Winter Shoes?

I did some research last year and there's only so many choices:

- sidi
- lake
- shimano
- pearl izumi
- northwave

I ended up with the Shimano 2 sizes larger. After 1hr of riding, my toes still get cold when it's really cold out. I've resigned to the fact that I'm just one of those people and just carry toe warmers with me.

something else people swear by in places like alaska is some combination of socks with spd sandles .. i'm not joking, look it up

something else people swear by in places like alaska is some combination of socks with spd sandles .. i'm not joking, look it up

I could see this. I think one of my problems is that my feet sweat. I mean, I sweat a lot so it stands to reason that my feet sweat. It's not like I'm a relatively dry with just absurdly sweaty feet. I'm absurdly sweaty from top to bottom.

Anywho, yeah I don't think I'll be trying that but I'm open to ideas to keep me out of the basement.

wow, 2 sizes is quite a bit.

Well, they are supposed to have a small toe box, so I got 2 sizes larger. They fit pretty big with 1 thin layer of socks, but are ridable. With thick socks, they fit ok. With thin socks and think socks, they fit pretty good. Sometimes I put a thicker sole on it when I ride with just thin socks and they fit ok then.

I did a review of some pearl izumi barrier vtx's. I'm sure you can find it in the reviews area.

They're sick. 2 full winters of trashing them and they are still going strong. They're a little big and bulky, but when you put on the summer shoes, they feel that much lighter. I totally recommend them.

I did a review of some pearl izumi barrier vtx's. I'm sure you can find it in the reviews area.

They're sick. 2 full winters of trashing them and they are still going strong. They're a little big and bulky, but when you put on the summer shoes, they feel that much lighter. I totally recommend them.

I have the Barrier's, also agree with jshort have had for 3 years and no problems. On really cold days like 20 or below can become a little cold on the toes.

Snowshoes

Here you go if these are your size:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24302&highlight=lake

i have the same kind. highly recommended...

I rode through the winter with these shoes, not light but exactly the boot you want for doing a foot dab into a deep puddle or taking a six hour ride in below freezing conditions. I bought a size 43 as my specialized shoes were 43's. Since then I went down to a 42 shoe for 'normal wear' may consider a new pair of Lakes in a 42 if I can get my foot in/out of them. I am an 8.5 or 9 in a non-biking shoe.

Best trick ever when it's really cold out: put your winter shoes on the passenger floorboard on the drive from home to the parking lot. So much better than leaving them in the trunk.

Oh, and I have been happy with my Sidi Diablo. 2+ seasons and still good. I tried the Specialized Defroster and they were waterproof, but not warm enough for me.

Best trick ever when it's really cold out: put your winter shoes on the passenger floorboard on the drive from home to the parking lot. So much better than leaving them in the trunk.

Oh, and I have been happy with my Sidi Diablo. 2+ seasons and still good. I tried the Specialized Defroster and they were waterproof, but not warm enough for me.

Specialized redesigned their Defrosters for this year. I have some coming in this week. I'm still highly doubtful they will be better than the Lakes. Lakes may be big and bulky, but they are definitely warm. I still have most of a size run of Lakes.

I see the new Defrosters have the BOA system. Has that gotten any better? The only complaint I've heard about the Lakes (other than they are bulky) is that the BOA system is finicky.

Back
Top Bottom