The DIY thread - DIYourself

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
had to replace the cartridge valve in the kitchen sink, it was dripping from under the handle whenever the water was on makeing a mess (delta lifetime warranty FTW)

20201123_092852.jpg
20201123_093352.jpg

also put a coat (Ok, maybe more like 4 or 5, i used 2.5 cans of the stuff) of paint (ok bedliner) on the front bumper of the truck to make up for the parkway sandblast effect that was stripping the paint off quite efficiently. as a note i intentionally bought the truck with the steel bumper, didnt think the highway would strip it so fast.

20201123_101023.jpg

rlb

to make up for the parkway sandblast effect

I think every highway in NJ is out to get your paint job. Not sure if it's the constant stream of dump trucks up and down 287, the tons of salt that go on the road ever time a snow flake is forecast, or maybe cars just have crappy paint these days?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Did you miter or butt joint the corners?

check the price of #1/select pine before dismissing PVC wraps ($150 in HD).
1x4 might not be big enough, they are tricky to align.
you could go really pro and get interlocking router bits

wrap in rock, use outside corner molding, rather than corner bead. no spackle.
add some top and bottom detail, and maybe a horizontal band to break it up.
This also makes for a soft outside corner that won't rip out, or cause as many stitches.

SmooveP

I did use that at some
Point, ripped the paint clean off the wall
Yeah, that happens. Possible causes for that are: leaving the tape on too long, insufficient surface prep before painting wall, or wall paint not completely cured. I've only tried the green version, but they also sell the "sensitive surfaces" version. I don't recall seeing it in the stores, though.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think every highway in NJ is out to get your paint job. Not sure if it's the constant stream of dump trucks up and down 287, the tons of salt that go on the road ever time a snow flake is forecast, or maybe cars just have crappy paint these days?

your probably right about every highway in NJ, i just happen to drive the parkway back and forth to work in the normal times so that got he blame.

As for crappy paint, the paint on the body is holding up fine, and my other car the bumper is fine (its a plastic covered bumper) so my suspicion is bc i bought the base model work truck without the bumper cover thats what the issue is, plenty of these trucks around with the plastic bumpers where the paint looks fine (i mean they wouldnt rust away if it wasnt either).

Paint was pretty thin when i sanded the bumper, but im not sure if thats from cheaping out on coats at the factory or from the highway stripping it down :shrug: either way its not a nice coat of durable paint on it now, ill have to decide if i want to do the rear to match, maybe ill try the roll on version for that instead of the spray on

Reactions: rlb

Patrick

Staff member
Too lazy to put a sub-panel in - so it is so crowded. Not sure why i didn't.
Then I put in the portable generator transfer switch (temporary for an emergency).
can't put the cover on the box.

Anyway - getting a whole home generator - mounting the transfer switch inside,
so added a new board.
When that gets set, I'll clean-up all the wires, and maybe add the sub-panel.
Where I'll be totally screwed because the wires will be too short.

1606505882260.png

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Then I put in the portable generator transfer switch (temporary for an emergency).

so added a new board.

View attachment 144128
What type of whole house generator? My parents installed a generac propane system last year. I thought it was overkill but it got over 4 days of run time this year with all the windstorms.

Patrick

Staff member
What type of whole house generator? My parents installed a generac propane system last year. I thought it was overkill but it got over 4 days of run time this year with all the windstorms.

Generac NG system.
Actually have to get a larger gas meter!

Whole house with load shedding for A/C and Pool pump.

serviceguy

so added a new board.

View attachment 144128
C’mon, could you not find a more intriguing tool than the blade sharpener to pop in the picture? You know, something like the 3D dick printer that @The Landfill of Slacktown just got!

Patrick

Staff member
C’mon, could you not find a more intriguing tool than the blade sharpener to pop in the picture? You know, something like the 3D dick printer that @The Landfill of Slacktown just got!

real horse shoe, and 50yo hand oil can.
black box hanging out the bottom is a T1 circuit into the house.
The handle on the left side of the pic is a chain saw sharpener.
i'll try to get more in next time - nothing interesting - the ban saw, and drill press.
solder station and an explosion of stuff in different stages of brokenness!!!!

Mahnken

so added a new board.

View attachment 144128

Mines gonna look like that soon, lol. Gonna put in a few tandem breakers to free up some space for a portable generator, not going to use a transfer switch, maybe just an interlock kit to make sure the main stays off when the generator is turned on. And I need space for a Tesla wall charger. Think I'm gonna run conduit for that instead of romex. With the conduit I can run 6awg for a 60amp circuit, with romex I'd need 4awg, and that crap is expensive (it'll be about 70' from the panel). The charger could be setup for a 50amp circuit, so I could get away with 6/3 romex, and I will set it up as a 50amp circuit because I only have a 150 amp main anyway. But if I ever upgrade to a 200amp service it would be nice to set the wall charger up to it's maximum capacity.

I guess I could also just take off the breaker for the well water to free up room as well. It's only used for the sprinkler system and I haven't turned that on for a few years now, the clover keeps the lawn looking green with minimal water so I don't need the added expense.
PXL_20201127_224716801.jpg

Top Bottom