How sticky the rim tape should actually be?

michvin

I moved wheels around wheel sets and on one of my old wheels there was a black rim tape with yellow layer underneath it which I think is a rim protector (it is not sticky and just hugs the rim). I decided to replace the black tape with the one I got from my LBS today. Removed old, keeping the yellow protector and when I started to apply new tape it just did not stick..Is that normal? What am I doing wrong? is the yellow "protector" is indeed a protector?
Sorry for naive questions, but this all is new to me..
Thanks!

Pics, thanks.

Ideally, if you're talking about tubeless tape, it should be just sticky enough to grab the rim, so it isn't a pain to remove.

3M 8898 is ideal, in that sense (and is what some manufacturers actually repackaged), since it has a low-tack adhesive that is designed to remove cleanly.

Stan’s rim tape is hardly sticky at all... you have to pull it tight as you go and the tension will make it grab the rim, double over your starting point by a few inches and it will hold. I literally just finished finished doing this with some new wheels.

Pics, thanks.

Ideally, if you're talking about tubeless tape, it should be just sticky enough to grab the rim, so it isn't a pain to remove.

3M 8898 is ideal, in that sense (and is what some manufacturers actually repackaged), since it has a low-tack adhesive that is designed to remove cleanly.

How rude, no McMaster-Carr part #?

I've used part # 1781N11 which is 1" (25.4mm) wide, seems like a blue version of the Stan's tape, identical to what Pacenti sells.

Sorry, I forget not everyone uses McMaster. Industrial Supply House. https://www.mcmaster.com/

Basically they are Amazon for industrial supply. You can get raw metal, titanium bolts, garden hose, a mop bucket, a bicycle, tubeless tape and an autoclave in one order. And if you order by 11am it arrives by 3pm for $3 shipping.

Oh man... that may be where I need to look for pipes when I build out Will's ninja course this spring.

Sorry, I forget not everyone uses McMaster. Industrial Supply House. https://www.mcmaster.com/

Basically they are Amazon for industrial supply. You can get raw metal, titanium bolts, garden hose, a mop bucket, a bicycle, tubeless tape and an autoclave in one order. And if you order by 11am it arrives by 3pm for $3 shipping.
Not an engineering and knew about McMaster. I thought that was common knowledge?

Last edited:

So they actually tell you how much shipping will be before hand now?

So they actually tell you how much shipping will be before hand now?

They did not last time I ordered from them. Most of the time is reasonable. I got burned once, badly, when I ordered an aluminum sheet. The delivery truck showed up and demanded about $100 of extra shipping...

A very naive question #763: In a video(s) I watched on youtube people apply rim tape directly to the rim's metal (cleaned of any residue). Is that the correct way?

A very naive question #763: In a video(s) I watched on youtube people apply rim tape directly to the rim's metal (cleaned of any residue). Is that the correct way?
You’re setting these up tubeless, right? Then the answer is yes.
If you’re not setting them up tubeless, the answer is still yes, but also with an added “go watch a video on setting up tubeless tires”

Sorry, I did not make it clear: yes, I'm setting it tubeless. I applied tape to the rim, and it holds well. Air still escapes around the valve, but thats a different issue. Also, I think that I figured out what this "yellow tape that hugging the rim" from the original post is. When the previous owner converted the bike to tubeless, they did not remove the tube protector and just taped over it. Thats what I think at least..
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom