The Road to Somewhere

xc62701

So needless to say I've been a little tired since the race Saturday. I did get a little recover spin in Sunday but I took yesterday off because I felt like it. I tried mounting up some tires on the race bike last night which went horrible as I blew the same tire off the front rim twice. I got pissed off and then mounted the other tire I had on that rim and it held? The I put the tire that blew off on the rear rim and it held? Am I the only one this happens to? I swear some tires just don't like me. I kept waiting to hear a boom in the garage after I was all done but no. They seem to have held over night so that's a good thing.

The xc race bike feels like a damn feather compared to the fatbike and the long travel bike. I can't wait to ride on this thing as long as the tires stay on. I need to get ou and ride soon as my shoulders and arms were tired from the race. I need to shake that out before this weekend as it's only going to get worse with 7 mile descents.

xc62701

Here’s some pics of the crime scene in my garage. I took my race Cx wheels, converted the axles, and tried to throw Aspen’s on for the race this weekend. Sometimes tubeless can be so aggravating.
84DDC320-4A3A-4FDD-A915-2C865F89471D.jpeg
7FC52883-1A08-4F48-8E8A-82479DDFE294.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That would be stoopid. Those were the cx wheels on the xc bike before I changed the tires over. I kinda liked the look. Ultimate gravel bike.

It kinda looks like one of those meat heads that go to the gym but only work the upper body.

xc62701

It kinda looks like one of those meat heads that go to the gym but only work the upper body.

True. This would be an awesome for all the climbing I'll do this weekend but not so much for the descents. I'd rip a tire to shreds on the first downhill.

xc62701

I got out for a quick night ride yesterday to try out some of my new setup. With tires exploding off of my rims as I was mounting them I had zero confidence I would NOT be walking out of the woods. So with that in mind I wanted to see if that worked, see how my new oval ring felt and see if my cockpit was correct as I changed to a carbon bar recently.

The tires actually held! The worst part is that that front tire that was blowing off wasn't fully seated and I've been trying to get the bead to pop in correctly. I was hoping the ride would do it without trying to inflate it more as that could blow it off the rim. Good news - the ride did the trick fully seated and I didn't have any tire issues! The oval ring felt funny to start. You can definitely feel the effects of the change in torque to start but as the ride went on I couldn't feel the difference. It did seem to be beneficial so we'll see this weekend how it feels with a long effort on it. For the bars they were good but the shifter needs to be moved a touch. It's rubbing my thumb so that's an easy fix. Of course I didn't have the tool with the torx bit on it to correct it on the trail.

Overall the ride was short but good. I do have to say one thing. I've been riding my fatty and trail bike mostly. Jumping back on the epic I was amazed with how light and twitchy that bike is. I now see the difference of why a race bike is beneficial. This thing can rip. Now if only I can get in shape to push it like it was meant to be ridden. Cookies and ice cream are awesome though...

xc62701

I’m got to ride yesterday after work and again last night. The bike is feeling good but the legs are not that snappy. Whether it’s still some nagging sickness hanging in or some fatigue from last weekend, I’m hoping I can find some juice for the race on Saturday.

I’ve been eating well and shedding a few pounds so it’s a start. I still won’t be light or super fit for the weekend. I’m going to race as much as I can and treat it as a hard training day. Last year I finished in 5:58. I’d be happy if I can make any improvement on that. It’s 4 main climbs that add up to almost 10,000 feet of climbing so I just need to ride steady and not go too hard. I remember being cracked for a bunch of the race last time so who knows how this may go. Fingers crossed for a decent time.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m got to ride yesterday after work and again last night. The bike is feeling good but the legs are not that snappy. Whether it’s still some nagging sickness hanging in or some fatigue from last weekend, I’m hoping I can find some juice for the race on Saturday.

I’ve been eating well and shedding a few pounds so it’s a start. I still won’t be light or super fit for the weekend. I’m going to race as much as I can and treat it as a hard training day. Last year I finished in 5:58. I’d be happy if I can make any improvement on that. It’s 4 main climbs that add up to almost 10,000 feet of climbing so I just need to ride steady and not go too hard. I remember being cracked for a bunch of the race last time so who knows how this may go. Fingers crossed for a decent time.
Good Luck Ryan. And @Dave Taylor ...he's in on this one too right? At least it looks to be somewhat warm for this one.

RNG1

Hey Ryan, congrats on all the good life and bike stuff. I’ve been trying to get caught up around here after being in the witness protection program for like 5 years and have been skimming through. I choked on my soup however a few posts back, is this really chrisG? I didn’t realize he was in the program as well ;)
58742A1D-E7B8-408B-9351-1286BA45D85E.jpeg

xc62701

Hey Ryan, congrats on all the good life and bike stuff. I’ve been trying to get caught up around here after being in the witness protection program for like 5 years and have been skimming through. I choked on my soup however a few posts back, is this really chrisG? I didn’t realize he was in the program as well ;)
View attachment 91517

Thanks! and yes that is @ChrisG . I think he's in the @jimvreeland witness relocation program. Or santa claus? Not quite sure but yup!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I choked on my soup however a few posts back, is this really chrisG? I didn’t realize he was in the program as wel
See what happens when you're not in the loop? That's my aging hipster disguise. Or maybe I'm an actual aging hipster?

Good luck this weekend Ryan!

Top Bottom