Dickerson Mine Preserve Conditions

ebarker9

Good conditions this afternoon. Lots of people out. Two exceptions would be some muddy spots at the top of the the new offshoot from yellow and a few spots in the "creek" trail which is usually muddy. There's also a tree across the white trail at about waist height just north of where there's the little connector to blue. Not large, but a bit of a hazard on a descent...I tried to get it off the trail but didn't have a saw with me. Should be easy to take care of.

jpn

Got in Saturday from 630 to dark. Beautiful sunset.

Went in from Canfield gate and went down white. Stream crossing was passable and then hit 3-4 muddy spots before crossed stream again.

Went up white and did a loop on blue. Everything else was dry and firm.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Few trees still down on new yellow but someone placed some rocks at them so it’s all easily rideable.

Creek crossing trail is in really bad shape and should be avoided. Almost always skip it dunno why I made that turn today...

All the main trails are PRIME tho. The two doubles leading into blue got some recent Botox in the lips, I see... I hit the step down into the road like 6 times haha.

xc62701

A friend and I plan on riding Saturday at Mine Hill. Anyone able to comment on this loop or recommended loop ?

https://www.trailforks.com/routepopular/11615428/
Looks like a decent loop. You could also add the loop closer to route 10 as well. That's the remembering Marty trail. It's pretty mild tech wise and has some little berms and bumps. You missed the best trail though - the orange trail. I'm assuming it's on purpose since it's pretty techy. If you want a good challenge ride that up or down.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Looks like a decent loop. You could also add the loop closer to route 10 as well. That's the remembering Marty trail. It's pretty mild tech wise and has some little berms and bumps. You missed the best trail though - the orange trail. I'm assuming it's on purpose since it's pretty techy. If you want a good challenge ride that up or down.
Thanks for the recommendations !

xc62701

Pro tip. Plan to get lost...and end up over on rt 46 at the DQ after your ride or at the end of your ride. It's an easy pedal and worth it. It's all about recovery!

ebarker9

Few trees still down on new yellow but someone placed some rocks at them so it’s all easily rideable.

Creek crossing trail is in really bad shape and should be avoided. Almost always skip it dunno why I made that turn today...

All the main trails are PRIME tho. The two doubles leading into blue got some recent Botox in the lips, I see... I hit the step down into the road like 6 times haha.

I was there when it was being done. Not sure if there are any issues with "unauthorized" trail maintenance so I won't name names. Same person also put in some of the lips on the flat turn trail leading down to white from that same road.

Agreed on creek crossing...I tried it again because the initial descent in is pretty fun but the rest of it is not in great shape.

ebarker9

Which part was being done...the jumps? I’m pretty sure I could guess who did that lol.

Yes, cleaning up the lips of the jumps. And I'm sure that you can.

Edit: Will be riding there this evening if anyone cares to join. Done approximately 1 million laps of the place so any break in routine is welcome 😂

Last edited:

xc62701

Yes, cleaning up the lips of the jumps. And I'm sure that you can.

Edit: Will be riding there this evening if anyone cares to join. Done approximately 1 million laps of the place so any break in routine is welcome 😂

Have you wandered over to Hedden? Linked DM up with Patriots/Randolph Trails? I usually hit up DM but it's in amongst other places as well.

ebarker9

Haven't really tried Hidden in years. The last that I rode there it didn't really seem to make a lot of sense as mountain bike trails but might be worth another visit. I live very close to the Greenway and have done I think pretty much all of the Patriots Path/Randolph trails.

xc62701

Haven't really tried Hidden in years. The last that I rode there it didn't really seem to make a lot of sense as mountain bike trails but might be worth another visit. I live very close to the Greenway and have done I think pretty much all of the Patriots Path/Randolph trails.

Yea I've wandered through Hedden and it's not a great MTB destination, but it's good to use to mix it up. I live over by Shongum Lake so I typically ride Randolph Trails to Patriots behind Bills to the greenway over to Dickerson and back. That's a good standard loop.

mpope68

Yea I've wandered through Hedden and it's not a great MTB destination, but it's good to use to mix it up. I live over by Shongum Lake so I typically ride Randolph Trails to Patriots behind Bills to the greenway over to Dickerson and back. That's a good standard loop.
Do you have a link to that route or anything showing how to link it together? I have a friend who lives pretty close to Hedden and is just starting out who might not know the trails that well.

goldsbar

Hedden is a good edition if you're into old school rocks and steep hills (check). Trails are a mix of either smooth crushed gravel or rocky technical sections without cheater rocks. Not much in between. It's been several months since I've been. Who knows what the COVID crew has done to the place. It might be all paved?

Getting there is fairly easy. You need to find the trail that takes you to the school on Canfield. Behind the school is a quick loop that takes you to where Basset Ln dead ends. Cross Randolph Rd to Indian Falls Rd. You'll see a trail to the left down the hill. There's also a quick bonus trail by a stream on your right. Just look at a map and you'll figure it out.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions