DIY spinoff - tools thread

rlb

I did read through some debates on pin vs ring, seems the consensus is pin will be safer (less likely to lose a socket) but ring is easier to change. Since this will mostly see lug nut duty I went with the pin. Plus the ring version was $40 more.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i agree that pin is much more secure, but it can be a REAL bitch to get the sockets off . . .

jnos

Looking to get a cordless 1/2 impact gun. I've invested in the Dewalt 20v stuff so that's where I'm staying. Anyone have either of these?

The second one is a behemoth that weighs as much as a brick. This will mostly be used for tire rotations and car repairs, so I'm wondering if I'd miss the extra power if I went with the lighter/easier to handle tool. On the other hand, I feel like an impact gun is a "go big or go home" kind of tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...-Detent-Pin-Anvil-Tool-Only-DCF894B/304050995
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...-Detent-Pin-Anvil-Tool-Only-DCF899B/206159781

If it helps make the decision, Tool Nut has the bigger one for $200.
https://www.toolnut.com/dewalt-dcf8...hless-detent-pin-impact-wrench-bare-tool.html

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bet my brother could stop it! He blew a 20 amp breaker and caught the plywood on fire trying to make a dog house.

you can fix stupid man, but it sounds like he came close to reducing the available supply . . .

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i have a gun with a socket stuck on it. one of these days i'm going to find a way to press if off.

i purchased a battery side grinder - another very convenient tool.

always wondered why they don't have a cord option for battery tools?
maybe they aren't made for the service cycle of full on power?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a gun with a socket stuck on it. one of these days i'm going to find a way to press if off.

ac/dc inverters that can handle the kind of current draw you need to run tools are NOT cheap, or easy to manufacture in a regulated fashion, my guess is cost, plus you wont sell as many batteries if you make it easy to plug in for heavier work.

bring that gun over sometime i have a nice ford wrench and a vice, im sure we can get it off!

serviceguy

Because then you’ll need to buy only one tool instead of two..j/k

For the stuck socket I would use a bearing splitter.

What grinder did you get? I’ve a dewalt 60v and love it except for the reduced range of available disk (only up to 6 1/2, but I have a trick up my sleeve that may get me to 7 1/2).

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Because then you’ll need to buy only one tool instead of two..j/k

What grinder did you get? I’ve a dewalt 60v and love it except for the reduced range of available disk (only up to 6 1/2, but I have a trick up my sleeve that may get me to 7 1/2).

ryobi 5.5" 18v - mostly tile and cut-off work. my makita stb

it is an angle grinder, not a disk grinder(angle sander?)

and yeah, i may use it to cut the socket off the impact gun - should i cut the socket or the gun? :D

serviceguy

ryobi 5.5" 18v - mostly tile and cut-off work. my makita stb

it is an angle grinder, not a disk grinder(angle sander?)

and yeah, i may use it to cut the socket off the impact gun - should i cut the socket or the gun? :D
What’s the difference ? I may have a brain fart but isn’t it the same?

How did the socket get jammed? I would try to hold the socket in a vice and spin the gun in the direction opposite to the one that jammed it. The possibility for bodily harm are endless! I did drill through the palm of my left hand while ‘customizing’ a socket, how I managed not to cause permanent damage is beyond my understanding!

I would still try this

https://m.harborfreight.com/large-bearing-separator-3979.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Missing s good old tool thread, let’s keep it rolling! Oh yeah!

I would

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
What’s the difference ? I may have a brain fart but isn’t it the same?

How did the socket get jammed? I would try to hold the socket in a vice and spin the gun in the direction opposite to the one that jammed it. The possibility for bodily harm are endless! I did drill through the palm of my left hand while ‘customizing’ a socket, how I manage not to cause permanent damage is beyond my understanding!

Missing s good old tool thread, let’s keep it rolling! Oh yeah!

I would

i use one type of grinder doing bodywork - think it has a 7.5" disk, and is not meant for any type of cutting a channel. soft back plate, and griding disc (or polishing pad)
the other is made for cutting into shit.

i guess with the right wheel, the larger one could do the cut-off work....??? never thought about it.

serviceguy

i use one type of grinder doing bodywork - think it has a 7.5" disk, and is not meant for any type of cutting a channel. soft back plate, and griding disc (or polishing pad)
the other is made for cutting into shit.

i guess with the right wheel, the larger one could do the cut-off work....??? never thought about it.

A polisher then? May have something to do with max rpm and torque...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I have a bosch IDH182 its got maybe 120lbs of torque, if I need more I get air, but I reach more often for a torque multiplier and 1 inch socket set since I don't have to wait for my compressor to get going. I had an issue cracking sockets(matco impacts) so I figured I needed to step up to something a little bit more scoocum

Top Bottom