Hasenclever Trail

gingertooth

You need to use the ny/nj trail conference map if you dont want to get lost. I have been riding this route for years to west milford and back. I've done it on my gravel bike a few times as well but I don't recommend it. It is hard on an mtb and 100% rideable if you are a technical skilled rider. Climbs in beginning are steep and then from there it is rocky and roots as hell in spots. When you get into the old mines it is muddy always...that is where it can get difficult to follow due to the state making reoutes and closers near the Ford plant. You can come right out in long pond ironworks and ride into non mtb legal territory into norvin green and into jungle habitat. But keep in mind norvin green at long pond ironworks will be the toughest trails you will even ride in NJ. They are my backyard ND love it there but it is insanely technical.... I would recommend taking road over to jungle from there. I'd say it will take you 1.5 -2 hrs from ringwood manor to long pond.

Kaleidopete

This new map is the latest revised map.
IMG_20210129_0001.jpg

serviceguy

Entering in from the Manor is the best bike permitted route.It is tough to navigate, I had to piece together multiple maps to figure it out and trail markers barely exist. You also need to ride through a toxic waste dump. I wound up exiting by lake behind the JH Compound.
Granted I had to back up early because my wife started having issues with one of her knees, markers were very clear and easy to follow starting from the manor. We aborted the hike just past the swamp and at what I would think is the beginning of the reroute, which was glazed specifically for the reason to avoid the super fund site. Unfortunately I deleted my strava hike because I forgot to switch it off until later in the evening when I was comfortably on the sofa at home...how far did you go into the trail?

Cannonbill

Recently? Because they just redid the route and I thought they would have marked it well with the new go a round the toxic area.
They may have re-routed around it, or I was using a collection of older maps. It was about 3 years ago, I found the adventure fun, but the riding was not worth the time and effort so I never went back.

Cannonbill

Granted I had to back up early because my wife started having issues with one of her knees, markers were very clear and easy to follow starting from the manor. We aborted the hike just past the swamp and at what I would think is the beginning of the reroute, which was glazed specifically for the reason to avoid the super fund site. Unfortunately I deleted my strava hike because I forgot to switch it off until later in the evening when I was comfortably on the sofa at home...how far did you go into the trail?
We took it all the way into the lake behind the JH compound and IBM

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@TheRealJimN was that the route you took for your super fat adventure a while back?

@soundz and I explored that stuff between Ringwood and Jungle once, but it was all pretty terrible.

The rides I did over the summer I just took the road instead. I didn't feel like eating ten thousand spider webs by myself.

Kaleidopete

Yeah I think that section from the Ironworks to Jungle is pretty terrible,
I was hoping the section from the Manor to the Ironworks would be better,
especially with the new reroute. Maybe I'll find out in the Spring.

Cannonbill

Yeah I think that section from the Ironworks to Jungle is pretty terrible,
I was hoping the section from the Manor to the Ironworks would be better,
especially with the new reroute. Maybe I'll find out in the Spring.
I think there is tremendous potential, but the manpower is limited and focused elsewhere. My current understanding is a better/more direct connect into Sterling from Ringwood is in the works. This should eliminate the road ride from the traffic light to south gate or caretaker. After that, my understanding is the connect into Jungle. This could take years.

Phased and focused. We are blessed.

gingertooth

It's not terrible at all if you know where your going and are a skilled technical mtbr.... there are multiple trail routes to jungle habitat, norvin green and sterling forest directly from the manor...

Cannonbill

Interesting, I did not find it technical or challenging, more so boring from a MTB perspective, i remember thinking it would be better as a gravel ride. But again, it was a few years back. Maybe 2021 is the right time to revisit.

gingertooth

Interesting, I did not find it technical or challenging, more so boring from a MTB perspective, i remember thinking it would be better as a gravel ride. But again, it was a few years back. Maybe 2021 is the right time to revisit.
Sounds like you went the wrong way

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions