“The Rules”. A point or counterpoint

Well a Fred on a TT bike passed me on my way into my neighborhood and looked back as if he dropped me hard AF so my position remains the same about them don’t @ me

If you're around people who are referencing these in a serious way, I'd recommend either responding with a look of serious disappointment any time the topic comes up until the behavior changes or otherwise finding different people to be around.

except how to take a picture of your bike....:D

i tend to think about HTFU when people start complaining.
right up there with TFB.

bugs.jpg

Well a Fred on a TT bike passed me on my way into my neighborhood and looked back as if he dropped me hard AF so my position remains the same about them don’t @ me

Ha today I passed some guy on an ebike. He caught up to me a few miles later on Amwell at a traffic light. He seemed to enjoy blowing me away on the takeoff when the light turned green - did it twice! Chatted a little at the lights - 70 years old, rode for decades, started having knee and hip problems. He carrie's an extra battery with him in a plastic box over the rear wheel for longer rides.

Ha today I passed some guy on an ebike. He caught up to me a few miles later on Amwell at a traffic light. He seemed to enjoy blowing me away on the takeoff when the light turned green - did it twice! Chatted a little at the lights - 70 years old, rode for decades, started having knee and hip problems. He carrie's an extra battery with him in a plastic box over the rear wheel for longer rides.
Well at least you know you have options in a few years.

I interpret the rules to be tongue in cheek but also a reminder of how cycling started. Honestly, I’m not sure how many of the rules pay homage to the roots of cycling but it seems a lot of them are from distant times. I’ve also taken #5 HTFU to be a motivator rather than an insult. It’s almost a mantra. I often mumble that to myself when I’m gassed, sucking wind, and everything hurts.

I get a chuckle out of them but also break many. Who cares!? Yay bikes!

You guys are jumping ahead. Whatever the intent was when writing these, they are used pretty often in normal (non sarcastic/ paradoxical) conversation. People use them all the time.
We must discuss.

View attachment 99160

This one I like. More when talking to myself then telling someone else what to do. It's more of a motivational rule than an insult (which is also used as).
Once in a while I'll catch myself slacking and this might be used to snap out of it.

While I've certainly pushed pretty deep into being able to use this one, I find it super cheesy since it's become a ladies' yoga pant company. I mean, I'm sure walking 2 blocks to a yoga class and then sitting in Starbucks for 3 hours afterwards is pretty rough, but no. It isn't. Super cheese.

C2587E83-E136-45D0-967D-83EB1E922135.jpeg

This is one of the rules that almost sticks out because it's so good.
Many days have I felt like shit, almost talking myself out of a ride, only to get on the bike and do an emotional 180.
There's too many cliches about bikes and making you happy, bikes are cyclogists, etc... But there's something to it. Nothing can clear a mind, wipe out stress, and improve my current mental state like a good ride. I prefer a solid workout type of ride in these times, but different strokes for different folks...

View attachment 99500

Many days have I felt like shit, almost talking myself out of a ride, only to get on the bike and do an emotional 180.
There's too many cliches about bikes and making you happy, bikes are cyclogists, etc... But there's something to it. Nothing can clear a mind, wipe out stress, and improve my current mental state like a good ride. I prefer a solid workout type of ride in these times, but different strokes for different folks...

Very true. There have been many days where I just felt exhausted, like I didn't have anything left to put into a ride. Those days have produced some of the best bike rides I've done for various reasons. I always feel way better after a ride.

:like:

can't be worrying about tire choice, kit choice, etc once the ride starts.
no sense fretting the hill at mile 40, 10 minutes into the ride -

the feeling of flight on a mtb is the superman??
let's go for oneness with the trail ??

I'm 50/50 here. Usually I go into a ride and just clear my mind, not really thinking about much other than not killing myself. Sometimes that's how the whole ride goes, and sometimes I wind up thinking about whatever is going on in life and coming up with some good ideas. IMO let your head use the time however it's going to work for you today.

In 2019 I think the biggest thing about a ride is that you're away from a screen and all the technology distractions for however long you're on the bike. Couple that with doing something you like, something that's physically good for you etc. and it's almost a no-brainer that it will turn you around when you're done.

If someone clowns me for my kit not matching, I'll thank them for giving me the best motivation to beat them to the top of all the hills. I read them as sarcasm based around some good riding practices.

https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/the-rules-the-book-the-velominati.38087/

Lets keep this going:

Rule #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines. Sleeveless jerseys are under no circumstances to be employed.

I am totally on board with this one. One of the benefits of the longer sleeves on road jerseys is that they match long sleeves of t-shirts. I am fairly proud of hanging at the local pool with white-ass body and crisp tan lines. However, I am a potato so my level of tan-ness isn't great.

The only acceptable sleevesless shirt is if you can pull off this:
61KHLCYS3EL._UX569_.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom