This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Well, I had a pretty good run of avoiding COVID until last week. My wife was sick the week prior, took multiple rapid tests, all negative. Went to urgent care and got put on antibiotics for ear/sinus infection. I then came down with a brutal fever a few days later, rapid test negative, and with her experience I was pretty confident that it wasn't COVID. Fever the first day hit nearly 103 and then hovered between 100 and 101 for another 4-5 days before I finally went to urgent care as well where I tested positive.

Now 8 days in and I'm down to a fairly brutal cough, but otherwise feel like I'm at least 75% recovered with no real shortness of breath or anything, just general fatigue. I figure I'll give it another day or two before returning to low level exercise.

As an aside, it seems hard to imagine that my wife didn't have it, and she went on to run 91 miles in 24 hours this past weekend, so I'll likely always be the wimp of the household.

Well, I had a pretty good run of avoiding COVID until last week. My wife was sick the week prior, took multiple rapid tests, all negative. Went to urgent care and got put on antibiotics for ear/sinus infection. I then came down with a brutal fever a few days later, rapid test negative, and with her experience I was pretty confident that it wasn't COVID. Fever the first day hit nearly 103 and then hovered between 100 and 101 for another 4-5 days before I finally went to urgent care as well where I tested positive.

Now 8 days in and I'm down to a fairly brutal cough, but otherwise feel like I'm at least 75% recovered with no real shortness of breath or anything, just general fatigue. I figure I'll give it another day or two before returning to low level exercise.

As an aside, it seems hard to imagine that my wife didn't have it, and she went on to run 91 miles in 24 hours this past weekend, so I'll likely always be the wimp of the household.

Good luck, sounds like you got hit pretty hard. It's so weird how one person gets the sniffles, and the next get out of bed for a week?

I was with a coworker for 5 days a fee months ago at a trade show, he came down with it, and was really sick. I tested every other day for 2 weeks, never got it. Very strange. The only difference is, I had 2 boosters, he only had one. I got mine the week before the trade show on purpose. I have no idea if that made any difference.

You could call her a wimp for not running the extra 9 miles to get to 100.

You probably shouldn't though. :)

I assume NJ Trail Series?

My q is why would these not be evenly distributed over the vax status question?
(@jmanic, is that chi sq analysis?)
Sorry I’m just seeing this now- pretty sure I was on a plane to Berlin where I completely checked out.

Treating vax status as an outcome, you’d be looking at chi-sq if you were comparing to categorical variables.
More informative would be multivariate logistic regression, because life is more complex than bivariate associations can describe.

But to the question of those rates (or any worth their salt), digging in the notes I wouldn’t be surprised if you find those rates are adjusted for important covariates like Bikeworks notes (age, comorbidities, etc). To get a clear picture you need to account for other relevant factors.

You could call her a wimp for not running the extra 9 miles to get to 100.

You probably shouldn't though. :)

I assume NJ Trail Series?

Yeah, all things considered, 91 seemed pretty good :)

She's done over 100 in the past and, yes NJ Trail Series. She does the fall and spring Sussex County Fairgrounds races (and a few others) basically every year.

If she had it, and didn't know it, you took a huge initial load of virus.

Glad to hear you are on the road back. Take it slow, recommendation was go easy on the cardio.

If your wife had a fever too for at least one day, she had covid as well. The rapid tests aren't that great, especially with the latest variants, and the directions have to be followed exactly. My covid in june was basically a fever for a little over a day, then just really bad congestion. Never got a cough. But the congestion turned into a sinus infection a week later. It self-resolved - I try to avoid antibiotics if possible.

She'd had an exposure from a patient at work and did have a mild fever for a bit, so I'm sure that she did have COVID. I'd completely forgotten that she told me about the exposure, mostly because that's seemingly lost any real significance these days. Also unsurprised that the 3 or 4 rapid tests between the two of us didn't pick anything up. Like you said, the false negative rate seems to be pretty high. If I'd been paying better attention I would have done more to quarantine from her, which we did successfully when she got it in the early days of COVID, but here we are.

interesting observation in this article.
since C19 predominately affects people over reproductive age,
there is no "next generation" immunity effect.

interesting observation in this article.
since C19 predominately affects people over reproductive age,
there is no "next generation" immunity effect.

Covid "affects" people of all ages. The point of the article was that it kills primarily those who are above reproduction age. Like all influenza.

Covid "affects" people of all ages. The point of the article was that it kills primarily those who are above reproduction age. Like all influenza.
Meaning kills. So no inherited genetic immunity like the black plague (if you lived to reproduce, offspring have a good chance)
Unless we find that c19 influences reproduction in a genetic sense. It has probably had a psycho-socio effect.

And I still cat figure out affect and effect. Even when the grammar corrector ages.

Since this popped up, I think I have some form of long COVID.

When exercising, my HR has been about 10-15 beats low since I had COVID in July. It's exactly like my heart behaves when I'm overtrained. To put numbers to it, I think the highest I've seen since July was 175 or so after a long max effort that would have netted 183 or 184. On a hard MTB ride, it would not be unusual to see 170s for long periods with peaks of 180+. 155 is the new 170 for me and I'm constantly surprised at my power/perceived effort vs HR when I'm on the road.

I just now googled it. This is a thing.

Since this popped up, I think I have some form of long COVID.

When exercising, my HR has been about 10-15 beats low since I had COVID in July. It's exactly like my heart behaves when I'm overtrained. To put numbers to it, I think the highest I've seen since July was 175 or so after a long max effort that would have netted 183 or 184. On a hard MTB ride, it would not be unusual to see 170s for long periods with peaks of 180+. 155 is the new 170 for me and I'm constantly surprised at my power/perceived effort vs HR when I'm on the road.

I just now googled it. This is a thing.

How severe were your symptoms? I don't look at heartrate very often cycling but running on the treadmill I do. I haven't noticed any difference after my bout with covid in June. It was very mild tho

How severe were your symptoms? I don't look at heartrate very often cycling but running on the treadmill I do. I haven't noticed any difference after my bout with covid in June. It was very mild tho

It was the worst head cold I can recall experiencing. I had to take a couple days off because I couldn't brain. The cough stayed with me for about a month.

Never any shortness of breath though and none now. I did a video consult and got a few meds for the symptoms (which I can't recall). Not paxlovid.

It was the worst head cold I can recall experiencing. I had to take a couple days off because I couldn't brain. The cough stayed with me for about a month.

Never any shortness of breath though and none now. I did a video consult and got a few meds for the symptoms (which I can't recall). Not paxlovid.
Wife and I got about a month ago. Took almost 2 weeks to test negative and was as you described, worst head cold you'd ever want. I'm still feeling wiped out and weak and wife still has residual cough. I'm not sure where the line blurs between post covid and seasonal allergies, or even just being 62 years old, but I'm hoping to get some energy back soon. Really have to push to get things done. Feels like when I moved up to cat 1 and after 2 laps realized had 1 more to go!

Back
Top Bottom