2013 Horseshoe Scramble

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Save the date, Sunday December 8th.

More details coming soon!

This is the worst conflict of any conflicts I've ever been conflicted about...SSCX is one of the biggest CX events in the country and it's only an hour away this year!! Not to mention, I actually OWN a single-speed at the moment...:hmmm:

-Jim.

That’s a bummer since a few of you were 'talking up' breaking RDs and such at Horseshoe Scramble… but Im already in to help with SSCXWC13

This is the Horseshoe Weekend 4 years running. As much as we'd love to run this race in February when there are no conflicts in a 237,000 mile radius (OH NO THE VENUS WORLDS ARE THEN), we can't. So 12/8 it stays.

If you want to skip this awesome homegrown event and support the fascists, by all means, do so. You will acquire jock itch if you do this. But it might just be worth it.

Thanks for listening.

This is the Horseshoe Weekend 4 years running. As much as we'd love to run this race in February when there are no conflicts in a 237,000 mile radius (OH NO THE VENUS WORLDS ARE THEN), we can't. So 12/8 it stays.

If you want to skip this awesome homegrown event and support the fascists, by all means, do so. You will acquire jock itch if you do this. But it might just be worth it.

Thanks for listening.

Not for nothing but what's more grass roots than the the SSCXWC? Certainly not this. All the best, but be realistic.

The original date was chosen to fill a gap in the NJBA Schedule. I always wanted the race to be late in December to avoid the thaw and mud. That course is so friggin' nice when it's dry.

There's always going to be overlap in the schedule. You can't avoid that. You can avoid going against the really big events though. That's how the local scene will grow. There were 1,200 people registered for Nittany this past weekend because there were no conflicts. Every year so far HorseShoe has been on a date that conflicts with another event. HorseShoe will get 200 of those 1,200, and the other event will get over 1,000. If HorseShoe was scheduled properly it has the potential to be a lot bigger than it has been. It could be another big NJ event like HPCX or Mercer Cup. People could use an event closer to Nationals or Regionals, there's nothing in the schedule for a month after HorseShoe...

But this whole speech has already fallen on deaf ears.

-Jim.

Ill be there Norm! With or without waffles... But I would prefer waffles. That's the best part about cx, but I am preaching to the choir, right?

chances are these will be the only 2 races on the 8th in the northeast. not everybody is going to go to the sswc. plenty of racers for the 2 events. me and the mrs will be at horseshoe

chances are these will be the only 2 races on the 8th in the northeast. not everybody is going to go to the sswc. plenty of racers for the 2 events. me and the mrs will be at horseshoe

Makes sense to me.

Is ss cross really that popular?

Makes sense to me.

No but just a national level event with a cult following. I won't race it but will probably go to see the circus. Think of how many cross events I went to.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me.

No. But that race is huge. It may be one of the biggest events to hit the East Coast. Think Single Speed A Polooza for cross ...

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

I always wanted the race to be late in December to avoid the thaw and mud. That course is so friggin' nice when it's dry.

There's always going to be overlap in the schedule. You can't avoid that. You can avoid going against the really big events though. That's how the local scene will grow. There were 1,200 people registered for Nittany this past weekend because there were no conflicts. Every year so far HorseShoe has been on a date that conflicts with another event. HorseShoe will get 200 of those 1,200, and the other event will get over 1,000. If HorseShoe was scheduled properly it has the potential to be a lot bigger than it has been. It could be another big NJ event like HPCX or Mercer Cup. People could use an event closer to Nationals or Regionals, there's nothing in the schedule for a month after HorseShoe...

But this whole speech has already fallen on deaf ears.

-Jim.

Ok so first, you know as well as anyone the race can't be much earlier because football is god.

Second, the weekend after HS is Kutztown, a double, and a MAC race.

The weekend after that is Xmas.

After that NYE.

Frankly our hands are tied with this one. The only alternative is 12/1 and that sucks for 2 big reasons:

1. We would be marking the course at 6/7pm in the dark
2. Thanksgiving

But of course we may be going with that date because TOO BIG TO FAIL doesn't GAF about the local scene. Oh hey, we're coming to your hood with SSCX but FUCK YOU and your local races. We're going to bring 2000 tattooed hipsters and make your scene super awesome. Sorry but this is anything but grassroots. Grassroots doesn't come into an area and shit on the local races. Why does this stink of the HPCX TOO BIG TO FAIL story too? At least the promoters of that race had the decency to say they were sorry about it.

The reality is that the scene needs a race this coming weekend. It needs a double and anyone who stuck their wet finger in the air would know that this coming weekend is a tinder box of awesomeness waiting to happen. But because FOOTBALL IS GOD we can't do it at the HS venue. We've got some alternate ideas but we need to flesh them out for next year.

Anyway, I haven't been drinking at all. Or lying about drinking. At all. Really.

PS. Nittany is 1200/2=600. We'll get 250 for HS.

Crap I planed on doing the whole NJ SERIES + the SSCX and now this. I only own a SS Thanks to my stupidity!And thanks to Jim saying "I would quite before I start" I plan on doing the whole series on the SS just to prove him wrong and adding to my stupity!

Last edited:
You've been drinking, Kutztown is 3 weeks prior. Limestone is Nov30th and then there are no more MAC races after that. Dec 1, 7, 14, and 15 are all open...Limestone is the same day as Sussex#2 and WestWood is the same day as Gloucester so you're not alone in getting squeezed from bigger races. The series dodged a bullet with HPCX, thankfully Larry was able to move BubbleCross.

I'm not giving you a hard time here, I'm just frustrated because the series can be so much better than what it is. People will literally drive 4 hours to an event even though there's a local race 20 minutes from their house. To at least solve part of the problem, don't schedule a local race on a date there's something worth driving 4 hours for...How do you make it so your event is worth 1,200+ people pre-registering for? You have the course, you have the facility, and you have 2 clubs worth of manpower, seems like a shame to waste all that for 200 racers...

-Jim.

Back
Top Bottom