“Pro’s” tech

Purl

Curious to what everyone might know about special tech the pros have that are not available to everyone. This is all sparked as I was watching the first UCI XCC of the year and there was a close up of Nino Schurter’s tires and it seemed to me that he’s riding on 170 TPI tires.
IMG_2787.jpeg

You pretty much can’t buy anything Nino rides. Even if it looks stock, it’s only labeled that way to throw people off.

Actually you may have caught something…what tyre model is that? The only tyre ending wit ‘ST’ in the Maxxis line up is the Locust and it’s a 24”…
Went back to the video tape and it’s an “aspen st”

Small tread?
Short tread?

My $0.02 thought

You pretty much can’t buy anything Nino rides. Even if it looks stock, it’s only labeled that way to throw people off.
I agree to an extent but coming from the motorized 2 wheel side I'll say that factory mtb team tech is no where near as custom as the stuff you see in Moto gp or mxgp. They use a ton of modified frames and fully custom made everything. Factory level bicycles have a ton of stock components that have had a tone of TLC done to them such as polishing of suspension parts and brake parts to remove stiction. You will see custom, factory only tires like the Aspen ST or preproduction stuff like wireless lockouts. For the most part these guys are riding a top line bike you can buy off the shelf with a ton of TLC.

I agree to an extent but coming from the motorized 2 wheel side I'll say that factory mtb team tech is no where near as custom as the stuff you see in Moto gp or mxgp. They use a ton of modified frames and fully custom made everything. Factory level bicycles have a ton of stock components that have had a tone of TLC done to them such as polishing of suspension parts and brake parts to remove stiction. You will see custom, factory only tires like the Aspen ST or preproduction stuff like wireless lockouts. For the most part these guys are riding a top line bike you can buy off the shelf with a ton of TLC.

No for real, Nino is riding stuff you can’t buy. My second job is testing prototype pre-production stuff for these guys. I rode transmission 5 years ago and had the first few versions of flight attendant before that. Currently working on the road/gravel side with some stuff that will be launched during the TDF.

No for real, Nino is riding stuff you can’t buy. My second job is testing prototype pre-production stuff for these guys. I rode transmission 5 years ago and had the first few versions of flight attendant before that. Currently working on the road/gravel side with some stuff that will be launched during the TDF.
I understand that. I am saying they are riding production or pre production products. The stuff Moto gp and mxgp you will never see on a production bike.

I understand that. I am saying they are riding production or pre production products. The stuff Moto gp and mxgp you will never see on a production bike.
Yea, but the idea is to have the tech trickle down to street bikes. For example, the twin spar frame and steering geometry from the RGV500 made it into the SRAD, which was a game changing bike in 96.

Never? Steering dampeners? Quick shifters? Throttle blips? Those were never on the road circuit and trickled down to production bikes?

Never? Steering dampeners? Quick shifters? Throttle blips? Those were never on the road circuit and trickled down to production bikes?

I'd assume the Factory Racing Teams only exsist to engineer products for the general public. Even F1 Tech is in modern production cars.

Back
Top Bottom