“Pro’s” tech

Sold by the case? From reading the description, it sounds like the 170TPI version is basically design to last for ONE race. Riding these on the local trails would be like running DOT R-Comps on the street... technically you could... but it would be a bit of a waste.
Yep. They’re definitely race day only. I’m sure you would get more than one race on them. Maybe 2. lol.
Is 170tpi all they come in?

Edit - it comes in 120 too. I’ll probably buy a set. I’m a sucker for shit like this.

170 TPI and basically the amount of rubber on a gravel tire. No damping. Would be great for those super smooth UCI courses (minus the 3% of the course with "features"). Not sure for your typical NJ race.

They would probably be the ticket for setting a PR at 6MR if you can get a lap in during low-use times.

I look at those wee little knobs and all I can see is a bad day. The amount of bike handling skill to trust that side knob is amazing all on its own.

Show me the custom, hand machined or hand laid titanium and carbon fiber parts? Last time I checked my Toyota Sienna didn't have carbon fiber control arms and wheels. At the same time this is precisely what we don't see on Pro mtb race bikes. With the exception of tires on Nino's bike and custom blip buttons in the grips what part of his bike can't you buy?

Show me the custom, hand machined or hand laid titanium and carbon fiber parts? Last time I checked my Toyota Sienna didn't have carbon fiber control arms and wheels. At the same time this is precisely what we don't see on Pro mtb race bikes. With the exception of tires on Nino's bike and custom blip buttons in the grips what part of his bike can't you buy?
Probably the brakes, shifter, derailleur, hubs, rims, spokes, chain, pedals, seat, dropper, and rotors.

"Probably" doesn't count
Most of the stuff is disguised. It’s impossible to know unless you’re the mechanic. How long were they riding early versions of transmission before anyone knew? Same with the suspension. They put the normal Sid stickers on and you can’t tell the difference.
Do you think the new fox forks haven’t been being raced by pros for the last year?
Anytime new products are released, you can be sure they were tested thoroughly with whatever sponsored teams.

This reminds me of the “semi slick” tires we had in the late ‘90s. They were pretty much deadly on anything but hard pack dirt when ridden by regular jabronies like us.
We have buzzwords now though!

Tubeless
Durometer
Low PSI
High Volume
2”+
Supple

What others did I miss?

This reminds me of the “semi slick” tires we had in the late ‘90s. They were pretty much deadly on anything but hard pack dirt when ridden by regular jabronies like us.
Same. I used to run Continental Double Fighters on my Indy Fab Deluxe back in the late 90's. When the conditions were right, they were so much fun.

I'll never forget the year there was an Interbike demo at Mountain Creek. Got to ride down the mountain on a GT i-drive with the green Michelin Wildgripper semi slicks. There was nothing gripper or semi about them. Just Wild Slicks in the wet.

I'll never forget the year there was an Interbike demo at Mountain Creek. Got to ride down the mountain on a GT i-drive with the green Michelin Wildgripper semi slicks. There was nothing gripper or semi about them. Just Wild Slicks in the wet.

I took a rigid single speed Vicous steel bike down the mountain that year. That was such a dumb event 😂

Most of the stuff is disguised. It’s impossible to know unless you’re the mechanic. How long were they riding early versions of transmission before anyone knew? Same with the suspension. They put the normal Sid stickers on and you can’t tell the difference.
Do you think the new fox forks haven’t been being raced by pros for the last year?
Anytime new products are released, you can be sure they were tested thoroughly with whatever sponsored teams.

Speaking of FOX and some shit I completely forgot about until last week, remember the integrated Di2 Fox suspension? Same idea as Flight Attendant where it adjusts based on wattage and gearing but with a weird Di2 box and wires going to everything. Circa Julien Absalon Era. I don’t remember that ever coming to market…

I remember this one.
1713787243518.png

1713787206763.png

Speaking of FOX and some shit I completely forgot about until last week, remember the integrated Di2 Fox suspension? Same idea as Flight Attendant where it adjusts based on wattage and gearing but with a weird Di2 box and wires going to everything. Circa Julien Absalon Era. I don’t remember that ever coming to market…

Speaking of Fox, you could count on one hand how many pros were riding Fox forks at the World Cup.

Back
Top Bottom