2010 GT Fury Alloy

samwise

Hi all -

Am new to NJ and new to the forum (already asking for advice) but not a total newbie to MTB - started a few year ago with a motobecane 700DS from bikesdirect and seriously thinking of upgrading. I came across 2012 GT Fury Alloy and wondering how this is for the price

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243350
http://www.raspee.com/presentation_display.jsp?productId=MTk0NA==
http://reviews.mtbr.com/gt-2012-bikes-zaskar-9r-pro-fury-alloy-more

Some references above.

What should be a good price? How is alloy different compared to carbon or titanium.

I come from across the border in Penn where would right generally flat trails in valley forge, some downhill and all mountain in Poconos. New to NJ but plan to start with Mercer Co Park - since its close to home mainly. Lets just say all mountain & trails for most part. Does this help.

The Fury bike looks like a load, something more for pure DH and maybe some All Mountain riding. You will find that lugging that bike around Mercer would suck. Farther North you could have more fun with it. I would recommend a hard tail of some sort. You can get a basic entry level hard tail for $500-700 to ride the XC trails, and then pick up the Fury for larger DH style trails. Having one bike to do both would have too much to desire when riding the other discipline.

don't listen to that guy he can't even hack the A ride

Get a 5" full suspension bike if you want to start riding all mountain and xc trails. If you have technical roots which I assume cause you're from PA, you will have the urge to ride some of NJ's most technical places and when you do you will be blown away by the trail sculpting by our volunteers.

Thanks Pearl! You are making it an expensive proposition having two bikes! :) However this is good advice. I was worried about the same myself. Any idea of dealers around where I can actually look at this in person?

i'm not familiar with a GT dealer. Manny brings up a good point of actually buying something closer "in the middle" of the two styles. That may also be another option.

"don't listen to that guy he can't even hack the A ride"

He he - you guys must know each other well! That however brings me to my other question - What are good "well sculpted for purpose" trails around here. I am obviously being lazy since there is so much trail talk here already... Will look into those. However if anyone cares to reply, thanks in advance.

Hit the local bike shop. This is where you need to be.

Get the support you need. Put down the computer mouse and have a good face to face discussion with the folks at your LBS.

If you're a homebody then Sourlands and Chimney Rock are your best bet for Northern trails without going north of I-78. The two are way different. Both challenging. Sourlands may be two stars more technical than Chimney Rock.

Bicycle Pro in Bordentown and Knapps Cyclery in Lawrenceville have a plethora of bikes to check out.

If you're a homebody then Sourlands and Chimney Rock are your best bet for Northern trails without going north of I-78. The two are way different. Both challenging. Sourlands may be two stars more technical than Chimney Rock.

Bicycle Pro in Bordentown and Knapps Cyclery in Lawrenceville have a plethora of bikes to check out.
I did check out Knapps, going there again this weekend. Will check out BicyclePro as well.

And already looking at my calendar for Sourlands/Chimney Rock. Hoping to give it a shot soon!

Made a decision

OK Guys made a decision after talking to my wife (One can only imagine what transpired) - I am sticking to my 700DS for now... atleast until next season. The verdict was my bike was still mostly OK.

On the otherhand she'll be looking for one herself..... :confused:

On the otherhand she'll be looking for one herself..... :confused:

OK...here is how you deal with that..(I just went thru it myself)

Give the wife your old bike and then go buy yourself a new one. I gave the wife my old GF full suspension and picked up a leftover Trex EX8 for myself. Super smart on my side since she's only been on the old bike about a handful of times and it would have been a huge waste of money to but 2 new bikes.

BTW, where are you in "central" NJ?

I have been testing the 2012 Alloy Fury for some time now, the bike is a true DH machine! As great as the I-Drive system pedals it will be to much bike for the XC trails. This bike is more geared towards Diablo or Plattekill since there are uplifts.
Heres my DH bike:
index.php

As for the trails you want to ride I would look into the GT Distortion, GT Force or GT Sanction. Basically 4"-6.5" of travel model bikes. I have been putting a ton of miles on my Distortion and been loving it. I have it set up with a short 50mm stem, 720mm 12.5mm rise carbon bars with a SRAM Reverb set post.
Heres my XC/Super D bike
264712_2165053762652_1135867432_2514071_2339216_n.jpg

Just for the record you don't need two bikes for going up and down. There an assortment of bikes that can be riden xc/am/dh without making to much of a sacrafice in any of the disciplines. Santa cruz blur lt is one that comes to mind. I don't have time to all bc I'm onmy phone.

:0oh, and btw? Is the gonna be rule about suggesting ht 29ers to every single muther******* person that joins the board? Sorry had to get that outta my system, the other thread locked before I got my 2cents in.

Last edited:
Just for the record you don't need two bikes for going up and down. There an assortment of bikes that can be riden xc/am/dh without making to much of a sacrafice in any of the disciplines. Santa cruz blur lt is one that comes to mind. I don't have time to all bc I'm onmy phone.

Just for the record I never said he had to buy a 2012 Alloy Fury, that is why I showed him my XC/Super D bike that is set up very aggressive which is perfect for the trails in the area. Also if he did want to go to a Lift access park he would still be able to ride most stuff depending on his skill level.

Not sure if that was towards me or not, but I feel like you have something against me. But lets play nice here sir. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom