Dickerson Mine Preserve Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Trails were good this afternoon. No mud except for a couple spots but the rocks were slick. Didn't try stream crossing trail. Tree down on blue right before the "U" tree you ride thru. New bridge is sweet.

3MTA3

@gmb3 I was out there today with a group from Marty’s and we were able to clear the tree. Agree, rock were a bit slick and lots of turns were a bit slippery. Got a downpour after we were done while hanging out in the shop parking lot.

FYI - We’ve been doing a Wednesday evening ride at 6:00 starting from Marty’s, rolling out around 6:10. Intermediate pace. All are welcome.
16ED1B24-B6A2-4BB5-873D-CB04F3498F35.jpeg
179948BE-50D5-4E88-871F-308C16F53E80.jpeg
9524A954-7DEA-4057-8141-195333B7AB50.jpeg

TommyF

Great ride yesterday afternoon, however there's a big rock right at the entrance by the gravel lot. Not sure who put it there, but if you're coming down the fire road at a fast pace, that rock is dangerous. If it was put there to deter moto's they will ride right over it as we did entering the park.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Great ride yesterday afternoon, however there's a big rock right at the entrance by the gravel lot. Not sure who put it there, but if you're coming down the fire road at a fast pace, that rock is dangerous. If it was put there to deter moto's they will ride right over it as we did entering the park.
That rock has been there since the gate was put in close to 8 years ago. There are plans to make some enhancements to that parking lot and replacements for the rocks are being discussed. The motos can get in pretty much anywhere they want. The rocks were to keep out the cars and trucks that were driving up the road and dumping. For a few years we had people dumping all sorts of construction waste there from roofing shingles to old appliances.

Trail sabotage like this will eventually cause a lawsuit when someone gets hurt.

TommyF

That rock has been there since the gate was put in close to 8 years ago. There are plans to make some enhancements to that parking lot and replacements for the rocks are being discussed. The motos can get in pretty much anywhere they want. The rocks were to keep out the cars and trucks that were driving up the road and dumping. For a few years we had people dumping all sorts of construction waste there from roofing shingles to old appliances.
The rock I'm talking about is directly in the path of the trail, to the right of the gate going in. It was never there before and is directly in the trail path blocking the entrance way to the right of the gate. Easy enough to ride over going in, but could be an issue if somebody is bombing down that path heading to the lot. Might run up on my lunch hour and snap a picture.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The rock I'm talking about is directly in the path of the trail, to the right of the gate going in. It was never there before and is directly in the trail path blocking the entrance way to the right of the gate. Easy enough to ride over going in, but could be an issue if somebody is bombing down that path heading to the lot. Might run up on my lunch hour and snap a picture.

I know the rock, it is where it was originally placed and gets moved like every other week. It's ineffective in its purpose but my guess is based on your feedback you won't like the solution being proposed for there. My advice is ride in control. The very nature of mountain biking brings us on technical features and ever changing trails. You have a solid 50+ yards line of sight on that rock so if we are riding in control and paying attention, it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it is where it was originally placed and get's moved like every other week.
Yea, it has been moved a lot, and I’m always thinking “who cares that much to move a 200lb rock...” I used to nose bonk over it coming down like I would any log over or whatever... like you said that’s mountain biking!

Not trail sabotage. See above.
When someone gets hurt on something intentionally placed it will become an issue in the litigious state of New Jersey. It will become a "who put that there ?" item. I agree that people have to slow down and pay attention, but once a person is home laid up from an injury, litigation becomes palatable. It has been all downhill after that hot cup of coffee at McDonalds turned into a $3 Million lawsuit.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When someone gets hurt on something intentionally placed it will become an issue in the litigious state of New Jersey
The rock was intentionally placed to supplement the gate. By your argument, the gate is now a liability. In fact, mountain biking in general is now a liability. Let’s all follow Essex county and just shut it down for good. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Cassinonorth

When someone gets hurt on something intentionally placed it will become an issue in the litigious state of New Jersey. It will become a "who put that there ?" item. I agree that people have to slow down and pay attention, but once a person is home laid up from an injury, litigation becomes palatable. It has been all downhill after that hot cup of coffee at McDonalds turned into a $3 Million lawsuit.

A rock is something a mountain biker should be able to avoid and expect while riding. Rocks are placed intentionally on trails all over the state.

This is why we can’t have nice things.
I don't disagree. I am merely saying that the legal beagles will go right to the Mine Hill website , grab the Dickerson map looking for a responsible party. And while Mine Hill and Jorba pockets are not as deep as if it happened on State Park or Federal Park land, it can still become a thing.
Like you said " "This is why we can't have nice things"

It is why people are afraid to do things for fear of liability.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions