This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Seriously? "exit strategy" has been pretty much all that has been discussed recently. 3 phase approach to re-opening. A vaccine will come, likely by year end.
I don't think I articulated myself very well. I want to hear our leadership talk candidly and realistically about the trade-offs inherent in the different strategies. And let's not kid ourselves, any policy decision about any subject matter has trade-offs. @Paul H If immunity isn't possible then a vaccine is also useless. You are correct in that a lot is unknown. I'd love to hear exactly on what our leadership is basing current policy decisions.
Murpy extended lockdown for 30 more days.

Doesn't sound like an exit strategy to me.

I don't think I articulated myself very well. I want to hear our leadership talk candidly and realistically about the trade-offs inherent in the different strategies. And let's not kid ourselves, any policy decision about any subject matter has trade-offs. @Paul H If immunity isn't possible then a vaccine is also useless. You are correct in that a lot is unknown. I'd love to hear exactly on what our leadership is basing current policy decisions.

Doesn't sound like an exit strategy to me.

Still have no idea what you are looking for. What "exit strategy"? We closed everything down, now we are starting to reopen. This is a disease, it won't magically disappear. But we can't hide in our basements forever either.

Maybe not, but there is still no vaccine for HIV? How long has that been around, mid 80’s?

I think he mentioned previously that HIV is a different type of virus and really hard to get a vaccine for, unlike Corona Virus which historically takes 9 months from start to finish to have a suitable vaccine for injecting into the population.

Maybe I paraphrased that last part a little bit...

I think he mentioned previously that HIV is a different type of virus and really hard to get a vaccine for, unlike Corona Virus which historically takes 9 months from start to finish to have a suitable vaccine for injecting into the population.

Maybe I paraphrased that last part a little bit...
9 months sounds good to me!! That’s only a couple of months from now. I don’t know Jack shit, but I keep hearing at least 18 months from the news. I hope 9 months is the right answer!

9 months sounds good to me!! That’s only a couple of months from now. I don’t know Jack shit, but I keep hearing at least 18 months from the news. I hope 9 months is the right answer!

Pfizer just started a human trial in the US yesterday. No idea if it’ll work or not but there’s a lot of pressure to figure this one out.

Figure it out.

...But we can't hide in our basements forever either.

BINGO!!!

Objectively and realistically, we can't stay in the basement forever. Therefore, we need a realistic strategy for how life will continue. In my opinion, we bought time, we preserved the integrity of the health care system, we prevented unnecessary deaths. Of course no one, myself included, would advocate for unnecessary death, but the longer we are locked down the more that our health, economy, and society will degrade from issues other than Coronavirus. Our health will degrade as other medical services are unavailable. Our mental health will degrade as people are stressed about COVID, their jobs, paying the bills, etc. Our economy will degrade more because businesses are shut down and many of us aren't working. Society will degrade due to all the above combined with odd and distant nature of social interaction right now. So far, things have remained civil but I also fear that if this goes for too long, people that are having a hard time making ends meet will need to find ways to survive.

I guess my fear is that the "cure" i.e. the lockdown, is going to end up being worse than the disease.

--------------------------------

I'm gonna watch from the cheap seats from now on. I am guilty of being sucked into the fray from time to time but I don't come to this site to argue about viruses, lockdowns, politics, etc.

Everyone should have been out riding their bikes!

misleading headline and conclusion - note the 66% were either retired or unemployed and not going to work. That does not mean they "stayed home". They either are not social distancing or they were in close contact with others who did not. You don't get this by magic.

Back
Top Bottom