2007 Churn And Burn 24hr race

too many posts to catch up with!!

Looks like the forum got a lot of activity this weekend....I can't keep up.

Anyway, here is my race recap...

First of all....major disappointment: HARPOON BREWERY is no longer a sponsor!! so no BEER!! :mad: :mad:

Got there Friday afternoon, set up camp, grilled some steaks, made some quesadillas and had a few cold ones. About 11pm the rain sets in...:mad: Of course, what do I expect it is a 24hr hour race, there has to be rain. It rained all night until about 10AM the next day. Luckily there had not been any rain in a few days and the course was bone dry until Fri night.

The rain didn't do a lot of damage, I guess compared to last year, this year's mud was NOTHING.

The course was shortened a little bit from last year because new campsite construction. I warn you, it is a small course, only 4.7 miles, but it is a lot of fun and excellent for SS. There is only 1 major climb (which might look like nothing compared to Allamuchy) that I had to push the bike, but it is doable with gears and even with SS if you have the legs (my buddy cleaned it on his SS). I didn't remember all the rocks and roots this place has..they are sweet, it is not super technical but it keeps it interesting and reminds you that if you loose focus you are going down, which happened to me a couple of times.

After a few laps at night I began to feel very tired and I was struggling a lot with the slippery roots and rocks so I decided to call it a night. I showered, ate and sat by the fire for a little then hit the sack. It got really cold at night, I think someone said 40 degrees....it felt really cold. I had a great sleep (my first time at a 24hr event, usually I can't sleep) I woke up around 6.30 and went out again for another 5 laps.

So I finished TOP 10.........10 out of 15 SOLOS...hahaha. I did 16 laps, this time my buddies from the 24HOA took revenge and did better than I did, Rodrigo 17 and Johan (who bonked really bad at 24HOA) managed to do 20!
I also finished TOP 3 on single speed......3 out of 3....hahahaha, only 3 SS's and one of them was my buddy Johan, the other guy on SS did 21 laps I believe.

This is a small race, only 15 solos, and about 6 2-man teams, 5 4-man teams and like another 5 5+man teams... so not a lot of traffic. Well, I take that back, there is traffic only for 8hrs, because of a COLLEGE 8hr ENduro race that starts at the same time....man, those guys/girls fly!!! they were passing us like they had a freaking engine. I wished I was into MTB racing when I was 18-19.

I think the winner in Solo did about 28 laps, I don't remember. I didn't see the official results yet.

Overall I had a lot of fun I was happy with my performance considering after the 24HOA I went on vacation and didn't do any type of exercise (except walking like crazy) until this weekend. I also broke my own record from last year when I did 13 laps with a geared bike.

I was a little bit disappointed with the prizes and the lack of beer. This year there was only some merchandise and trophy for the 1st places, last year they had stuff for top 3. I wonder why....Last year I even got a Harpoon Brewery hat at the end. I hope next year they get more prizes again and also Harpoon Brewery back as a sponsor ;)

It is a great race anyway....the course is not a killer like Allamuchy, it is fast and fun with a lot of nice techy sections, about 4 bridges, you park next to your campsite so no need to carry all your gear back and forth, there is water and electric on each campsite, the bathrooms are in great shape: regular toilets and showers, there is also a store at the main gate with ice, water, etc. in case you ran out of anything.

Ps. I just found out the winner of the college Enduro race did 16 laps in 8 hours...damn!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom