Edge 1000

GratefulRider

Anyone care to share their experiences with the Garmin Edge 1000?

I'm primarily interested in filling three shortcomings of my 500.

1. Wireless upload to TrainingPeaks and Strava
2. Easy to use and follow course/map (create road loops, upload race courses, etc).
3. View my position on a course elevation profile.

Thanks-

2. Easy to use and follow course/map (create road loops, upload race courses, etc).

Thanks-

The position on the course elevation profile works on the 500 but I am not sure how to get it to work, so super helpful.

The routes are created via garmin connect and very easy to transfer, you intend to use the device to create the routes?

The 510 and 810 have wireless upload, but i think garmin only interacts with connect since it is its own product. The 1000 is probably way overkill for the things you are asking about

Thanks-

All three of your isues are covered on the 510.

I have a 510 and it seems to have some bugs. The most notable being the Garmin Connect App. It sucks. Phone and GPS won't sync via Bluetooth, at least not over the last couple of months. I'm sure there's some sort of fix, but I haven't dealt with it yet. Also the unit isn't recognized by Strava when connected using the USB, so I have to export from Garmin Connect, which I didn't mind so much when the app worked, but now it's a pain in the ass, albeit minor.

The unit itself is nice, like the touch screen and all, but the wireless transfer function has been frustrating to say the least. I actually miss my old 305.

I have a 510 and it seems to have some bugs. The most notable being the Garmin Connect App. It sucks. Phone and GPS won't sync via Bluetooth, at least not over the last couple of months. I'm sure there's some sort of fix, but I haven't dealt with it yet. Also the unit isn't recognized by Strava when connected using the USB, so I have to export from Garmin Connect, which I didn't mind so much when the app worked, but now it's a pain in the ass, albeit minor.

The unit itself is nice, like the touch screen and all, but the wireless transfer function has been frustrating to say the least. I actually miss my old 305.

I've had a few issues with the wireless transfer function, but I think it's more of a problem with my phone -- if the connection is weak (which it always is because I have AT&T), the sync starts but then fails. If I have a strong signal on the phone, I don't have any issues. My sync always works if I'm in Blue Marsh or Fair Hill, where I'm in the open, but it almost never works in Wiss. So I just connect it to my laptop when I get home. I dont' use Strava, so I don't worry about that.

Have you all tried the new "modern" plug-in for Garmin Connect? I love it --automatic uploads as soon as you open the site.

Have you all tried the new "modern" plug-in for Garmin Connect? I love it --automatic uploads as soon as you open the site.

Garmin express uploads as soon as I plug the unit in, dont even have to have a browser open.

What's the real benefit of wireless upload? I ask this in conjunction with the idea that I charge the GPS after every ride. I plug it in anyway, so I really could care less if it uploads wirelessly.

What's the real benefit of wireless upload? I ask this in conjunction with the idea that I charge the GPS after every ride. I plug it in anyway, so I really could care less if it uploads wirelessly.

It's not as big a deal anymore, I guess, since the uploads are much faster. But I liked the wireless upload when I would be away from home for a while. For example, I first used it when I was up in VT for a few days. I didn't have my laptop, and I rode 5 days in a row for several hours at a time. If I hadn't been able to upload each ride at the time, it would have taken a while for all of them to transfer when I got home. It's just more of a convenience thing in situations like. But if you can upload after each ride, then yeah, it's not much of an added feature.

Ok, the idea of being away without a laptop...just so foreign to me. I mean, they literally installed wireless on the moon.

As a side note, I upload to everything/anything from a file. I don't use Garmin Overlord (whatever) that takes forever. I pick each file daily and I'm done with it. I do sometimes backfill my TP account with their tool, but not that often.

For me there are significant benefits to the wireless upload.

1. It would save me 3 minutes every morning.

2. Uploading my Garmin is the only thing my laptop has been used for in the last 6 months.
So with a wireless upload, I could store my laptop with my printer and all the other crap we never use.

I used to say I wanted wireless upload, but I plug it in to charge anyways, so I used that feature once with my 510, not to mention you have to have bluetooth on for it to work

My ipad has replaced my laptop for everything but uploading my garmin. Is there a way to upload my garmin to TPs and Strava via my iPad?

Bluetooth isn't an issue b/c you can leave that turned on.

On a typical 2hr morning ride with all my bells and whistles synced up, I only use about 10% of the charge, so I'd easily get away with a few days. And then I'd use the wall outlet.

Maybe I'll just start reading DC Rainmaker...

USB to ios? Good luck. You can plug a Garmin into an android device though and manually upload it.

My next laptop will be a windows surface tablet

If the iPad could do useful enough things, you wouldn't need a MacBook Pro to surf Facebook. They are protecting the irony bread and butter

I have a surface and let it collect dust for a year. I just started using it as a tablet and although it still needs much refinements, I find myself running to the computer far less than with an ipad or android. That is the most annoying thing about tablets and just that facet alone sold me on windoze tablet.

Back
Top Bottom