How sticky the rim tape should actually be?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry, I did not make it clear: yes, I'm setting it tubeless. I applied tape to the rim, and it holds well. Air still escapes around the valve, but thats a different issue. Also, I think that I figured out what this "yellow tape that hugging the rim" from the original post is. When the previous owner converted the bike to tubeless, they did not remove the tube protector and just taped over it. Thats what I think at least..
View attachment 113790View attachment 113791
You are correct. That's the strip you'll find in any non-tubeless wheel when running tubes so that the sharp edges on the spoke holes don't puncture the tube. You'll definitely want to remove this when taping the rim.

The rims you are going tubeless with, are they tubeless ready rims? Are you putting on tubeless ready tires? If not, you may have a tough time regardless as the tire may not fit as tight on the rim, non-tubeless bead, etc. These are some questions to answer first, as otherwise you may need to build up the bead of the rim with a thicker tape like Gorilla, ghetto tubeless split tube, etc.

michvin

So here is the full story. Last spring I got a used bike that from the factory came tubed, tubeless-ready. It was converted to tubeless by the previous owner and ran Chronicles tubeless without any major issue throughout the summer until now. I decided to get more aggressive tires and bought minions and additional set of rims. Original rims that came with the bike are getting minions and new (to me) rims will wear Chronicles.
I think that from tubeless ready perspective I'm good. Now on to eliminate this annoying valve air leak I'm having with the rear wheel (original bike rim with minion DHR). Front seem to hold air perfectly

ekuhn

If its leaking at the valve seat, push down on the valve stem from the inside of the rim to help seal rubber against the rim and tighten the nut on the stem. Little difficult if the tire is mounted up already, but maybe pushing the tire into it?

Sealant should take care of any small leaks from there.

Top Bottom