$2

euphoria

We rode RV this morning. The trails are pretty dry but the rocks are a bit "sweaty" and slick. Challenging but still fun. Therre was alot of blowdown and a bunch of downed trees, including several on that last stretch of single track on the red trail.

Anyways, we parked at the boat launch and took the road over to the main entrance, trying to skip out on the entry fee. Is it $10 now for cars? Well not sure exactly how much it was for cars, but they nabbed us for $2 EACH on the bikes. I prolly wont be riding there any longer if they keep that up...

I watched workers remove down trees for two days over there. I'm glad to pay the $2 to have trails to ride.

If I had to rely on the main lot @RV I would boycot the place. Fortunately there is the cushetunk lot 'round back.

If I had to rely on the main lot @RV I would boycot the place. Fortunately there is the cushetunk lot 'round back.

Start at Cushetunk?

we did think about that for future rides, but she said to ride the cushetunk trail, its $2. no matter where you park, its $2 per bike if your gonna be on the red trail.

I watched workers remove down trees for two days over there. I'm glad to pay the $2 to have trails to ride.

i agree, $2 is not alot to pay for good trails, but consider kingdom trails is $5, and well, paying for RV jsut doesnt seem like a bargain to me when there are lots of other places i can ride. and yes, i also do TM and give back in other ways when i can.

Last edited:
$2 is not a bad deal considering RV was in danger of closing less than 2 years ago.

RV is a State park. It just rubs me the wrong way that you have to pay to use it... if gov't $ was not so mismanaged there would not be a fee.
Charging to use trails on a county or state park is wrong, especially when Jorba does more to maintain these trails then park employees. NJ needs to promote recreation not discourage it.

What a great movie! A lot of you on this board weren't even doing the backstroke in your old mans sack when that came out. It sucks gettin old.:mad: Sorry for the hijack, carry on....

I would rather pay $2 than not be able to ride there at all. Remember last year when they were talking of closing it completely....that would suck! The money helps to maintain the trails and preserve the beauty of the place.

BTW, the Cushetunk lot is Hunterdon County property, not owned by the State (it is not considered part of RV) so they will NOT charge you $2 when you enter from there.

They shouldn't get you for a park entrance fee, and $2, as they publish the fees on the web:
RoundValley.JPG

Tom P.

Last edited:
I would rather pay $2 than not be able to ride there at all. Remember last year when they were talking of closing it completely....that would suck! The money helps to maintain the trails and preserve the beauty of the place.

BTW, the Cushetunk lot is Hunterdon County property, not owned by the State (it is not considered part of RV) so they will NOT charge you $2 when you enter from there.

sounds like the best way to ride there to skip out on paying, but like i said, the ranger told me to ride on the red trail, its $2 no matter where you park or enter from...

not to start any arguments as i really dont quite understand it, but if they maintain the trails, why does jorba put in tm days there?

Not an opinion either way, but...

Ironically enough, it has been posited by economists far and wide that the cost of collecting such modest taxes (please don't call them "fees") far exceeds the revenue generated. Though the per car tax is probably profitable on its own - at the $2 mark per bike, I wonder wether the cost of administration, staffing the entrance, utilities, etc. is justified or merely serves to deter environmentally friendly activities and income generation around the park area, etc. Remember, our government sometimes neglects to perform such an analysis first. Ever wonder why some big box stores sell some items at below cost??? Ever hear how much it costs to collect each .35 tax on the GSP v. increased pollution, congestion, etc?

That being said, I once drove back to the entry gate at Ringwood when I realized that I bypassed the booth by going the wrong way down a one way road by accident. The attendant attempted to talk me out of paying - but I did anyway.

Not an opinion either way, but...

Ironically enough, it has been posited by economists far and wide that the cost of collecting such modest taxes (please don't call them "fees") far exceeds the revenue generated. Though the per car tax is probably profitable on its own - at the $2 mark per bike, I wonder wether the cost of administration, staffing the entrance, utilities, etc. is justified or merely serves to deter environmentally friendly activities and income generation around the park area, etc. Remember, our government sometimes neglects to perform such an analysis first. Ever wonder why some big box stores sell some items at below cost??? Ever hear how much it costs to collect each .35 tax on the GSP v. increased pollution, congestion, etc?

That being said, I once drove back to the entry gate at Ringwood when I realized that I bypassed the booth by going the wrong way down a one way road by accident. The attendant attempted to talk me out of paying - but I did anyway.

I read this 3 times and still can't understand it :D

not to start any arguments as i really dont quite understand it, but if they maintain the trails, why does jorba put in tm days there?

The State will remove a dead body found on the trail... Jorba will prune back vegatation, grade to prevent erosion and provide the best possible trail user expereince they can with man power available. I don't want to come off as negative to state park employees, its just that the budget is not there to do much as far as trail maintenance.:D

I wonder wether the cost of administration, staffing the entrance, utilities, etc. is justified or merely serves to deter environmentally friendly activities and income generation around the park area, etc. Remember, our government sometimes neglects to perform such an analysis first.

What you just described can best be summed up in 1 word: BUREAUCRACY.
ok i had to google it to spell it correctly.

This is not a bureaucracy issue. They're not paying someone to collect biker fees. They're not paying someone extra to count the extra $2 every day. What they're doing here is turning someone's extra 8 minutes of down time in a booth into $16 a day, if not less.

It's a park, it offers resources, $2 is a bargain. You guys remember Eddie Murphy. WHAT A BARGAIN!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions