1998 Specialized FSR Comp Sparks Up Nostalgia at Allaire

kjarrett

Hey, so, I flip bikes, and sometimes, when they're my size, I end up keeping them, lol. So it goes with this 1998 FSR Comp I scooped up the other day. Got it from the original owner, who added the Judy XL and replaced the admittedly horrific graphics with what you see here.

Anyway, I've been enjoying it (shown below on my local trails) but today I hit Allaire (it was PACKED!) and got into no less than FOUR different fun conversations with groups of folks, all of which were people that either had an FSR of this era, or know someone who did.

It's a really fun bike to ride, I'm definitely enjoying it, and though it will be sold at some point, for now, it's earned a special place in my collection simply because IT'S A BRO MAGNET! lol It is great running into people who have such fond memories of theirs or one they knew.

What makes this bike so special? Serious question, I'd love to know your thoughts. At 30 pounds, it's no lightweight, but it handles well and climbs decently.

-kj-

IMG_4406 conv.jpeg

Haha, I saw you in the lot as I was getting ready to leave around 11:55, definitely old school.

Nice! It's officially vintage now.
I retired my '99 S-Works FSR a few years ago. Back in the day it was my race bike, then it served as a bikepacking rig.

xAAiCLHid5Eq0dq3OpHT_aYvIvumH3W1NRBKWp3fA0fl5MRmBZSNwA1m0cfLA2_1QFYA_sTTV9sA_H-amgYZRtFridcJ-Lysa3qpnoOEwXV3SchN__IzB9RgzVhBqCVSpS4KRjmipuGwU69IkLA8-ixIRUjg3uHhuLblExLDWBnGwq5Xq0iC5QozY4NqcDq6OSpSxNoYYTPRdiiKW6LqZNJHb_KtRZ4LHQEJxin8AVuZhQWABks6xWryBOor-y9F9DPZXQKVmwHcfweHBglf7ocw1t6To71g1GTInodmpgecr4WWPUEwKK81EnqTUoA0qqRlZmV2dB9Mt3q-2eObthqD1EtPBFqB2K9xT-gdzfHsqp9FAcdbVj5mQdT6ez9sTT6BvyFxcWXt6NE6866M4yMZN0V129LCOPVniNdoZ-aPElupbbOVNNpPsqPdA_N_hkUFJ50MJxGKcsII04jRVzSXNS4tqN1WIw8Id4k_-3tkkvtShjKCb4ep35-zFelk1nwcsFc8PcwZnqAbWOU8au1V4_gGHetB3uUIPb8SDd_Od5C6KXIQmfqKawTxk3ntFhOZQ9ESX-mqcj4XkU5I-fw4LaIXac-yWppJcf4q0f4FJlt3_QvyoRx-e8TJAwCknF8wLnM7LXHOvie0c_ob9tmXdxAkLp_pqjYeOJ9X6tp16lCxbo-fmbFzNB4kljGSDcmX4cVgumcDA3FcFENeXGhUIruxY7I2rsBdznlYX7YzSJtDIYdVNunBDH-Vc7tFLMrcgv2RYtS2emVRwDSqPKtbn-7FNFG2eFr8t3rxleDo6HGpL8dR_TuyEVtdc3WYK2p6NEjGOqGTTnFAFBq7aSmlYYW-wQsNmPh_CjvorW4yjm0UURIFvB845RlRASACir5jui8AOriEUMe1coa0Zzjlisf54KpaUakTndyAeKUXt0WQ9CgDLKMXm4R2CIT_AxcDpijzpYfS0bd6Sg=w2048-h1152-no
That’s pretty cool! Any advice regarding bikepacking? I have a steel Jamis Coda 700C dad bike that I have plans to use for that.

That’s pretty cool! Any advice regarding bikepacking? I have a steel Jamis Coda 700C dad bike that I have plans to use for that.
Depending on the type of bikepacking trips you intend to do, getting the bags and gear for your bike is key. Bikepacking.com is a good resource.

I do primarily off-road trips and my '11 Salsa Fargo Ti is my main bikepacking rig.

30 lbs is light for a dual crown rig. I have a 2023 Trek Fuel EX, full carbon everything that weighs nearly 31 lbs.
Cool ride, ahhhh yes the 90's. Like the 80's except with suspension and clipless pedals.

30 lbs is light for a dual crown rig. I have a 2023 Trek Fuel EX, full carbon everything that weighs nearly 31 lbs.
Cool ride, ahhhh yes the 90's. Like the 80's except with suspension and clipless pedals.
Interesting! Good to know. Thanks!

