very old cup and cone BB / crank removal...thin walled 15mm socket needed?

pygmypony

hey all, my wife has this sweet 1990s-ish LL Bean bike that is still very much in good shape...there's a minor bit of play in the bottom bracket / crank spindle that i'd like to get rid of...

in order to remove the crank arm to service the BB, i need a 15mm socket that has a super thin wall, i think...

has anyone else come across this issue and found anything that works, short of grinding down the outer wall of a 15mm socket?

thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 12.27.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 12.32.48 PM.png

Have not come across this issue, but if it is 15mm, that's a pretty common auto wheel socket size and there are thin walled options available.

I have one of these for those ol turds. Bring it by and I can pop it off

thanks, i have the crank extractor, i just don't have the 15mm socket to remove the bolt...it looks like what @Karate Monkey linked to is exactly what i need to get the bolt off! i'm on the lookout!

you got a friend with a lathe? thats probably the route i would go, just measure the ID of the recess and take a couple thousandths off for clearance, if i had a lathe id offer to turn it down for ya. that keeps the center of the oustide and the center of the hex on axis with each other.

@pygmypony The "Herse" one is the one you want. The other is strictly for axle nuts (it's a flat box wrench). I seriously doubt you'll find a PB wrench for sale at a bike shop, as 15mm bolts haven't been used extensively for years. Even Campy gave them up.

Like @Dingo said, you can get thinwall sockets that fit, too. Auto parts stores might have them in stock.

also to note, i didn’t even have to grind the entire outer diameter to get it to fit...just about half of it...

Back
Top Bottom