Commuting to NYC

gerard

I am looking for a place to buy but the main problem is that I work in the city and need to find a place in an area that is a good commute to the city. I am in belleville now and its not a bad commute but I was wondering what other areas may be good. I want to try and keep the commute to about an hour....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where in the city? If you're just looking to get to midtown the express lines from Basking Ridge or even Morristown can do that.

walter

Fourth Party
Are you looking to drive yourself or use mass transit? in Middlesex county, south amboy has trains and ferry service, you can see nyc right across the bay. My wife works in manhatten occasionally and the bus ride is less than an hour. Train is about the same, the ferry is quicker from what I here.

K

klutch

hey brother,i'm in bloomfield and 2 days ago i was driving around nutley and almost every house in the town is for sale. Blommfield is not bad either but just get one in the north end which is by Brookdale park and then all the surrounding towns are nice too.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you know it can take you an hour to get to work from HOBOKEN right?

but, if you are calling your "commute" from the point you leave/get on mass transit to the point you hit the tunnel or get to the other side, you have quite a few "one hour" options. there are so many factors that come into play with this that it's almost impossible to give a good answer. case in point: i'm in succasunna and when i go into the city it usually take me "about an hour". i'm close to mass transit (howard blvd park & ride) and i have the luxury to go in at non rush hour times. however, when i come home it can take me much longer b/c it's a peak time.

discuss.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Midtown direct from Dover sucks but I still think you should move to Morris County. If anyone actually cares, Dover is overhauling their parking soon and they are talking about a new parking garage.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting, I just realized that my train line has only the 3 stops in my town in Morris county. After me it's Basking Ridge (whatever country, somerset?) and before me it's Berkeley Heights (Union).

walter

Fourth Party
Interesting, I just realized that my train line has only the 3 stops in my town in Morris county. After me it's Basking Ridge (whatever country, somerset?) and before me it's Berkeley Heights (Union).

Where is the station by you, it isnt on Division street is it?? or is it more towards stirling?? actually, it may be in stirling right?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Impressive direction knowledge. My closest station is on Division but I end up going to Stirling because you park on the side of the train you get in on. In Millington itself if you're running late you end up standing on the wrong side of the train like a tool. I've seen people walk under the train while it's in the station but work just isn't that important to me.

walter

Fourth Party
My mind is like a freakin atlas. Down here in south amboy its the same story. 3 or 4 sets of tracks with trains coming and going in both directions, over the years there has been a few fatalities when people were running late and instead of using the walkway to go over the tracks, they go running across the tracks to get to a waiting train, only to be smooshed by one coming the opposite direction.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Then you'll like road biking even more. At this point, it's almost impossible for me to get lost in most of this state.
Absolutely. There's no way to learn roads like riding them on a bike.

What gets to be even more fun is developing the uncanny ability to put together loops that will have you at your destination within 1 minute +/- of the desired ETA. I often ride out of my house on the road bike and meet my wife somewhere on the road for lunch and this ability comes in handy.

TonyC

There are tons of places to live in Jersey within an hour to NYC. Now if you add factors such as good school systems, lower taxes, nice neighborhoods then you'll most likely go over the hour mark.

gerard

Midtown direct from Dover sucks but I still think you should move to Morris County. If anyone actually cares, Dover is overhauling their parking soon and they are talking about a new parking garage.
It took you 2 hours door to door from dover.. That blows. yeah the commute to me is door to door... I was looking at a condo that was right by the 192 bus which was nice..

gerard

There are tons of places to live in Jersey within an hour to NYC. Now if you add factors such as good school systems, lower taxes, nice neighborhoods then you'll most likely go over the hour mark.
yeah I know but I can't afford half of them and I dont want to live in the ghetto :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You could always live on the train. Failing that I think you need to look for something like Murray Hill, where you could literally wait for the train horn to leave the apartment. Might need to run though, which would sort of put a hamper on the wearing of a sombrero.

walter

Fourth Party
depending on your budget, South Amboy has million dollar homes and half mil townhouses within walking distance to both train and ferry, all brand new, alot of local watering holes, and a brand new waterfront county park

Shaggz

A strong 7
I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning, but if you are looking to rent, Westwood is real nice. My wife (GF at the time), had a great garden apartment right near the train platform. about 40 mins to hobo, and another 20 or so via path to nyc. moot point if you are looking to buy.

Top Bottom