2017 garden thread

Zaskar

Up to 60 degrees today and then 6-8 of snow tomorrow.....

What are you planning to plant? I'd like to start from seeds this year so, where do you buy and how soon do we need to start? What resources (websites, books) do you use?

Last year was my first and had a pretty successful output of string beans, peppers, potatoes and zucchini/squash. I did over plant the peps and zucch/sqush for the size so I'll dial those back a bit this year. Plan is to make the plot a bit bigger and install a better fencing.

IMG_9252.JPG
IMG_9609.JPG

Reactions: rlb
Been meaning to start this, usually planting my broccoli is what reminds me. I should have started the seeds last weekend, I'll get to it this weekend.

I've used this as my primary reference + web research and talking to a co-worker who has done a lot of gardening. That plus trail an error + deciding what I want to try again

https://www.amazon.com/All-Square-Foot-Gardening-Revolutionary/dp/1591865484

This year it's going to be much iof the same. Broccoli, rabe, Kale, chard, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, winter squash. Plus herbs. I try to start as much from seed as I can, notable exceptions being tomatoes and peppers due to the "lateness" of putting them into the ground.

start your seeds ASAP for peppers and tomatoes, also spring crops can be seeded now
I'm keeping things simple this year, buying all plants which need a germination period starting now
Missed not having butternut squash last year so, definitely putting some down this year

getPart

getPart

We have never finished 2016 season. It is an experiment to see what can be done in a cheap hot house.

All tomatoes on ground level are dead. Hanging plants are doing fine with tomatoes only on the sunny side.

Looking forward to some fresh veggies this summer also.
can't see your pics, was your hot house inside?
I toyed around with having one in our master bathroom, but it's still not hot enough in there, despite a lot of light

Try one more time- last post pictures did not come up.

We have never finished 2016 season. It is an experiment to see what can be done in a cheap hot house.

All tomatoes on ground level are dead. Hanging plants are doing fine with tomatoes only on the sunny side.

getPart.jpg getPart (2).jpg

I went ahead and ordered seeds from paseseeds.com that @rlb had posted in last years thread.

Green beans
Broccoli
Broccoli Raab
Red Romaine
Peppers

Do compost your kitchen scraps (coffee, egg shells, veggie/fruit)? I do but haven't used it yet it for the garden... anything I should be aware of?

I went ahead and ordered seeds from paseseeds.com that @rlb had posted in last years thread.

Green beans
Broccoli
Broccoli Raab
Red Romaine
Peppers

Do compost your kitchen scraps (coffee, egg shells, veggie/fruit)? I do but haven't used it yet it for the garden... anything I should be aware of?

I hope that was the good site, I ordered from 2 places and one of them was terrible (took forever to ship). As it turns out the one organic seed brand that I liked is also sold at Belle Meade Co-Op, so I might take a swing down there some time in the coming weeks for green bean seeds. I'm going to try bush beans this year, since my pole beans went out of control the last 2 years.

I've wanted to compost but I just haven't put together a place and a bin. That's on my to-do list for this spring, as I would like to know exactly what's in the amendments I'm putting in my soil.

Since I moved last summer, I did not gardening at all in 2016. I have to make new beds this year and figure out where to put them. So this year will be easy because the soil has not been used. Not looking for anything adventurous, just the standard tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplant and herbs.

Since I moved last summer, I did not gardening at all in 2016. I have to make new beds this year and figure out where to put them. So this year will be easy because the soil has not been used. Not looking for anything adventurous, just the standard tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplant and herbs.
any secrets to eggplants, not much luck last three years. I planted them with peppers and they always look stunted. I grow both the long Asian variety and the regular type you use in eggplant parms

Try one more time- last post pictures did not come up.

View attachment 47398 View attachment 47399
I considered getting one of those greenhouses and park it against the house. Unfortunately, I don't think it gets enough direct sunlight, maybe 4-5 hrs, to make is successful. In the hot house, do you pollinate with q-tips to get them going? how much propane did you go through this winter so far

any secrets to eggplants, not much luck last three years. I planted them with peppers and they always look stunted. I grow both the long Asian variety and the regular type you use in eggplant parms
The soil at my old house was dense clay with shale. I never had an issue with either variety, so I can't be of much help.

I considered getting one of those greenhouses and park it against the house. Unfortunately, I don't think it gets enough direct sunlight, maybe 4-5 hrs, to make is successful. In the hot house, do you pollinate with q-tips to get them going? how much propane did you go through this winter so far

Yes, pollinate with Q tips or a make up brush.

Like I said it is an experiment this year. The plan was to have late season tomatoes for Thanksgiving Table. Mrs. Oleg started them too late in the season, so no Thanksgiving.

Next plan was to have Christmas BLT, again no tomatoes.

These are Hot House seeds and in cool weather tomatoes (any plant) grow slow.

As far as propane usage it is a very expensive experiment that will not be repeated next winter. A 100 pound tank will last about 3 weeks. It all depends how many sunny days we have.

We do have a wireless thermometer that has a low temperature alarm that goes off when the tank runs out, usually at 4:00AM.

These are probably the most expensive tomatoes on this coast or in the whole country.

Last edited:
I've got my plot secured at the community garden. I've had a variety of tomatoes and zucchini the past two years. I'd like to try brussel sprouts this year. Hard to start anything early in the condo with nibbling kitties

Yes, pollinate with Q tips or a make up brush.

Like I said it is an experiment this year. The plan was to have late season tomatoes for Thanksgiving Table. Mrs. Oleg started them too late in the season, so no Thanksgiving.

Next plan was to have Christmas BLT, again no tomatoes.

These are Hot House seeds and in cool weather tomatoes (any plant) grow slow.

As far as propane usage it is a very expensive experiment that will not be repeated next winter. A 100 pound tank will last about 3 weeks. It all depends how many sunny days we have.

We do have a wireless thermometer that has a low temperature alarm that goes off when the tank runs out, usually at 4:00AM.

These are probably the most expensive tomatoes on this coast or in the whole country.

direct burn fossil fuel creates CO - not the best for plants.
I have direct heat propane back-up for my greenhouse - have only used it a couple times.

primary heat is a 5kW electric heater. direct wired 30A 240V circuit - makes the meter spin!

Back
Top Bottom