Book of Paul H

How often should normal people bleed their brakes? I could google this but, you know...forums
when they stop stopping, really
I've never serviced them till they weren't doing their job. Usually for me it's 2 twice a year, I don't ride much so not the norm

I've never serviced them till they weren't doing their job. Usually for me it's 2 twice a year, I don't ride much so not the norm
I ride stock Tektro, so it's hard to tell. JK. It's definitely time to figure out how to service my gearing. Some ugly shifting going on there. I might take the shop up on their supposed "first time it starts shifting bad just bring it in" free service, even though I want to figure it out.

How often should normal people bleed their brakes? I could google this but, you know...forums

it is a closed system - i've never bled the hopes (after giving away the elixr 5s - cause they had an issue, opposite the sram)
what changes other than pad wear?

can pad wear be compensated for (change in bite point) with a bleed?

it is a closed system - i've never bled the hopes (after giving away the elixr 5s - cause they had an issue, opposite the sram)
what changes other than pad wear?

can pad wear be compensated for (change in bite point) with a bleed?
Theoretically you are correct, it is a closed system. Somehow dirt and moisture(and sometimes air) still gets in the system. Same as with cars and motorcycles(I guess anything with hydraulics), after a while it turns dark and gets compressible leading to a spongy feeling requiring a bleed/replacement of the fluid.

Theoretically you are correct, it is a closed system. Somehow dirt and moisture(and sometimes air) still gets in the system. Same as with cars and motorcycles(I guess anything with hydraulics), after a while it turns dark and gets compressible leading to a spongy feeling requiring a bleed/replacement of the fluid.
Same as car brakes, I believe that spongy brakes are an indication of some even slightly failure of some components (i.e a seal that dried out, damaged line etc.) as well as improper installation / bleeding which could eventually lead to component failure or fluid contamination.

One advantage of mineral oil is that it doesn't absorb as much moisture from the air as DO fluid does, otherwise even weather condition during the installation could result in fluid contamination if not handled correctly (i.e. you're not supposed to use a DOT fluid from a previously open bottle according to the instructions on the label).

One of the reasons I don't use SRAM is that they use DOT fluid which I always hated working with on car brakes (it's also corrosive to paint) and I can't have mismatched components...

Some good reading (well, I went through the bullet points) https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/dot-brake-fluid-vs-mineral-oil/

Heat cycles will have an effect on brake fluid over time,or if you ride the brakes. Shelf life of an open can/bottle of fluid is very limited, weeks not months. If there is air in the system you will get cavitation which will give you a different feel at the lever as the ride goes on due to inefficient heat transfer. New brakes will need time to mate to surfaces so expect your new brakes to work to they're potential for a little bit.

I am just about a year in on my bike only replaced the rear pads for the brakes and mine are Guides which aren't top of the line.
When I was into cars the saying was "stay stock stay happy".

So... Had 1 too many drinks last night so I was feeling lazy this morning. Went out to the garage to check on the RDO brakes and it felt nice and firm. Heck with another bleed and mounted them on the bike. WTF... its mush. I guess the position of the caliper matters. Reluctantly, take the caliper off the frame and bleed. Shit load of air comes out from the caliper end. Nice and firm but it's too firm! The lever feel from front to rear feels unbalanced! But at least it's working.

Oh.... of course during the process I guess a little oil got on the rotor because it's squealing like a pig. Just can't win.... :(

So... Had 1 too many drinks last night so I was feeling lazy this morning. Went out to the garage to check on the RDO brakes and it felt nice and firm. Heck with another bleed and mounted them on the bike. WTF... its mush. I guess the position of the caliper matters. Reluctantly, take the caliper off the frame and bleed. Shit load of air comes out from the caliper end. Nice and firm but it's too firm! The lever feel from front to rear feels unbalanced! But at least it's working.

Oh.... of course during the process I guess a little oil got on the rotor because it's squealing like a pig. Just can't win.... :(
Welcome too my world haha

My bike like an M-16:

IMG_20190412_124538.jpg

Your bike, broken vending machine

Back
Top Bottom