Things that make you frown :(

While edging the lawn with the line trimmer I hit a frog/toad and slung it about 20 feet. Sorry buddy. RIP.

while riding through the park today I saw a bunch of kids on MTB riding around in a dirt parking lot whooping it up on a day off from school.

Then I saw all of them were NOT wearing helmets. :thumbsdown:

I fell off the bike as a kid and hit my head several times (you may argue it shows and I wouldn't argue back), but I bought my first helmet when I started mountain biking, I wasn't even wearing it while commuting. Nobody pointed that out to me, ever. Same thing while skiing, the few 'geeks' that were wearing an helmet were either frown upon or laughed at. I know better now and always wear my helmet (I only forgot, twice on the same day, at NICA track building of all places and I was soon yelled at) but it still doesn't come natural to me. I think kids should be 'conditioned' to wear helmets from the beginning so they don't even have to think about wearing it, they would just do it.

I think in NJ you're required to wear a helmet if you are 17 or under. Now who is held liable if someone under 17 doesn't wear a helmet, I don't know. My kids have worn helmets since day one, and they've seen first hand what can happen even when you're wearing one.

I think in NJ you're required to wear a helmet if you are 17 or under. Now who is held liable if someone under 17 doesn't wear a helmet, I don't know. My kids have worn helmets since day one, and they've seen first hand what can happen even when you're wearing one.
You are correct about the law. The person who is liable is the parent, but it would just be a ticket.

My 12 year old, always wears his, but most of his friends don't. The only time I care is if it affects an access issue, but otherwise, people can make their own decision about protection or not.

There has been a shift with this in BMX after some high profile people will never be the same (most notable is Mike Aitkin in 2008). That being said, probably less than 1/4 of pro's wear helmets while riding street. Park and dirt is more socially acceptable.

I’m always surprised as the kids not wearing helmets and I mean kids under say 10. My son (7) always wears his.

Back
Top Bottom