Never thought I’d see bar ends and a dual crown on the same bike and yet here we are…

@w_b weren’t you riding an old FSR before your pivot? That’s a hell of a transition by the way 😂

Never thought I’d see bar ends and a dual crown on the same bike and yet here we are…
Ha! Was wondering when that would get noticed! Actually it’s the perfect intro to my next (serious!) question, which is, if I’m never (and I do mean NEVER) going to DH this thing, why keep it? Put another way, why would some ride trails or XC with a dual crown bike like this?

Hell, I know, whatever works, right? Some people get fancy full-squish rigs and ride them on rail trails. To each their own. But I already have a vintage XC full squish, my (yes I know URTs suck) 22 pound full-XT Y11.

I bought the FSR to flip and that’s ultimately what will happen to it, just wondering how 'odd' it is to ride trails with it, like at Allaire.

Thanks, kj

Fun for someone else to ride, maybe. Not something I’d even consider, tbh. Doubt I could make down a single run on Greenhorn without eating shit.

@w_b weren’t you riding an old FSR before your pivot? That’s a hell of a transition by the way 😂
Yes! I have several Specs, including a ‘97 Max Backbone frame, a ‘98 Comp, (same frame as this gem, bought new at The Peddler when they were in Red Bank) and an ‘04 Enduro. The older ones have the shark fin rear bolt-on disc caliper mount (frame was not yet disc-ready,) Mountainspeed bushing-to-bearing kits, and the MS 6” rear travel link/Fox shock upgrade. The Enduro had all that stock by ‘04. Great riding bikes.

And yes lots of firsts for me on the T429:
1. More than 9spd
2. Larger than 26” wheels
3. Tubeless
4. DW link
5. Carbon
6. Dropper
7. WIDE bars

and since have added AXS. Easy transition as errthing works so dam good on the Pivot.

Last edited:
Pretty damn odd...lol, although I've seen guys with full on DH bikes complete with stereo sound systems cruising though 6 mile "look'n ta shred brah !! "
I've ridden that 40# Brodie I got from you at sourlands, sixmile, nassau(and the flow trails) and the group ride on the Columbia trail(that one hurt though) just because it was the wrong choice so you never know what's in someone's head. Admittedly it was best suited at Creek but proved to me that you can probably ride any bike anywhere, just have to have realistic expectations on what you're going to do.

Admittedly it was best suited at Creek but proved to me that you can probably ride any bike anywhere, just have to have realistic expectations on what you're going to do.
I was in the best shape of my life when I used to ride my 40lb 170mm enduro bike from home to Lewmo for a couple laps then back home. Obviously wasn’t scoring any KOMs but I guarantee I was having more fun than I would on a 20lb XC bike.

Ha! Was wondering when that would get noticed! Actually it’s the perfect intro to my next (serious!) question, which is, if I’m never (and I do mean NEVER) going to DH this thing, why keep it? Put another way, why would some ride trails or XC with a dual crown bike like this?

Hell, I know, whatever works, right? Some people get fancy full-squish rigs and ride them on rail trails. To each their own. But I already have a vintage XC full squish, my (yes I know URTs suck) 22 pound full-XT Y11.

I bought the FSR to flip and that’s ultimately what will happen to it, just wondering how 'odd' it is to ride trails with it, like at Allaire.

Thanks, kj
Man, I remember chasing the DH version of this down Plattekill in early 2001. But with rim brakes I would recommend keeping it XC. I rode my GT LTS 2000 down Mtn Creek before it was Diablo and then Creek again…..that was frightening.
I wonder if that fork is coil or elastomer?? Anyway, if you like the way it rides then ride it. Granted you may get the stink eye from the 29er crowd, riding a 26er but that suspension is real good for climbing and descending. My GT LTS and my Iron Horse had Horst link rears and it’s a solid setup IMHO. Curious what the head angle is now that the fork was replaced…probably made it less nervous.
Anyway you slice it…cool bike.

I've ridden that 40# Brodie I got from you at sourlands, sixmile, nassau(and the flow trails) and the group ride on the Columbia trail(that one hurt though) just because it was the wrong choice so you never know what's in someone's head. Admittedly it was best suited at Creek but proved to me that you can probably ride any bike anywhere, just have to have realistic expectations on what you're going to do.
True 'nuff ! I also rode that Brodie a lot of places that it wasnt necessarily suited for. Wayway,Kittitiney,Mahlon,even tried to do a @Reggie Mooch north group ride with it back in the day! Back then I had two bikes. A Gary Fisher Paragon set up full rigid and single speed, and that Brodie Diablo, 180/170mm, 40# full on old school, roof drop freeride bike. So basically I NEVER had the right tool for job 🤣 !! I loved that Brodie though, and if could have found a dropper to work with that interrupted seat tube, to make it more versatile, I might have kept it. But just like now, I ALWAYS had fun riding no matter what I threw a leg over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom