Winter Gear ??

This list makes it sound like you get cold pretty easy.
No learned how to dress but my feet sweat real easy so if I don't wear the toe warmers on my feet they do get cold. I use to carry 2 pair of socks and change out at lunch time.
Once I am dressed I don't. Most of that is for 28 and under except the toe warmers.

No learned how to dress but my feet sweat real easy so if I don't wear the toe warmers on my feet they do get cold. I use to carry 2 pair of socks and change out at lunch time.
Once I am dressed I don't. Most of that is for 28 and under except the toe warmers.

I mean, at 45 degrees I'm still in 100% Summer kit. I don't even bring Toe Warmers or Lobster Gloves to Alaska with me.

I mean, at 45 degrees I'm still in 100% Summer kit. I don't even bring Toe Warmers or Lobster Gloves to Alaska with me.
9ba15edf0be9e843a97be163ac423e01_orig.jpg

Actual photo of Jim in Alaska, off the bike, chatting with Yukon Cornelius, Herbie the Dentist, and Rudolph.

Note the lack of winter cycling gear.

Merino wool base layers; pearl Izumi trail pants; cycling short sleeve shirt; light wind breaker jacket; wool socks; addidas winter weather gloves with grips; flat shoes; balaclava. I'll bring toe warmers but use them only once in a while. I ride all year.

Buy a couple of merino wool 1/4 zips from Joseph A Bank when they go on sale. They're 1/5 of the price of something comparable from the cycling world, and do just as well (better, even--they vent heat thanks to the knit).

I just rotate the ones I can't keep up with patching anymore into the riding rotation, until they're falling apart. Should last 3-4 years with a modicum of care, and are cheap enough on sale to not worry about busting them up. I'll wear them alone from Spring 55s down to around 40.

Deepest NJ winter requires naught but a pair of nylon pants, one of those, and a shell. Overheat-y during the day, even.

My hands, on the other hand, need all the help I can get. As illustrated earlier by @Steve Vai , I use fancy Riv mittens on the road when it gets consistently under 32s. They suck off road for anything not snow groomed, so I do with PI 5 finger winter gloves there...on the plus side, I can easily flip-off people by giving my hands a wiggle to get them off 😆 Hand warmers if it's really cold. I've an old pair of Spec lobster claws, but they're far too warm for anything above the low 20's, by themselves.

For me it's mostly long pants, dry wicking shirt underneath. Long sleeve shirt and a windproof vest. Some type of hat, heavier as it gets colder. Heavy gloves. I used workbooks a size bigger with wool socks.

I need to be a little cold when I start out, once I warm up I'm fine.

The key for me is a cap. Anything over 50 I'm in summer clothes. In the 40s I might wear a skull cap and light long sleeve shirt.

30s I'll wear long pants and vest

Yo I use them for my single speed and the look alittle stupid, but my hands are nice and warm..also you need your feet to be warm and dry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_214302_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_214302_Chrome.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 38
When the temperature is between 32 and 42 is when it's hard to dress. This year i'm going to try full length regular tights that may be the answer

Plastic bags over your toes or entire foot, sock over top. Bags keep the sock from getting soaked. If you dont like the feel of the bag on your foot, liner sock underneath

We have sold LAKE winter shoes forever as they are wider and likely warmer than most.

But I just brought in these from shimano as they are lighter and frankly the Lakes are almost too much for our winters here in NJ

1701614625618.png

Even though they say WIDE on the box, they are actually narrower than Lake shoes in the regular width.

If you wear Altra or other foot shaped shoes, the Wide from lake is hard to beat.

1701614765270.png

If my Feet, fingers and ears are warm, the rest comes pretty easy.

Does anyone have the redesigned 45Nrth Wolvhammer or Wolfgar? On their website they state they are now compatible with flat pedals and I’m wondering how well they work on flats. I used to ride the Wolfgar with clips but have since moved to flats and I’m looking for a new winter boot that works decent with flat pedals.
Since no one directly answered my question and there have been 17 posts about balaclavas and wearing bags on your feet I decided to do my own research and bought the Wolvhammers? 😉

Since no one directly answered my question and there have been 17 posts about balaclavas and wearing bags on your feet I decided to do my own research and bought the Wolvhammers? 😉

No one knows because the Wolvhammers are super overkill for the Northeast 😉

That guy is gonna have to sign up for a winter ultra somewhere, because them shoes ain’t selling 😂

@pygmypony
these are still available by the way!

the lakes are likely spoken for but the wolvhammers are avail, and i would be willing to give them up for a 4 pack of tasty IPAs at this point! they are just taking up space in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom