out for one ride and noticed a knocking sound coming from the front end. Checked the thru axle, caliper mounting, stem etc. all was good. I narrowed it down to the fork during actuation, no matter what the setting. Brought it back to the bike shop where I bought it. They contacted Giant and they are going to warranty it. Giant will send a new set of forks to the the shop for replacement, as soon as they’re off backorder that is! Just an FYI for you fellow offroadies!

“Who can it be knockin’ in my fork?” So the knocking is back on my “new” warrantied forks! Noticed it right around Thanksgiving weekend. I contacted the bike shop and gave him the lowdown. He is going to submit another warranty request. Haven’t heard anything as of yet, but I figured I would follow up with this new info.

I have the same fork with the same issue. Let you how I make out. Bummer tho, it performs pretty well.
There‘s either a fair number of these with the problem or a very vocal minority according to the internet.

Giant is making their own forks now? Why don't they just stick to their core competencies and leave the major components to the pros. What little money they saved per fork is negated by the warranty replacements I'm sure plus all the logistics involved for them and the downtime for the customers. Yeah I get it, they make millions of bikes a year and if they can save 50 cents or a dollar on a bike then that translates to millions of dollars in profits each year but you also have to put a value on people's time, by that I mean the time customers has to waste taking it to their bike shop, the time the shop has to deal with the problem, and the downtime of the bike to the customer. They also have to consider their brand reputation.

A shop tech glanced at mine and said it looked like a rebadged Suntour, but who knows. As mentioned, it works pretty well. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a debacle.

Last edited:
A shop tech glanced and mine and said it looked like a rebadged Suntour, but who knows. As mentioned, it works pretty well. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a debacle.
Hmm... Suntour has that funky quick connect/disconnect axle. I rode an Aion for a while and it was great, no clicking or knocking at all.

Alright…alright…alright. The bike shop just contacted me today. They just got a brand new set of warranty forks for me from Giant I got to bring the bike down so they can swap it out. Hoping 2nd time is the charm! Extremedave how did you make out?

Giant is making their own forks now? Why don't they just stick to their core competencies and leave the major components to the pros. What little money they saved per fork is negated by the warranty replacements I'm sure plus all the logistics involved for them and the downtime for the customers. Yeah I get it, they make millions of bikes a year and if they can save 50 cents or a dollar on a bike then that translates to millions of dollars in profits each year but you also have to put a value on people's time, by that I mean the time customers has to waste taking it to their bike shop, the time the shop has to deal with the problem, and the downtime of the bike to the customer. They also have to consider their brand reputation.
You bring up some excellent points. I’ve been lucky enough to deal with this problem both times during ski season, so I’m not pedaling much!

Still waiting on word from Giant. I bought the bike used; a local shop is making a case for me but apparently Giant is kinda stiff about secondhand stuff. We shall see, glad yours is resolved!

OMG do not google Crest 34 fork...stupid internets. I do really wish there was a great fork between the RockShox Judy SL $200 and the next step at 500+

Fox Performance 34
Nice. I’ve heard the Marzocchi Bomber 2 are pretty hot. Now Fox owns them, so all the internals are Fox Float with 34mm. I have no experience with either one, but If mine don’t work out I may have to go the same route as you. Thanks for the fork suggestion. Later.

Well….well…well. Third time is NOT the charm! Just got out for the first time with the thrice warrantied Crest forks and the click….click..click… knock…knock….knockity…click is back! Plus I noticed today that the lockout isn’t working at all. Yahoo! Poor Paul at Pop’s is going to be so happy to hear from me. Just in time for the season to start. Is there a lemon law for forks? Hee hee.

Last edited:
Fox Performance 34
Hey, gotta quick question about the 34’s you picked up. They were for 27.5 plus / 29er, so are they wider than the stock fork or is anything different from a non-plus fork? I hope I’m not being a ding dong, but now I might have to consider what’s behind door 3.

Hey, gotta quick question about the 34’s you picked up. They were for 27.5 plus / 29er, so are they wider than the stock fork or is anything different from a non-plus fork? I hope I’m not being a ding dong, but now I might have to consider what’s behind door 3.
Nope, same width. If you look on the stock Crest fork, you'll actually see a sticker that says 29" lol. The Fathom in stock form can run 29ers if you want

Back
Top Bottom