10spd Chain Compatibility

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Will 10spd SRAM chains work with shimano 10spd cassettes? I know on the road it is no issue, but there were rumors it didn't work for the mtb lines. From the mtbr hell-hole, some people said it would work. Anyone here try it?

yes, and I tested this last night. The front derailures and shifters are swappable too between the brands. FYI you can use a shimano 3 speed front shifter with a 2x10 FD if you set the 2 speeds to be what would normally be the middle and big ring. Once the limits are set on the FD you won't be able to tell that it's a 3 speed shifter too. This MIGHT work with SRAM 3 speed shifters but I'm not sure yet.

I spent 3 hours last night reading up on the 2x10 FD's as I had mis-ordered a direct mount, got the wrong one cause I'm dumb :)

I have a sram 1071 chain and XT 10 speed rear cassette. I mean I only rode around my neighborhood but it worked great.

Also, the sram 10 speed chains make lots of noise on the shimano road cassettes. I've read that and I experience it on my road bike.

I wonder if it still does with shimano mtb cassettes

Also, the sram 10 speed chains make lots of noise on the shimano road cassettes. I've read that and I experience it on my road bike.

I wonder if it still does with shimano mtb cassettes

it doesnt seem to be as bad on the 9spd mountain stuff.

word is that the newer sram chain aren't as loud. I prefer shimano chains on the road with a quick link.

In theory, 10-speed Shimano MTB will only work with 10-speed Shimano MTB. I'm sure you can throw anything on there and it'll shift, just not as good as it will using the Shimano chain. I use Shimano chains all the way around because they shift better, feel nicer, and are much harder to break, even when using SRAM everything else.

-Jim.

In theory, 10-speed Shimano MTB will only work with 10-speed Shimano MTB. I'm sure you can throw anything on there and it'll shift, just not as good as it will using the Shimano chain. I use Shimano chains all the way around because they shift better, feel nicer, and are much harder to break, even when using SRAM everything else.

-Jim.

Are you using the shimano pin or a quick link?

Are you using the shimano pin or a quick link?

I've done both, but prefer using a KMC Missing Link. I have that set-up on my Sola right now and it came in handy during a mishap at Sourlands last week:D

-Jim.

Back
Top Bottom