2009 Rize 4 Chainstay - cracked

Zaskar

My buddy just noticed a crack on his chainstay after a ride on Saturday. Should this be covered under the frame warranty?

Did he have any protector on it? I just recently got the Rize 4 and am now in the market for a good chainstay protector. Still don't get why they are given with some bikes and not others?

A chainstay cover is only there to protect from chainslap and any "cosmetic" damage that may be done. It doesnt offer protection against more severe damage.

I agree with you but I do believe that if his buddy had anything covering his chainstay from crap hitting it, whether it be "chain slap" or "cosmetic damage" he may be in a better situation then the one he is currently in. I think it might not take away the chance of a broken chainstay but i think the odds would be better with some sort of buffer than just the bare chainstay.

Perhaps, but most chainstay cracks happen near the bottom bracket or rear dropouts, which would be unprotected.

True. That makes sense. Well sorry for the hijack.

I guess I won't be needing the new 14 carrot diamond plated chain stay cover from Gucci.

Thanks everyone. He is the original owner so he has that going for him. The issue may be that either a crash and/or a flying rock may have caused it. It's in the middle of the chainstay and appears to have some scuffing.

It happened again

What's the deal...are these carbon fiber chainstays that fragile?
Do shops see this alot?

Spylab chainstay cover = white electrical tape

In related news, a protector has no bearing on the chainstay cracking. Warranty HO!

Back
Top Bottom