OOS MOGA

Third is you ride at High Mt. on the single track all the time and technically thats fight club also. Only the fireroads are legit trails. So it's all hogwash, just ride the damn bike and have fun!!!! I'm out!
I maybe wrong but I also have the understanding that those are rogue trails.... altho, I vaguely remember someone telling that "most" were built with permission with NJ Trail Conference. I could be totally wrong on this.
However, mtb access in HM is 100% legal. Now if you are saying the situation at HM is the same as Mills... that is indeed hogwash.... your words.

Which is exactly the problem. There are to many gray areas when it comes to the legality of certain trails, or even certain parks themselves, for both riders, and law/park officers to discern where you are even allowed to ride. If the state/municipality cant provide adequate signage to indicate what's what, I'll take my chances. On the other hand, there are trails in my home park that are noted to be "hiker only" , and I do not ride them.

Last edited:
There is a crap ton of hypocrisy in this sport about trail usage, accessibility, and what constitutes right and wrong. I've seen the same guys who bitch about folks riding in bad conditions, have no qualms about participating in a race, at someone elses home park, during equally bad conditions. I'm sure all of us at sometime, have either intentionally, or inadvertently, ridden on trails we were not supposed to have been on, or in conditions that others might find unacceptable for usage at that current time. So me, I tend to not throw stones, use my own common scence, and live and let ride.

The same guy that rode here this past weekend?. I’m re posting the pics as the cat is out of the bag and can’t seem to get it to go back in. Anyone want to ride the Saddle River bike path later? Looking back, I fully regret that I posted the ride last weekend. If I knew this was gonna happen, I would have not said anything. Sorry everyone:

View attachment 103019View attachment 103020View attachment 103021View attachment 103022View attachment 103023
Apology accepted.. So- When's the next ride at Mills? :)

Me either. Thats sorta my point Vic. I dont think you did anything wrong by posting that ride, or ridding any of those trails. Point is, you're certainly not alone in having ridding them. Calling you, or anyone else out for it isnt what OOS, or mountain biking in general should be about. I'll say it again, live and let ride !

Because debates and in fighting ensued and consequently took the fun and simplicity out of it. Makes me question if I want to post rides any longer.
Victor.... there is no fighting.
At least not from me. Just expressing differences in opinions/views and others can take that and make a decision for themselves. We can agree to disagree... but that doesn't mean we are fight or arguing. I agree, sometimes, things can get heated but I don't think we are at that pt and I don't think it would. I have known all along that you guys are riding Mills and not once have I demeaned you or anyone else for doing so.

I did, however, suggested that you keep things on the DL which I thought was reasonable due to this being controversial.

According to @Mathers that ride just grazed Mills Reservation, and those features appear to be in Hilltop Reservation instead, which happens to be perfectly legal, as just last week there was a JORBA supported kid race there...sorry, but the 1% patch is still a no go, pirate's skull and bones will have to do for now! Maybe we can all ride RW then post the ride on Strava and call it 'Eagle Rock Reservation' to start a major riot!

Hilltop Reservation instead, which happens to be perfectly legal, as just last week there was a JORBA supported kid race there

Hilltop Reservation is also an Essex County park and is not legal to ride either. I assume they get a special permit for the kids race.

I don't think Hartshorne or Clayton is either... but still not understanding your pt.
Hart's, aka elevation central, is legal. Although there are a couple tiny non bike trails and there are some rogue trails. The park system are run by fascist super troopers, so you can get in abbit of trouble, espscially if you ride the farm (horsey) sode of huber.

Not weighing in on the argument, just clarifying my local trail rules.

Edit: I see you were specifically talking about JORBA. See fascist statement above.

You are totally wrong on this. But I wouldn't worry about it or stop riding there.
Speaking of HM.... NJNJTC site used to specifically say biking was allowed in HM
Went on the site today and looks like it has been revamped and I see nothing on there that says whether or not if its allowed.

Back
Top Bottom