The Guitar Player Thread.

Found this thing for a steal on FB. Neck was off and needed a setup bad. Being my son stole my RG this will do for the days I want oldskool metal.
Found this at a flea market for $20. 2001 PRS Santana SE. It was painted with a brush and had expletives carved into it. I just restrung it, tightened the tuners and did some sanding and custom stickering. A nice punk rock machine now. I don't think the pickups are original. Not sure what they are but they sound good. Best flea market deal I ever found.
Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg

Anyone here play (gasp) bass? Or should I start a new thread?

I'm a complete beginner. Picked up a Fender P bass from a friend about a week ago and I've been playing around with it. Pretty fun so far, mostly working on basic exercises and trying to get a consistent sound. I've just been using a headphone amp, but I have a small practice amp (Rumble LT25) arriving tomorrow.

I'm a complete beginner. Picked up a Fender P bass from a friend about a week ago and I've been playing around with it. Pretty fun so far, mostly working on basic exercises and trying to get a consistent sound. I've just been using a headphone amp, but I have a small practice amp (Rumble LT25) arriving tomorrow.

I do. Pick up the tab book for Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon. Great songs really easy to play even for a beginner. Not my bass but I have the same one, Warwick Corvette Double Buck:

warwick-corvette-4-850496.jpg

I do. Pick up the tab book for Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon. Great songs really easy to play even for a beginner. Not my bass but I have the same one, Warwick Corvette Double Buck:

Thanks, maybe I'll check that out. That bass looks sweet. I know zero about bass/guitar. I've had a decent amount of music theory and played drums/percussion for quite a few years, but anything with strings is a total mystery.

I'm trying to fight off the effects of aging on the brain and planning on getting an acoustic guitar to learn how to play. Btw I'll be playing lefty.

So after lots of reviews I've narrowed down to the left handed version of Yamaha fs800 or the Ibanez aw 54 opn.

Any pros or cons to either? I'm leaning towards the Ibanez. Both have low action ive read.

From you tube this is what I've gathered:

Better to practice once a day then once every week.
Get a metronome and play slowly
There's a learning curve and my fingers are going to hurt. Speaking of which I have short stubby fingers
.Get a guitar stand.

Any other suggestions?

Definitely get a stand or wall hanger you'll be more likely to pick it up and play daily than if you had to drag it out of a case all the time. Also learn the notes on the fretboard and how chords/scales are made from them don't just learn basic chord shapes. That's a mistake I made when I first started and now I'm paying the price trying to learn/figure it all out now when I just want to play.

I'm trying to fight off the effects of aging on the brain and planning on getting an acoustic guitar to learn how to play. Btw I'll be playing lefty.

So after lots of reviews I've narrowed down to the left handed version of Yamaha fs800 or the Ibanez aw 54 opn.

Any pros or cons to either? I'm leaning towards the Ibanez. Both have low action ive read.

There's a learning curve and my fingers are going to hurt. Speaking of which I have short stubby fingers
.Get a guitar stand.

Any other suggestions?

We have 2 Yamaha Acoustics. I think they're the best bang for the buck. We bought a Takamine recently and I don't feel like it's any better for the extra few hundred bucks, but my son wanted it so I bought it.

Also 100% true about having a stand. I keep a rack of guitars right next to my desk and a practice amp under it. It's impossible to sit there and not pick up one of the guitars. My son keeps 2 stands and a bunch of wall hooks for his guitars in his room so it's the same thing. He'll noodle even when he's playing video games and the screen is loading.

I traded my V into Guitar Center. They didn't give me a lot for it buy you get 10% off anything you buy so I ordered a new Whammy Pedal, bought a pile of strings, and dropped off the Talman for a rewire and Killswitch install. I didn't make out, but it kinda feels like I did.

.Get a guitar stand.

Any other suggestions?
Yamaha all the way. They make outstanding instruments, and that fs800 sounds great and only a couple hundred bucks. Ibanez acoustics are meh, they look cool, but they sound thin.
Practice dexterity of your fingers by playing four frets on each string one by one with your four fingers. Do it slow until each note is clean and clear, and then you can work on speeding it up. That'll get your fingers used to moving around and build strength and callous your fingertips. It'll hurt at first, but just push through.

I play bass as well. Its pretty fun to play, yeah keep those exercises up and get that constant sound. I normally play an Ibanez SR505 - it's a 5 string mahogany bass with bubinga neck, dual humbuckers and bertsomethingorother electronics.

Yamaha all the way. They make outstanding instruments, and that fs800 sounds great and only a couple hundred bucks. Ibanez acoustics are meh, they look cool, but they sound thin.
Practice dexterity of your fingers by playing four frets on each string one by one with your four fingers. Do it slow until each note is clean and clear, and then you can work on speeding it up. That'll get your fingers used to moving around and build strength and callous your fingertips. It'll hurt at first, but just push through.
So rack, Yamaha and this exccersizes!! Thanks.

Edit word.

Last edited:
Bassist here. Been playing for decades. Always happy to share tips.

Sure. Where the heck do I start? :)

I've been figuring out some tabs online, followed a few YouTube examples, and I've been doing the "spider" exercise to get the hands working, but I think I'll soon need a bit more structure so that I'm not just half trying something and moving on to a different exercise. Books? At some point I'll probably start some lessons but I usually like to learn a bit before seeking instruction.

Sure. Where the heck do I start? :)

I've been figuring out some tabs online, followed a few YouTube examples, and I've been doing the "spider" exercise to get the hands working, but I think I'll soon need a bit more structure so that I'm not just half trying something and moving on to a different exercise. Books? At some point I'll probably start some lessons but I usually like to learn a bit before seeking instruction.
First thing I would do is learn a few of your favorite songs. Have some fun with it first. Exercises can wait. Proper technique I would read up on while learning some songs.

I have a ton of books. Do you want TAB or traditional notation, or both?

First thing I would do is learn a few of your favorite songs. Have some fun with it first. Exercises can wait. Proper technique I would read up on while learning some songs.

I have a ton of books. Do you want TAB or traditional notation, or both?

Absolutely, definitely focusing on having fun with it.

I'm starting to get used to reading tabs but I'm still more used to traditional notation, just haven't committed to learn what notes map where yet.

Not sure if it was the right way or not, but I spent from maybe 14-16ish just learning how to play songs I liked. Techniques just sort of fell into place with each song I learned. The band I was in at the time started to write out own material and it was at that point I started taking lessons and learning theory. That part never goes away, there's so much to learn if you really want to. Taking lessons from Angel cleared up a lot of that stuff just having someone make sense of the book part of it. I'm a visual learner so almost nothing I read sticks. Show me it and it's in there for life.

Back
Top Bottom