23-24 Ski and Snowboard thread

I was going to suggest Pico too as it’s never crowded and is more of a family mountain, no attitudes. And much lower rates than the bigger mountains but a fair amount of terrain. But…
1) check the schedule. They are usually closed Tues and Weds but may be open this week being a holiday week
2) there are no greens from the upper mountain. Only blues (steep ones at that) and blacks. The lower mountain has very nice blues and greens
Pico friggin rocks. Keep it on the hush hush, though, because it’d be a shame if people started going there on the weekends.

The trail Summit Glades is actually one of my favorite in the east on a snowboard. Consistent, not-too-steep but not boring pitch, and it really feels like you’re deep in the middle of the woods. It’s not true gladed terrain like the name suggests.

There are some really incredible legitimate glade trails at pico too.

Pico friggin rocks. Keep it on the hush hush, though, because it’d be a shame if people started going there on the weekends.

The trail Summit Glades is actually one of my favorite in the east on a snowboard. Consistent, not-too-steep but not boring pitch, and it really feels like you’re deep in the middle of the woods. It’s not true gladed terrain like the name suggests.

There are some really incredible legitimate glade trails at pico too.
Yep I remember back in the 80’s and 90’s they had a few lifts that are no longer there, including one that served a mid mountain glade, so you could just glade yourself all day.

My daughter is off next week.. so as much as I usually avoid presidents week at all cost, i'm going to take here to VT for tues / wed.

Considering we have ICON passes, where should we go??

For her needs, less people, mellow terrain and good grooming is what we are after.
I agree with the Pico people, but Stratton may be ok as well. They definitely have better grooming than Pico. Who knows what the crowds will be like up there? To me, Pico is great, but I think Stratton has a lot more beginner terrain than pico. It's kind of steep at the top of pico, with no real easy way down. But, I would guess it will be a lot less crowded. Either way, i'm sure your daughter will love it, don't even talk about lift lines, kids don't know or care. They just think its par for the course.

Anyone have any Epic Buddy passes they won't use? Very easy to transfer and the other person pays with a credit Card, so no risk that I'll rip you off!

How many are you looking for??
Taking my nephew to Beaver Creek, 4 days of skiing March 4th -7th.

i have the friends pass from my pass, but i think the buddy is considerably cheaper. I'll call, if its not cheaper, don't worry about it. I appreciate it!

What width underfoot are people skiing nowadays? I've skied on 96 underfoot for a while now and am getting a new pair within the next month or two and I'm debating on increasing width to ~ 105. I do primarily ski the east, though, which gives me pause... but since charging straight down ungroomed trails is my happy place I feel like a wider ski might be right.

What width underfoot are people skiing nowadays? I've skied on 96 underfoot for a while now and am getting a new pair within the next month or two and I'm debating on increasing width to ~ 105. I do primarily ski the east, though, which gives me pause... but since charging straight down ungroomed trails is my happy place I feel like a wider ski might be right.
When I was in Utah I demo'd some Nordica enforcer 100s and I thought they were pretty sweet. Good both on groomers and fresh snow. I think they would be fine around here, although not sure id want them over my Volkl Deacon 84s for garbage like Blue and camelback....I dont think I would want anything bigger than 100 unless I was at someplace like alta..... all this extra ski to move around and they are just no going to be as good on your average icy east coast day....Not sure what the point is for around here. I thought 100s felt pretty big even at alta in a blizzard.

Anyone else use boot heaters? I have found in my old age, my feet get cold much easier now....I got this hotronic set up which I really like....except for where the batteries mountain on your power strap. Makes for a pain in the ass getting the cuff of my pants over them...also makes it easy to knock the cable out of the battery....So I drew/printed this up last night. See if this works a little better

1708350030876.png

When I was in Utah I demo'd some Nordica enforcer 100s and I thought they were pretty sweet.
Been on enforcer 100s for about five years mainly East Coast. I think they’re a great all-around ski that holds the on ice and slashes crud (and pow whenever that happens).

Anyone else use boot heaters? I have found in my old age, my feet get cold much easier now....I got this hotronic set up which I really like....except for where the batteries mountain on your power strap. Makes for a pain in the ass getting the cuff of my pants over them...also makes it easy to knock the cable out of the battery....So I drew/printed this up last night. See if this works a little better

View attachment 232978
I used to use Hotronic boot heaters and they can really roast your feet even on the coldest days.
However, the other issue with getting older is they started to feel really heavy on my feet! Just cruising on some groomers I wouldn't notice the extra weight but if I hit some moguls they felt cumbersome.
Now I just use those neoprene bootgloves on colder days and for really cold days I'll throw in a disposable toe warmer.
It's not the same level of warmth as electric boot heaters but it works in all but the absolute coldest conditions and they still feel light.

View attachment 232978
Used Hotronics for the past 10 seasons. I'd usually rip at least one cable per year so they are a bit of a pain, but they worked well. One battery died recently so I decided to try some Lenz heated ski socks. Even more stupidly expensive than the Hotronics. Not sure if they will work as they a bit thicker than any ski sock I've ever fit in these boots. Figured they'd work for biking too on the coldest days.

Used Hotronics for the past 10 seasons. I'd usually rip at least one cable per year so they are a bit of a pain, but they worked well. One battery died recently so I decided to try some Lenz heated ski socks. Even more stupidly expensive than the Hotronics. Not sure if they will work as they a bit thicker than any ski sock I've ever fit in these boots. Figured they'd work for biking too on the coldest days.
I hear you, why I fully taped my cable....ugly, but after a few times skiing with it...im like..."well this is going to get destroyed in a hurry"

But I find the heaters are the most comfortable (i use tow warmers for biking and they dont bother me, but my ski boots...I dont like them) and the right amount of heat. I feel like they also taught me that when I feel my foot getting cold, it more likely an issue with my boot tightness....after nearly ripping my right foot off, my circulation isnt the same anymore.

I hear you, why I fully taped my cable....ugly, but after a few times skiing with it...im like..."well this is going to get destroyed in a hurry"

But I find the heaters are the most comfortable (i use tow warmers for biking and they dont bother me, but my ski boots...I dont like them) and the right amount of heat. I feel like they also taught me that when I feel my foot getting cold, it more likely an issue with my boot tightness....after nearly ripping my right foot off, my circulation isnt the same anymore.
I use Zipfit liners so they go on racer style. Lace em up and then jam the whole thing in the shell. Inevitably I would catch the dangling battery cable and destroy it. Cost of doing business for cozy toes.

The two things I like about the heated socks are that the battery is just snapped on and rolled up in the cuff of the sock, and the App that controls the heat.

View attachment 232978

I don't feel I need them during the day. I do have a heated bag that I use to pre warm them. No.sense starting them.off in the trunk at 30f

I use.it for my bike shoes on cold days too

Back
Top Bottom