160mm travel too much for the trails?

Setup completed. Tire pressure made a big difference going from 30 to 21and 24. Adjusted air for my weight with gear and finally set rebound. Sag was spot on using the trek calculator. Final move was to ditch the skinny slab seat for an old reliable WTB saddle (sore butt gone). Lewis Morris this morning and the ride was great! no tire deflection or pogo suspension. Will try Chimney Rock tonight with this setup and see how much improvement I see.

update:Chimney post setup went great. I was able to make every climb and did not experience any of the issues I initially had. There probably are some differences from my 29 regarding rolling resistance but it is what it is, and there were several sections where I was able to hop up on a ledge with this bike and not as confidently with the 29. The dropper post really surprised me and have been using it constantly, and Love the clearance from the single chainring.
I may change the front tire to a 2.8 and maybe ESI grips and a full wrap for the carbon frame and rims.

How do I justify the money I spent on this bad boy?...by riding it!
Sold my Jeep this year because of non use and it dawned on me today that we as mountain bikers have figured out how to play in the dirt, have fun modifying our rides and really getting full use of them because of all of the accessible trails!

I think you just need to play with your suspension. I’ve done hundreds of Lewmo laps on a Commencal Meta AM. 27.5 and 170mm travel. It was fun as hell and I was in the best shape of my life after a couple months of it.

I like that polished frame in 29er cause 29 is King. 😂😂😂

In 2011 a short trail Giant 29er ran bye Russ Schnell won Downieville and everyone was up in arms. Matter of time.

I like that polished frame in 29er cause 29 is King.
I’m short af and always feel awkward on 29s. I do plan to strip my frame and polish it though because that look is amazing and they never did it with the 27.5 version lol.

Last edited:
update:Chimney post setup went great. I was able to make every climb and did not experience any of the issues I initially had. There probably are some differences from my 29 regarding rolling resistance but it is what it is, and there were several sections where I was able to hop up on a ledge with this bike and not as confidently with the 29. The dropper post really surprised me and have been using it constantly, and Love the clearance from the single chainring.
I may change the front tire to a 2.8 and maybe ESI grips and a full wrap for the carbon frame and rims.

How do I justify the money I spent on this bad boy?...by riding it!
Sold my Jeep this year because of non use and it dawned on me today that we as mountain bikers have figured out how to play in the dirt, have fun modifying our rides and really getting full use of them because of all of the accessible trails!
You should come out to CR fun Monday tomorrow night. 5:30 Ballfield lot off Ghimney rock rd.

Last edited:
Out cause covid express, but this should be a good one.
Weather is on point.

Update:
I ended up getting an exchange from a different shop, shout out to the Trek store in Sterling! They had many bikes in stock, ended up with a Fuel EX 9.8 GX AXS. Just got back from my first ride and its amazing! The ride is night and day from the remedy and is perfect for all the rocks and roots. I have some old injuries to my thumb and this electronic shifter is just what the doctor ordered!

Thank you guys again for all of your input

Back
Top Bottom