1998 Specialized FSR Comp Sparks Up Nostalgia at Allaire

Man, I remember chasing the DH version of this down Plattekill in early 2001. But with rim brakes I would recommend keeping it XC. I rode my GT LTS 2000 down Mtn Creek before it was Diablo and then Creek again…..that was frightening.
I wonder if that fork is coil or elastomer?? Anyway, if you like the way it rides then ride it. Granted you may get the stink eye from the 29er crowd, riding a 26er but that suspension is real good for climbing and descending. My GT LTS and my Iron Horse had Horst link rears and it’s a solid setup IMHO. Curious what the head angle is now that the fork was replaced…probably made it less nervous.
Anyway you slice it…cool bike.
Appreciate this. It is definitely a very different feel compared to my other bikes. I can see the difference in geometry and riding position when I lean it against my workbench, as compared to my other bikes. Headtube angle is definitely the slackest of all the bikes I own, which must be the main reason it rides so differently. But yeah, I really like it. And if the coolness factor offsets the grief I might get for the bar ends (which I have on every bike I ride, lol), I'm good!

Put a dropper on it and you’re golden. 😆
Do they make any that will work? When I tried to find one for my Y11, it was a no-go due to clearance issues with the top of the rear triangle. Similar problem here or no?

I actually have a nearly complete Deore 1x10 drivetrain NIB waiting for installation on my Coda bikepacking rig, but was actually thinking about putting it on the FSR.

1x10 and a dropper, hmmm.......that could really make things interesting.

What size is the seat post?

One possible reason for the dual crown fork is back then longer travel single crown forks were on the flexy side.

If you've been riding long enough you've ridden with a guy who had a stumpy like that one. I'd just keep it and get those noatalgia smiles on (easier) group rides.

Do they make any that will work? When I tried to find one for my Y11, it was a no-go due to clearance issues with the top of the rear triangle. Similar problem here or no?

I actually have a nearly complete Deore 1x10 drivetrain NIB waiting for installation on my Coda bikepacking rig, but was actually thinking about putting it on the FSR.

1x10 and a dropper, hmmm.......that could really make things interesting.
You might be able to put a 50mm dropper... if you remove the shock. Then of course, you'd have all sorts of other problems. 😁 These museum pieces are meant to be admired and ridden gently around the neighborhood. Sell it and forget it.

If you've been riding long enough you've ridden with a guy who had a stumpy like that one. I'd just keep it and get those noatalgia smiles on (easier) group rides.
Good point. I tend to keep everything I build/ride either factory-correct or at least period-correct. The 1x10 setup doesn't really do much vs. the gearing that's on there now, I've done the gear charts. Less weight, who cares. The simplicity when shifting is nice (I run that setup on my Marlin too) but like you say, preserving the nostalgia factor weighs here.

LOL I rode my Horst link 200mm SGS DH as a trail bike for a few years to HTFU. Yeah, younger and dumber. Put a triple up front that had to be shifted manually (100/140 bottom bracket and no easy FD mount.) Mostly just blew up my knees doe.

Been meaning to build dat biggun back up oneathese winters JFS&G.

1672857561632.png

My only full-suspension mtn bike for many years was my 1998 Yeti Lawwill DH-6 running a XTR E-type front derailleur and triple chain rings. The final build had parts from my last M1 on it: 180mm Boxxer and Mavic D3.1 UST wheels. It wasn't light at around 37 lbs, but it was good trail bike. If I had the legs, it would climb up anything.

LOL I rode my Horst link 200mm SGS DH as a trail bike for a few years to HTFU. Yeah, younger and dumber. Put a triple up front that had to be shifted manually (100/140 bottom bracket and no easy FD mount.) Mostly just blew up my knees doe.

Been meaning to build dat biggun back up oneathese winters JFS&G.

View attachment 204053
I used to ride my SGS 1x9 at kittatinny, clipped with 165mm cranks. I think it was 47lbs.

If any of you guys are actually interested in older DH/Freeride bikes, there is a guy up my way who is selling off what's leftover from the Ridetopia liquidation after the owners passing. Quite a few interesting bikes and frames up for sale, including at least one of those Brodie Diablos like I traded to @jklett. They're posted up on Facebook marketplace.

Back
Top Bottom