The DIY thread - DIYourself

anyone know a good plumber in Morris county area - for the 2nd day in a row all of a sudden the washing machine drain seems to fill up too fast and over flows.

nothing else in the house seems to be an issue wonder if something is just partially blocking that drain.

1605541303856.png

anyone know a good plumber in Morris county area - for the 2nd day in a row all of a sudden the washing machine drain seems to fill up too fast and over flows.

nothing else in the house seems to be an issue wonder if something is just partially blocking that drain.

View attachment 143427

the stand pipe is supposed to be a min 2' tall and it looks like it goes into 1.5" rather than 2" - not going to fix that today tho.
could also be a vent problem - but doubtful.

and yes, if it has been working, it now has something blocking it. should be easy enough to snake to the clean-out, then pull the clean-out.
and snake down there. (should really use a scraper in the CI - they rent them if you want to DIY)

Yes, I will address the protection on the room side when we sell. One of my co-workers has the room side open and i have been admiring it via zoom for a few months now, haha. And yes, we know it will bascially encourage my girls to boardslide it constantly
FTFY

the stand pipe is supposed to be a min 2' tall and it looks like it goes into 1.5" rather than 2" - not going to fix that today tho.
could also be a vent problem - but doubtful.

and yes, if it has been working, it now has something blocking it. should be easy enough to snake to the clean-out, then pull the clean-out.
and snake down there. (should really use a scraper in the CI - they rent them if you want to DIY)
Thanks this setup has been this way since we moved in 20 years ago and no issues until yesterday so clear to me something is partially blocked somewhere.

I don’t have the time to DIY this one and wifey overruled DIY anyway. She texted some friends and we found someone who is part of the church club so he’s coming this afternoon.

I work in IT and we spend a lot of time talking about interim solutions or temporary fixes until normal operations can be restored.

who says duct tape doesnt fix everything:

1605561830336.png

@Patrick my guy is here now and the first thing he said was the drain is supposed to be 2". first thing he did when he came back in from his truck was cut all that stuff off.

whoever wants to stay tuned I will have a highly recommended plumber friend for you all shortly, whatever this costs will be worth it IMO. hardest part is staying out of his way and not hovering so I don't get charged extra ;-)

Diagnosis was correct drain needed good clean out and flush.

Guy said that setup was likely original with the house and he changed it to be correct and if ever needs a cleaning again can be easily taken apart and put back together.

Best $350 I spent recently. highly recommend Rich Poline plumbing and heating if you need a guy. He’s a one man show but super neat clean and responsive.
Today I called him at 11 and he was here at 4pm as promised.

Forgot He did our hot water tank a few years back called him at 10:30 at night and he showed up at 10am the next day with the new hot heater already in his truck as I had sent him pics of everything here already.

B78B5399-5E9A-4601-B565-CAB003ED856C.jpeg

View attachment 143427
Could be lint build up in a trap. Try shoving a coat hanger down to see what you can free up.

Take the plug out of the cast iron and feel around. Lint may have also built up at the cast iron.

What feeds the rest of that stack?
DIY just got a whole lot easier :D

View attachment 143448

so easy in fact that my wife can use it

spent a little time replacing one of the rear calipers thats been dragging, 2nd one in just over a year, at least they are both new now.
Better tell her that the heat is in the tools.

Could be lint build up in a trap. Try shoving a coat hanger down to see what you can free up.

Take the plug out of the cast iron and feel around. Lint may have also built up at the cast iron.

What feeds the rest of that stack?

The rest of the drain comes from the kitchen sink dishwasher and upstairs shower. It was overdue for a good flush out and the plumber got paid and I didn’t f*ck anything up trying to DIY it so everyone’s happy.

white trim and risers, the step itself will be dark gray

it isn't hard to carpet stairs if there is left-over from the floor.
no padding (well you could put it on the treads)
and no tackless or stretching
anyway - will discuss if that becomes an option.

it isn't hard to carpet stairs if there is left-over from the floor.
no padding (well you could put it on the treads)
and no tackless or stretching
anyway - will discuss if that becomes an option.
Yeah, we decided to not do the stairs for cost reasons. Somehow carpet is like 1/3 the cost of finishing the entire basement 🤔

Back
Top Bottom