2017-2018 XC SKI SEASON

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the Tourne begginer friendly. The pitch at the giants stadium parking lot is just about perfect for me.
Maybe you should go to Giants stadium parking lot? I'm not that familiar with the Tourne, but given it's popularity with xc skiers, I'd imagine it's somewhat beginner friendly.

ebarker9

Anyone interested in starting a 2019 - 2020 XC ski thread?

Got in a few miles yesterday. Unfortunately my boots are fitting just slightly too loosely so probably looking for a replacement using the NNN BC bindings. I know that REI sells some xc stuff, but any other place locally with possibly a larger xc/Nordic selection?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know that REI sells some xc stuff, but any other place locally with possibly a larger xc/Nordic selection?
There is not much locally that stocks much xc ski equipment. I'd see what REI has, I'm pretty sure if you order from them you can pick up and try on before you bring home. There is also Rock and Snow in New Paltz which is not that far. I'd call ahead to see what they stock in BC NNN boots.

onetracker

Went out to Minnawska today to XC Ski today. Conditions are really good. Lots of coverage, groomed tracks, but the snow was a bit sticky/slow. Blue bird sky. Good times!!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Went out to Minnawska today to XC Ski today. Conditions are really good. Lots of coverage, groomed tracks, but the snow was a bit sticky/slow. Blue bird sky. Good times!!
Nice, I'm going tomorrow.
I like to give the snow a day to drain down, and firm up. It should be good for skating.
No pics?

onetracker

Nice, I'm going tomorrow.
I like to give the snow a day to drain down, and firm up. It should be good for skating.
No pics?
Cool! Enjoy! Sorry, I forgot my phone in the car. It was firm today. You will have a good day; it is a winter wonderland. I may head up later this week depending on how the temps play out.

ebarker9

Any tips for someone who's never been up to Minnewaska? Thinking about going early Saturday and doing a rental for my wife. Expect things to be extremely crowded on the weekend? She's never tried, and will no doubt find it frustrating, but I figure it's a beautiful area even if the skiing doesn't really work out.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any tips for someone who's never been up to Minnewaska? Thinking about going early Saturday and doing a rental for my wife. Expect things to be extremely crowded on the weekend? She's never tried, and will no doubt find it frustrating, but I figure it's a beautiful area even if the skiing doesn't really work out.
The park opens at 9, if you get there early it's not crowded. It gets busy around 11 or 12pm.

Go out Lower Awosting toward Castle Point, it's a good starting point for beginners. However there is a downhill to get to it that you can dismount.

onetracker

The park opens at 9, if you get there early it's not crowded. It gets busy around 11 or 12pm.

Go out Lower Awosting toward Castle Point, it's a good starting point for beginners. However there is a downhill to get to it that you can dismount.
Did you hit Minnawaska yesterday? How was it? Did it rain later in the day? Hope you had a good ski!

onetracker

Agree with Iggy. You should also consider going to Mohonk Mountain House; buy a day pass at the entry gate. You can do a rental right on site and have lunch after. Maybe a more wholeistic experience for your wife if you are looking to get her hooked. Might currently be a bit more beginner friendly in light of the construction at Minnewaska. Day passes at Mohonk will be a bit more expensive, FYI. Just a thought.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you hit Minnawaska yesterday? How was it? Did it rain later in the day? Hope you had a good ski!
I did go to Minnewaska yesterday. It was great, I skied every trail, about 20 miles. I was feeling tired after about 1:45 but the snow got faster, which felt better. I plan to do a write up, once I start the new 2020 XC ski thread.

It felt so good to be back on skis, mtbing is fun but damn, so is skate skiing.
x-country-skiing.gif

canadensis

Hey thanks for the report!
Did you happen to notice if classic tracks were set in, and did you see any ice/bare spots at the point?

onetracker

I did go to Minnewaska yesterday. It was great, I skied every trail, about 20 miles. I was feeling tired after about 1:45 but the snow got faster, which felt better. I plan to do a write up, once I start the new 2020 XC ski thread.

It felt so good to be back on skis, mtbing is fun but damn, so is skate skiing.
View attachment 112709
Nice. The snow got faster on later in the day on Tuesday as well. I am thinking about heading up again tomorrow. Got to get it while it is hot!

canadensis

Minnewaska was great yesterday afternoon. Surface a little slow at times on my old rock skis, but a fantastic day. Thanks for the report!

Attachments

• 20191207_135621.jpg
    20191207_135621.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4

ebarker9

Got out to Minnewaska on Saturday as well. It was my wife's first experience cross country skiing and she enjoyed it, other than the short section at the end that wasn't groomed (we went out on Lower Awosting and back on Upper Awosting and then used "Sunset" to make our way back to the parking area).

May now be in the market for some skis for her, new BC boots for me and I suddenly have an interest in trying some skate skis. Slippery slope.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was my wife's first experience cross country skiing and she enjoyed it, other than the short section at the end that wasn't groomed (we went out on Lower Awosting
Wow, you took her up Lower Awosting, that's a lot of climbing at the end.

With the work being done in the old parking lot, access to easier trails is difficult, Upper Awosting is nice for beginners.

Go all in, you won't regret.

Top Bottom